Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to pack a projector in checked bags on airline - any advice/experience?

Default Is it ok to pack a projector in checked bags on airline - any advice/experience?

I'm going out of town for a week for work/meetings. I'm busy all day but bored at night and would like to program a show in my hotel room at night. I would rather program a new show or play around with Beyond to learn 3D than watch TV all night.

Only problem is flying with my projector. It is small approx 12"x10"x6" and will fit in my suitcase, but I'm afraid of what will happen when my bag is checked, x-ray'd and a "box of electronics & wires" is noticed. I will not carry the bag on the plane, I'll check the bag, but don't want to be hassled or put on some watch list.

Any experiences good or bad with bringing your laser on a plane?
    Eric in New Orleans

I've never done it myself, but many, MANY people have done so to attend various Laser Enthusiast's Meetings over the years.

Couple tips:

1) Pack it *very* securely. Ever see how the baggage handlers toss your bags around at the airport? That's their "good behavior" that they use when people are watching. When no one can see them they are even more careless. Think about that. Make sure it's well-protected.

2) Watch out for the weight limit on your bags. Ragdoll had to pay a $200 fine because his bag topped out at just over 104 pounds when he flew to the Caribb-LEM last February. His projector is what added all the extra weight.

3) Remember to pack EVERYTHING you need. ILDA cables, Network cables, IEC power cables, Interlock hardware, keyswitch, etc. Nothing sucks worse than to arrive at your destination and discover you can't fire up the projector because you forgot something simple. (Radio Shack, Best Buy, et al do *not* carry ILDA cable, BTW.)

4) Bring a few extra tools with you so you can do simple repairs like alignment adjustment and/or scanner tuning. Put any tools in the checked bag so TSA won't have a fit.

One final thought. If your projector is really that small, you may want to put just the projector in your carry-on luggage instead. If they ask, just tell the TSA it's a laser projector, similar to a video projector, and it's used for audio-visual entertainment. They won't give you any trouble (though they might ask you to remove it from the bag - check first - and maybe they'll have you turn it on if they're really being assholes), and you can better-protect it from damage that way.

Adam

Why not transplant the make/model badge from a Casio 140 video projector on the front, and cover any laser warning stickers also. No alarm bells will ring then!
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    One final thought. If your projector is really that small, you may want to put just the projector in your carry-on luggage instead. If they ask, just tell the TSA it's a laser projector, similar to a video projector, and it's used for audio-visual entertainment. They won't give you any trouble (though they might ask you to remove it from the bag - check first - and maybe they'll have you turn it on if they're really being assholes), and you can better-protect it from damage that way.
    You must remove any large electronic item from your bag. If its bigger than a ipad it must come out. If you just send it through you will have to take it out of the bag to send it through the xray again and also be subject to additional screening. Take it from someone who goes through security 120 times a year

Why don't you just program it on your laptop pc then adjust it on the laser when you come back? Probably save you money on excess baggage as well.

Failing that, if you're doing a beam show, get a copy of Light Converse off Pangolin (they have a cheaper dedicated version), its the dogs and practically as good as having a projector in the room!
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-07-2013 at 11:32.

I can recall at least one dented projector at SELEM from this being done. Don't know how much you have invested in your projector, but why not purchase a pelican case locally and not take any chances? Either that, or just carry it on? I traveled with a similar sized projector to Chicago (a little larger, actually), as a carry on in a canvas tote and had no troubles from anyone. As long as it can fit under a seat, you should be ok.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Platinum has flown with his laser projector as a carry-on to SELEM and SoCaLEM... You could ask him. I would rather carry it on than have it be a football.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I've put a projector in a carry on, padded it with a spare change of clothes (should the airline lose my luggage). Yes they wanted to know what it was, so I told them. But other than them dabbing some stuff on it to "test it and make sure it won't explode" it was pretty quick.

I just let them know it's very fragile and I'm going to be very upset if they drop it, and that it's worth more than the car they drive. Had no problems as it was in my sight the entire time. I even had to plug it in at one stop so they could see what it did. They were very impressed lol

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Platinum designed his to be under the size requirements for a carry on and I believe has never had a problem. I checked 1 projector in a flightcase to go to TEXLEM and had no issues. The biggest problem on that trip was all my support stuff - cables, modules, dacs', external hard drives, docking station, laptop, ilda splitter, was in my carry on. I really only took like two pairs of clothes and toiletries - everything else was electronic and laser gear so I had to unpack everything and split it up between like 7 of those plastic bins to go through security. Kinda pissed off people around me for taking so long to get through.

Coming back, I put the ilda cable into the flight case and it put me over the 50lb limit by two pounds and they wanted an extra $25 baggage fee so, I ending up putting it back in the carry on. I would have been better off checking my original " carry on" bag and taking the laser as my carry on. The ONLY thing they gave me an issue about - with all this strange electrical stuff was a damn 6 oz. bottled water that the hotel gave us in a gift bag with some snacks.

It was pretty cold for TEXLEM (superbowl weekend) and when Platinum un packed his projector it was icy cold and was sweating-so i know he had it in checked baggage that time. he did not want to run it until it warmed up and dried out.

So consider anything checked in the cooler months to have been kept in a freezer during the flight.

When I fly I never put my CPAP in checked luggage as if it is lost I do not sleep very well--every time I fly I have been asked to remove it so they can have a look but i have never been asked to turn it on. Also apparently I am in 'the system' as a CPAP owner as twice they asked me to remove my CPAP for inspection and how else would they know what I am carrying??

I always tell them i have steel pins in my knee- I wear shorts and show them the scar on my knee from 4 surgeries BUT the make me go thru a pat down every time. The wand only beeps near my knee but that never seems to be enough for them. one flight a while back they returned me my ticket and with-out looking I put it in my briefcase- While I was putting my shoes back on i just happened to overhear a lady say my name.. They had given her my ticket and me hers- Lucky i heard that as i would have walked all the way to the gate(aren't they ALWAYS the farthest one?) only to find i did not have my own ticket- and the lady the same..

not flying to SELEM again..

@ Brad
    interesting factoid- we are NOT allowed to bring a bottle of water with us .....UNLESS it is frozen -- then its allowed.