Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N-RGB3000 from Goldenstarlaser

Laser Warning N-RGB3000 from Goldenstarlaser

I'm by no means an expert on laser projectors however I do have experience with electronics and various computer systems and subassemblies in the photographic minilab business. I'm an electrician by trade now and I do know what looks good.

So, I've had this new laser a few days now and still have a few issues to iron out, but before I seem to moan too much about it, I do think overall it is great!!

Firstly Winni @ Goldenstar has been very helpful indeed and we have had many emails sent, mainly due to my lack of the Chinese language, luckily her English is pretty good though!

I wanted the smaller case, which took a while to stock but when it arrived the unit was built swiftly and then delivery was only 2 1/2 days! It arrived nicely packaged in its sturdy flight case and on opening was impressed with the build quality, it looked neat and although a few labels seem to have errors on (main one is the class 3b laser warning, not class 4!) it looked to be a solid unit. My only gripe with the case is the handle when folded, rubs the top edges of the case, front and back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130709162052484.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	39117

After setting it all up and plugging it in the first thing you cannot miss is those fans! I'm not sure they need that much air blasting through, but boy the thing must be like a fridge in there.
    I proceeded with the Quickshow 's initial settings and beamed the first beams, it is way too powerful for my living room but with the lack of a test venue, it will have to do.
    I have had to turn the blue down to 75-85% to get a decent white and the red seems larger the the other two but okay at this short throw. Further tests to be done in a larger hall... I tried a few stock cues then some shows from the Pangolin site, with a little smoke in the room it all looks amazing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130709162105013.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	39118

I had the lcd panel installed as this was apparently needed for the safety board that I requested, so too were the x/y flips in the lcd software, but whilst the panel lights up and all looks okay, I cannot seem to get either axis to flip, I think there may be an internal problem and I am working on that, meanwhile when the FB3 is plugged in I have to tick the 'invert-x' box in QS. - I am not sure how the safety board bit works at this stage either?

I am also having issues with the scanners, the angle is set at 8 degrees and the test image is flickering quite a lot, see here for example: https://vimeo.com/69988562 - password is 'steviobee' - the frame rate on the video seems to be exagerating it but it is quite flickery.

I had also asked for RGB power pots to be fitted but these weren't, something I will have to source (Stanwax) and install myself.

Overall, like I say, I am pleased with the unit, and once the flickering and fans are sorted, will be a lot happier, the red is bearable and the RGB pots will be installed at a later date.

I tried to take pictures of the beams but I don't think they really do the unit justice so haven't included them.

Winni is still great at after sales and is looking to resolve the issues, I will update when sorted.

Would I recommend? Yes, but maybe leave the LCD unit and just get x/y back panel flip switches and RGB pots if desired.
    Last edited by steviobee; 07-09-2013 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by steviobee View Post
    Further tests to be done in a larger hall... .
    You'll be attending the next LEM then

Whats it like scanning. Other stuff ? Some test stuff can have mild flicker at 30k
    I still get flicker on some graphics or complicated beam stuff at 40k
    What scanset was fitted ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    You'll be attending the next LEM then
    Indeed I am, see you there.....

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    Whats it like scanning. Other stuff ? Some test stuff can have mild flicker at 30k
    I still get flicker on some graphics or complicated beam stuff at 40k
    What scanset was fitted ?
    The scanners are DT40's and most of the time they are okay, beams, basic stuff, etc but anything relatively complicated they seem to fall over and flicker a fair bit at the moment.

Where in brighton are you ?
    I am only 20 min away could pop down one evening
    And try it with a fb3qs and beyond and see how it looks
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have dt40w's in my projector and they're quite capable of projecting reasonably complex frames with a minimal of flicker. the simple test pattern in your video should be pretty rock solid.

one disadvantage of the fb3/quickshow is it has a hardcoded limit of 30kpps, but you're not bumping up against that.

Quote Originally Posted by steviobee View Post
    Indeed I am, see you there.....

The scanners are DT40's and most of the time they are okay, beams, basic stuff, etc but anything relatively complicated they seem to fall over and flicker a fair bit at the moment.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

You will want to ditch the Auto/LCD stuff. I would have avoided that option. The scan safety boards from china all seem to just cut output when the scanner stops or goes below a set "speed" I guess you would say. Most have a pot on them. Did I say I hate the Auto shit...heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    You will want to ditch the Auto/LCD stuff. I would have avoided that option. The scan safety boards from china all seem to just cut output when the scanner stops or goes below a set "speed" I guess you would say. Most have a pot on them. Did I say I hate the Auto shit...heheh
    I think I'm starting to wonder that!

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    Where in brighton are you ?
    I am only 20 min away could pop down one evening
    And try it with a fb3qs and beyond and see how it looks
    Wow. That would be great! Am taking it into the Brighton Centre on Monday to test it out, should be interesting, but any night other than that? I'll PM my number...

The best part about ditching the auto board is learning how its all wired to prep you for building one of your own or upgrades down the line. Just be glad you got the "LCD" option as the other china auto play device leave a much bigger hole. =)

Aside from the issues as above, was projecting some shows into the trees on Saturday night and it looked awesome!