Thread: American Music Supply

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default American Music Supply

This isn't laser related, so much as it is sound related although AMS does carry lighting as well.

As most of you no doubt know, I run a large banquet center and when it was built, the owners installed a kick ass sound system designed for multiple applications. Mainly for DJ's to not bring in speakers, amps etc. It works well - loud - clear as a bell but, the biggest complaint is it didn't shake the walls with bass. Since starting there, I've personally paid for and built a back up system (in case of emergency) but also for use with the lasers. It was always suggested by DJ's that I look into powered subs. I'd seen Ragdolls at SELEM the past couple years and since "keeping up with the Jones" seems to be my middle name, decided to get Mackie HD1801's just like his.

I recently started seeing ads on the web for a company called American Music Supply and what caught my attention was not only did they have reasonable prices, they let you spread out payment with no interest on purchases over $250. They had a sale recently on the HD1801's (B-stock) so, I bought one. They were very communicative right from the start. Since my purchase was spread over the next 8 months at $100 per month, I was contacted by the credit dept who were very easy going. But I was also contacted along the way by shipping and customer service, who checked in to let me know it was ready for shipping, then when it had been picked up etc. FedEX had it here very quickly.

All fine and good. I unpacked it and hooked it up. Stupid loud! Almost TOO much bass - even in a 7000+ sf room! However, after about two hours use, it crapped out and stopped giving any output. No fuses. No resetting for thermal overload. Nothing.

AMS was quick to provide a prepaid return lable and as soon as UPS picked it up, they released another one for shipping to me. (Only glitch with AMS has been the second one was delivered to my house rather than work - 113 lb box on the front lawn all day!) The second one lasted about two weeks and then did exactly the same thing. Still had power so it wasn't a fuse but, signal and thermal overload LEDs lit (power light actually went off) and no output. Another call to AMS and another repacking and shipping back of the sub.

Number three arrived a couple days later. They claimed they were going to open this one up and test it before shipping to me. I hooked it up this past Tuesday and it lasted 2 minutes... maybe three. Now... understand there is really nothing to screw up here - even for an electrical numpty like me. Line level signal goes in, line level signal goes out. So, I was pretty certain it wasn't anything I did. This time though, a DJ friend of mine helped me troubleshoot and we did establish it was completely within the unit. You can just plug it into the wall with no signal wires attached, whack the cabinet with the palm of your hand and it would go into overload mode. Time to pack up sub number three of the last 5 weeks.

AMS has agreed to ship a brand new (rather than B stock) for no additional charge. So we'll see in a couple of days. But, this review is two fold - on for AMS who has been excellent to deal with. So if you need any sound or lighting gear, might be worth a look. And secondly for Mackie who, I understand has also gone down hill in terns of quality the past few years. We'll see how sub number four fares probably on Monday...

Can you take a photo of the amplifier AMS? I want to compare it with the original amp from 1801.
    Not every line is shorter than the curve.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just got the new sub in two days ago and got it unboxed. It may be Monday before I could get a picture since I'm out of town the next two days and don't have a chance to take it apart today.