Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DeLEM Possibility

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default DeLEM Possibility

As many of you know, I've wanted to potentially host a LEM for some time as I manage a facility that lends itself quite well to a laser event. The problem is... being a banquet and conference center means that our primary business happens on weekends and it would be difficult to justify to the owners letting me say "no" to potentially $20,000 or more of possible business, for a bunch of laser geeks to get together. Ocasionally there has been an open Friday night or Saturday but, they are few and far between. 2014 is already pretty much out of the picture.

However....

I've been closely watching one weekend, as nobody has even inquired about doing something on those dates and, that is the last weekend of this year. It falls between Christmas and New Years - December 27, 28, 29. I suspect it will continue to be a hard weekend to book. At best, I may get some late request to host a small birthday or anniversary or something (and could turn it down) but, certainly not a wedding or corporate holiday party so I can probably make this happen. So the question is...

How many people would have an interest in attending and... realistically could/would you?

The location is Newark, Delaware (about 30 minutes south of Philadelphia). It's about 90 seconds off of I-95. Being 5 minutes from University of Delaware, there are local inexpensive hotels and motels nearby. We are not a hotel as many people seem to think... it's a large banquet hall with a large lobby and both areas are dividable into smaller rooms. There is a regular full bar with 8 beers on draught right in the lobby and ballroom. There is unused 480v 3 phase power available, (w/cam locs), 220v 3 phase, regular 220v and scads of 110v circuits. Running water, loading dock, half million dollar state of the art kitchen readily available, 14' ceilings, excellent sound system that plays throughout, etc.

This is NOT official... it's just a feeler for interest. Four or five of you have been here at one point or another and can hopefully attest to it being a good LEM location and midway through the SELEM cycle for those that are jonesing for photons. It's just bad that it's in the middle of the holiday season.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-19-2013 at 06:42.

Cool.... I'm in!!! Of course that's not saying much considering I'm 10 minutes down the road

Mark

And are practically ready to have your own key. LOL

(Got another 20 or so shows for Showeditor. Now it gets harder as I need to track down some obsure music that's not distributed with a number of these other shows.)

I just worry about travel that time of year. Don't wanna be caught in a snow storm. I know it is early in the winter but my luck.
    leading in trailing technology

I have a few friends up that way who would like to attend- too far for me but not them.. That is normally a dead weekend-

OR maybe you could hold a 7 day LEM that starts on a Sat morning and ends on a Friday (late) night.

I hosted one in Nov. after returning from SELEM 2010-(my first real LEM) worst weekend for it - two of my peeps had birthday parties that MOVED TO TWO DIFFERENT CLUBS for the last hours of the partying and My competitive cooking team The Pitmeisters has a small cook-off that same weekend- But with the kindness of Platinum and 300Evil Adam we had a huge success anyway - Just us three 'laserisists' and a dozen of my hardcore friends- were able to attend but we jammed til 4 am-- killed the music amp around 1 AM so One buddy drove his truck inside the rented warehouse to crank up the tines for another 3 hrs,

I can't speak for Rick- but he may have room for another in the vehicle leaving Dallas AFAIK Wed- arriving early Thursday we both are staying for the LSO so we will not be leaving for Texas until after the exam. Last word was Rick planned to haul a enclosed trailer and part of the load will be items carried to SELEM from Steve's going-out-of-biz sale for guys who have made buys.. Get with Rick about that--IMHO something would need to be offered to help with the gas-- but that too is Rick's Call. Shipping heavy stuff(Rick says it will be more than 2000 lbs of gear ) would not be cheap nor would you get the care we will be taking of the items.. Just returned forn AixiZ and Chuck has stepped up again this year like the last three- someone will be taking home a QS FB3- a green Labby and a 1W 445 labby-plus other items
    ... last word was being there for the drawing of the winners was required to win- & this will be done around 4 to 6PM on Sat. --good luck to all.. THANKS Dr Chuck for the continued support.

Also KGB Brooks had planned to meet up with me tonite in Houston but the show planned there was cancelled--Brooks also has some door prizes for us..TY BROOKS!! (if anyone is doing SELEM and will be in San Antonio Friday 7/12 (TOMORROW!!)please contact me and perhaps you can pick up those items from KGB .... >(*U*)<....

Hi Suman,

Welcome to PL. I see you've learned to cut and paste. That's a good start since it's sometimes necessary in writing posts. Not quite sure what it has to do with DeLEM but thanks for the thread bump. The possible event started to look shaky since someone was looking at booking Saturday but, they backed out so, that weekend it still holding up as being a possibility.

All since my job recently relocated me to our branch @ Nasa Goddard Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Va near Chincoteauge. I am interested in a meet around here.

After a couple more months of work I may also be able to find us a location. But with workups to a SEPT 15TH launch and the LADEE moon mission on the 6th of september I will be to busy to search a location right now.

I spoke too soon. Just got a girl calling about doing a wedding on Friday night. Hope not but, we'll see. Grr... Only good thing is it would just be a cocktail reception and about 80 people which means I could just use half the facility and still perhaps have a load in of sorts.

Ok... as an update. The weekend is still unbooked AND... my first official advertised ticketed public show (A Laser Odyssey) is going to be that Friday night. I'm working on the marketing materials now. PL members may naturally attend for free. The plan is for three shows. 7pm, 8:30pm and 10pm. There will be a cash bar and concession food available. My plan is $8 for one show, $15 for 2 and $20 for all three. The first show will be a Christmas themed show, the second something either rock or pop oriented and the third will a Pink Floyd show. Exact set lists/content to be determined. It will incorporate 3 large 12 x 16 foot scrims with rear projection and matched projectors, beam work (both RGB and beam table), and lumia & scan through effects on the back wall behind the scrim.

Satuday and Sunday are both open for an impromtu LEM. At this point - no charge but also no shirts, no arranged seminars, but maybe some door prizes. I'm going to be brain dead following the holidays as well as from planning this show so, we may very well just roll with it and do whatever us addicts want to do. Want to see your stuff in a room larger than your basement or family room? Bring it along! Plenty of tables to set up and tinker. We can do a Club SELEM type set up if people want or, an auditorium set up or... since the ballroom is dividable - both. (Although the music may compete.) I also just invested in a large Global Truss set up so plenty of projectors (a few hundred pounds worth) can be hung if you have 2" clamps. (I have extras.)

We joke in AA that all it takes to have an AA meeting is two drunks and a coffee pot. My theory is all it takes to have a LEM is two laser geeks and an electrical outlet (and a waiver!) so, it ought to at least be a good time.

I'm going to continue to say this is a "go" and report back but, if something big last minute pops up that I can't regrettably turn away, I may have to change course. I'm still getting calls from companies that have waited until the last minute to schedule holiday parties although, most do not want that weekend.