Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DirectSound and output ILDA to sound card

I can tell you this: I have an echo Layla 24/96 and the only way I can get more than stereo out of it is to open a set of waves in Cool Edit Pro and rout each wave to a channel of the Layla. It's kind-of a PITA.

When I use any device that was made for 5.1 or 7.1 sound, all I need to do is double click on a multi-channel wave and it comes up playing in Spider Player.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Not a problem. Just do what CEP does. or Cakewalk, Cubase, etc, and open multiple ports and send stereo waves using separate wave headers, buffers, etc, for each pair. You have 'Multiclient Audio' in Layla's settings on, no? If not, that might be stopping you. (I don't know how CEP could override this is it were disabled though.) One thing: If you want two mono's, one left, one right, to one stereo port, I'm not sure if even Multiclient mode will let you do that. Probably got to combine them as stereo. I bet that's what CEP and the rest do anyway.

EDIT: I don't use Linux or know Spider Player, but any chance that can be used to separate into pairs either for resaving, or routing, etc? Could be useful if so.

MORE EDIT: Got to love 'technically still banned'!
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 07-24-2013 at 09:07.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you can use the free tool "audacity" for editing 8 track audio files and and saving/re-arranging tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Not a problem. Just do what CEP does. or Cakewalk, Cubase, etc, and open multiple ports and send stereo waves using separate wave headers, buffers, etc, for each pair. You have 'Multiclient Audio' in Layla's settings on, no? If not, that might be stopping you. (I don't know how CEP could override this is it were disabled though.) One thing: If you want two mono's, one left, one right, to one stereo port, I'm not sure if even Multiclient mode will let you do that. Probably got to combine them as stereo. I bet that's what CEP and the rest do anyway.

EDIT: I don't use Linux or know Spider Player, but any chance that can be used to separate into pairs either for resaving, or routing, etc? Could be useful if so.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    you can use the free tool "audacity" for editing 8 track audio files and and saving/re-arranging tracks.
    Just comes down to data format conversion. Thanks though, useful info. Eventually my synthesiser will be multitimbral and I'd rather use a standard format than invent my own when making demo sounds available, not least because of compatibility troubles. Always good to know what's likely to please people best.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I can tell you this: I have an echo Layla 24/96 and the only way I can get more than stereo out of it is to open a set of waves in Cool Edit Pro and rout each wave to a channel of the Layla. It's kind-of a PITA.

When I use any device that was made for 5.1 or 7.1 sound, all I need to do is double click on a multi-channel wave and it comes up playing in Spider Player.

James.
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever checked to see what ezauddac reports with the echo layla? If you run something like lfi-player with ezauddac, it should produce a log file that lists the audio devices and number of ports.

I wanted to get back to the other part of ArtDen's question - namely playing frames serially. My software is in java and I use ezauddac, and the process goes something like this:

1. prepare frame including all transformations and convert data to signed 16 bit shorts.
    2. copy frame to frame buffer
    3. check ezauddac status
    4a. if not ready, check again
    4b. if ready for the next frame, call EzAudDacWriteFrame (which has its own and I assume circular output buffers) and provide pointer to frame buffer (Dr. Lava's docs specify that there is a 9ms window in which to call EzAudDacWriteFrame for the next frame before the output buffers runs our and it will begin replaying the current frame)
    ->1. prepare next frame

My software is designed for live performance and uses touchOSC and midi input. There is no noticeable delay when switching cues or in responding to user input. I have also experimented with double-buffering where the next frame is prepared while waiting for ezauddac. I wasn't able to notice any difference and decided to stick with single buffering. I suppose my linear frame buffer and the circular output buffer constitute double buffering anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post

Spider Player is a free Windows media player.

http://spider-player.com

LaserBoy can split multi-channel waves into logical parts (different ways). It can also splice them together.

I'm pretty sure I am the only person on this forum with that distinction.

Not sure why.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Spider Player is a free Windows media player.

http://spider-player.com

LaserBoy can split multi-channel waves into logical parts (different ways). It can also splice them together.

I'm pretty sure I am the only person on this forum with that distinction.

Not sure why.

James.
    I'm not sure why, either. My Bombora app combines wav files and plays them without any external player.

LaserBoy does what it does exactly the same in any OS supported by Generic C++, Boost C++ and libSDL.

In other words, all of them.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

LaserBoy does what it does exactly the same in any OS supported by Generic C++, Boost C++ and libSDL.

In other words, all of them.

James.
    Did you get it working on iPad and Android?

Nope. Not yet. But there is no reason it wouldn't work on Android. I guess I could experiment with the Android distribution for the Raspberry Pi.

But that has nothing to do with this thread.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials