Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" type of fan

Awesome!!!! Great video!!!!

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

I have never been a fan of the over the top hyper-modern "Dyson" products. Although this is a neat aerodynamic demo it seems unnecessarily complex and less efficient. Small volumes of high velocity air entraining large volumes of low velocity air adds an extra step and thermodynamically can't do so as efficiently as direct acceleration with a well designed airfoil... notes from the curmudgeon's corner.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I have never been a fan
    Pun intended ?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

But for a say half meter to one meter long circular fog screen, the larger diameter Dyson is interesting. We have had them around for about a year here, and the local hardware store. I'd look for a used one before I paid 399 USD for one just to try this.

The airflow seems to be circular and coherent for about three fan diameters before the flows merge.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

lol $400 fan? no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Price is fine, good quality comes with a higher price. Maybe a little bit to expencive but not much. Damn nice invention if you ask me. Too many people are getting used to "chinese prices" and apperantly accept the lower quallity. Some people that i know just say "well you just have to except it that you can trow it away after 3 times of use......

Almost everything that is made from plastic comes from china and breaks, doesn,t hold , get worn etc. Sometimes you wish i was living in the roaring twenties. The cars where solid and when you had a windup recordplayer it was designed to last forever.

One thing is for sure a carpenter buys a makita, why? because it lasts!!!
    where do you think Dyson makes said fans?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I have never been a fan of the over the top hyper-modern "Dyson" products. Although this is a neat aerodynamic demo it seems unnecessarily complex and less efficient. Small volumes of high velocity air entraining large volumes of low velocity air adds an extra step and thermodynamically can't do so as efficiently as direct acceleration with a well designed airfoil... notes from the curmudgeon's corner.
    I'm not sure why Dyson is given special credit anyway. I think that's a commercial thing. He's British, (So am I, this is not a partisan critique) and Britain's attitude to science, generally, is horrible. Wind-up radios, gimmicks, whizzbangs, hair in the air, silly soundtracks and presenters waving their hands wildly about, it goes on... It is lost in some pulp-fiction neverneverland and will likely never mature. REAL British science is another matter entirely, quietly making parts for NASA, whole space probes, graphene research, structured adaptive optics for space-telescope type views from earth-bound scopes, etc.

Long (decades) before Dyson has been heralded as inventor of weird mastery of the air in vacuum cleaners and fans, RS Components have been selling high velocity trained-air curtains for prosaic stuff like cooling cakes on conveyor belts, and vortex tubes (at prices I could never justify) for cooling cabinets full of meds, electronics, etc. I bet a huge Aladdin's Cave of wonders most of the public (including me) has no clue about is hidden behind basic commercial secrecy. It's always amazed me how simple things like sheathed cables are made, for example. Or complex hollow extrusions.

I think Dyson, like the maker of the wind-up radio, captured the Public Eye. He's Top of the Pops Number One, but as anyone knows there's a hell of a lot more to music.

EDIT:
    The way I first learned about trained air, ('multiplication' isn't what's happening, power is same, you just trade speed for volume), is starting a fire in damp kindling. If you blow right, a thin jet of air efficiently gets oxygen to the hot stuff and the heat grows fast. There are people who huff and puff like the world's running out of air, but I found that a small quiet column of air like a silent whistle can make the best result, many seconds of highly directed air per breath. I quickly realised it wasn't all coming from me!
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 07-30-2013 at 02:42.