Thread: Not seeing Etherdream DAC in LSX

Default Not seeing Etherdream DAC in LSX

Did not think this would be an issue, but I am not seeing my Etherdream DAC in LSX. I am using Win 7. I have a straight through cable between my computer and the DAC. I have my computer set to DCHP so it will obtain an IP address automatically. I am seeing the power light and interlock light on the DAC. I see activity on the Ethernet port when I plug in the cable. But when I go into LSX and search for a DAC nothing comes up as unassigned. I have tried using the Diagnostic tool and when I run the sitter.exe I do not get anything to populate on the screen. No firmware, IP address, Version, Status, Etc. What am I doing wrong or what can I do next to get comms established.

Thanks in Advance

If you haven't yet ya should jump into chat. I'm sure someone there will get ya working quickly.
    leading in trailing technology

OK looks like I am good now. Windows firewall was keeping things from working. I have comms established between LSX and Etherdream and am able to output the test patterns from LSX. Its sucks that they look like crap though. I think that means the scanners I purchased were severally out of tune before I got them.

Or your scan angle is just way to big. What is your throw distance and size. What scanners?
    leading in trailing technology

Yeah I guess that is a good point. I have 20K scanners (Saving money for DT40s of course LOL). Looking to display around 20 to 50 feet or so. Inside my house basically.

Got everything tuned up and looking good. Was wondering though how would I go about making an exception in my firewall for the Etherdream comms so I don't need top fully disable the firewall to grab comms with the DAC. Not real familiar with that kind of thing but I know when the firewall is enabled I can not see the DAC in LSX but when the firewall is disabled I can. SO I figure there must be a way to tell the firewall this device is OK to pass the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Got everything tuned up and looking good. Was wondering though how would I go about making an exception in my firewall for the Etherdream comms so I don't need top fully disable the firewall to grab comms with the DAC. Not real familiar with that kind of thing but I know when the firewall is enabled I can not see the DAC in LSX but when the firewall is disabled I can. SO I figure there must be a way to tell the firewall this device is OK to pass the firewall.
    I'll tell you how I'm running my ED DAC:

Wired connection from laptop to ED = Private network. DHCP client on both devices will default to an address in the 169.254.x.x space (which is private, non-routable) in the absence of a DHCP server. No firewall is necessary on this network since it's private.

Wireless connection from laptop to Internet = public network. Do run a firewall on this interface since the Internet is a scary place.

Since Firewall is enabled/disabled on a per interface basis, the above should provide ample protection while allowing you full access to the DAC.

i had the same issue, wrote it down on LSX support forums and the reason was firewall indeed

http://lasershowforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1285

you don't need to turn off the firewall completely, just allow UDP communication on port 7654

Do you create a rule for inbound and outbound or just one way to allow comms on port 7654. I am using windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    i had the same issue, wrote it down on LSX support forums and the reason was firewall indeed

http://lasershowforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1285

you don't need to turn off the firewall completely, just allow UDP communication on port 7654

i created Port rule for both with Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced settings