Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser burn

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think this may be a language barrier thing. Yes, they are pursuing me to rectify the situation (as is right and correct - and things are afoot in that respect) but 'pinning' it on someone over here usually refers to an innocent party being stitched up, rather than simply being asked to take responsibility for the situation caused.
    Gotcha... ok, language thing. Yes, I just was wondering if these were pictures from the damage that the festival people thought was done by the lasers and asking you to be responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    ...It sure looks nothing like the burns on a camera.
    I have to concur.. I'd (personally..) insist on an 'independant-test' to verify, before I'd be willing to fork-over the liability-check.. Especially those 'side glitchies', and 'cross-members' in the center-anomalies... Looks more like HV / arc-traces, or some other wierd digi-glitching.. or, even more like, 'shock-fractures' / subsequent-leaks, from someone dropping the blooming-thing... (?) ..Perhaps, some type of a 'comparative set-up test', with a replacement-panel for one of these / same lens, or.. perhaps a used / non (otherwise..) functional-one?

..Not that I've got a boatload of experience with blazing-up LCD PJs, mind-you.. ..But, it just-doesn't 'seem right'... especially at the range and power-level you're talking, here.. If it were a KTP or CVL, more-likely, but, even-so, those 'patterns' sure look nothing like boinz..

??
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Those distress fractures certainly are interesting (I'm sure you can think of some alternative words!).

As the beamer is knackered now, is it possible to set it up under similar conditions, and scan some effects into it whilst observing the output? If all is good, it may be possible to scan in at a closer distance, or with a greater power, and see if any further damage occurs.

If it doesn't, and even at greater powers, it puts you in stronger position to make the argument Jon is suggesting, that it may be mechanical shock, rather than thermal from a laser beam.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

It looks like a fractured LCD, not laser burns.
    I would set up a test rig and fire some beams into it, just to be sure.

You could also ask the manufacturer for an opinion. If it was in your favour then it should carry a lot of weight with the venue owner.

Ultimately if you don't tell them you've contacted the manufacturer and if you don't tell the manufacturer who you are or where the projector is, you still have your other test options open if the manufacturers opinion is against you as the venue owner will not know the outcome and you can then perform other tests to verify the cause at your end.

The more evidence you have the better if it turns out its not laser damage as then the battle is on to convince the venue owners.

those are stress cracks I am sure of it. if you know how to set up a stress meter do so and I bet you'll see diffraction rings at the edge and near the crack.

also what laser image makes a stepped pattern like that? None I know of. Plus if it was heat that caused the crack the power output of the beam would have to be KW for the amount of time the beam would spend on the surface and the line would go all the way across the screen as the beam passed.

I´m 99% sure this damage was NOT caused by a laser, and by setting up a test, you can definitely prove it!

I would say thats projector had been dropped.
    Those lcd's are built to handle a lot of energy passing through them
    At most your laser would have left some spot damage
    Also most of the lasers energy would have psssed straight through the lcd towards
    The projector light source
    If it were me i would ask to set up that projector at 25m fire some more beams at to prove it
    They could not say no it knackerd all ready so they got nothing to lose.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    ......so they got nothing to lose.
    ..except the 'success' (thus-far..) of their (possible) 'ruse'..

I was also thinking - Sir Nort - is there *any* chance this PJ could've been subjected to a 'hard-freeze', at some point just-before / during the gig-prep? (Sorry, I don't recall the 'season' this was, and don't have time to go read-thru the 'backstory'.. But, I just wonder if, perhaps, a 'hard-freeze' could produce-such patterns.. they're really strange-lookin.. almost like 'etch a sketch' tracings, or.. something 'purposeful'.. (?) Perhaps there was-no 'freeze', etc... but... I think Picasso pretty-much 'called-it'..

..jus' don' look like a boin, t' mee.. (language-barrier joke..

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-02-2013 at 00:00.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Ok, few points.
    The owner of the projector is not a venue, its another company, run by a friend of a few mutual friends and acquaintances, so I have no reason to mistrust what is being said, and the idea of a ruse is a bit distasteful to say the least.
    The issues with trying to set up a test are:
    Location - we are not situated anywhere near each other, the festival was miles away from where we are both based, so gettting together could be problematic.
    Other damage - I've no idea if there are other components that could be damaged by lasers, other than the obviously knackered LCD, and I don't think I'd be willing to risk further expense to test. The whole projector is not knackered and it is repairable, so there is a further dilemma there.

To me, they look like dead pixels, but I've only ever seen dead pixels on monitors, not a 1.3" diameter LCD, so I have no reference point, and I'm not sure too many other people will have either.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.