Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Beauty Lasers" on ebay!!! What?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i think the FDA would have a little "issue" with this...

Quote Originally Posted by mike1234 View Post
    lol to dream beamz. I get it, the gentleman in the video is quite a character. What I am trying to understand is the product itself and get some real feedback from folks like yourself who work with lasers to understand what is so sub-par about these units if they are getting results and being used all around the globe. Please take a moment to read my first two posts above and lend me a moment of your expertise. Thanks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i think the FDA would have a little "issue" with this...
    I'm not doubting the FDA would have an issue with any or all of it...I'm posing the question: "Why?" If the components suck and the craftsmanship is shoddy then I get it! That's where your expertise comes in; that's why I came to this forum. You guys are the pros! Instead of lending expertise, I'm getting one liners and sarcastic remarks from folks who may have answers to the questionable attributes of a product I'm calling out here. Swamidog in all your knowledge and over 1 million posts here. Take a moment and explain to a newbie what the deal is. Do the Chinese know something we don't or in all our purist ways are they just cutting corners to get a product on the market cheap? Either way, it's in interesting question from a technical perspective, right?

... have you seen the "DIY HOME MADE LASER TATTOO REMOVAL how to build it..." with the 3W@808nm-diode?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKkKaUFXr0w

Seems, this sort of 'treatment' runs out of control anyhow ...

Viktor

I'm not doubting the FDA would have an issue with any or all of it...I'm posing the question: "Why?"
    Because the company selling the laser has not invested the time or money to have their product certified by the CDRH, that's why.

I for one am suspicious about your motives for posting here, and suspect that you have something to gain from the sale of this laser or one like it. Regardless, under no circumstance is anyone on this forum going to get in line to have their tattoos removed from anything less than a certified laser.

-Eric

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'm a field service engineer for a major maker of pulsed YAG lasers. I can tell just listening to the sound of that Flashtube going off that the lamp is overdriven and there is no pulse forming inductor. Which means its going to fail in less then 5000 to 10000 shots or so. We get 10-20 million shots from ours. While I do not work on medical systems, any more. I have scrapped enough of them for parts. I can tell you the focused spot size is way too small. There is no deionizer cart for the water loop. The charger board is a poor copy of ours.

The first person who zaps a cancerous or pre-cancerous lesion with that.will regret it.

I could spend an evening telling you why a proper medical yag is different, but I will simply tell you that is a very cheap 1970s military rangefinder head, not a quality medical device. I'd estimate max life, at two months of daily service. I also do not see a way of replacing the flash lamp. It's overpowered, underpriced, poorly made piece of crap that I would not use except for a science fair project.

Also it poorly couples energy to the patient, resulting in severe tissue damage.

One heck of an eye hazard, too.

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'm in the field, I don't have time to do a proper reply. Customers come first, at 4k$ a day for service.

Hey thanks to both Viktor and Eric for your replies. I did see that DIY laser and what a horrible outcome!! Eeeks! Still, I think there is a distinct "gray area" between the goofball DYI laser building that Viktor found on youtube and the standards our FDA keeps. I mean, isn't it the very same spark of interest that keeps a forum like this alive in sharing building experiences and pushing boundaries...let me expand, if these Chinese "portable beauty lasers" are good enough to be used around the world then why not here? What if a couple things could be changed to meet the specs and then a laser tattoo removal service that costs $400 a session could be brought down to a fraction of the cost because the overhead cost of the equipment is less expensive.
    Eric..you shed some light on the question at hand suggesting required certifications by the CDRH. These certs would probably not be handed out to one of these Chinese manufacturer's based on which I can only speculate is due to shoddy parts and craftsmanship. (I wish I could better understand what is wrong with the parts specifically after having one of the folks here glance at the inside of a machine I posted in a youtube video link above.)
    Yet, after a preliminary look into the FDA regs, it is apparent that these machines, while serving a purpose elsewhere in the world will not pass the stringent regulations we have here in the US.
    Anyhow, I have nothing invested in this quandary besides a true interest in understanding and getting an answer to a question that popped in my head that I could not answer from my knowledge base. It was only after kicking around the topic with buddies and a friend's personal experience that someone suggested: "ask an expert" and that's how I found the forum.
    I hope to learn more on the topic from folks here so I can pass it on. Thanks for your time.

There's a reason why medical systems are expensive. You get what you pay for. For audio equipment, cheap stuff won't sound good. Lasers for medical use, well, you get the idea.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Steve, I just saw your reply after I wrote my last. Perfect answer and I thank you, sir. It is a very clearly understood quick pass analysis of this kind of machine from a true professional in the field. I can live with that answer and sleep better tonight! Thank you. These kinds of quandaries outside of my profession get the best of me at times! Thank you so very much for your time, Steve and the same to others who took the time to respond.

Lightbulb

..Any thoughts?
    Sure. a) This needs to be Reported, right away, and again and again and again. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ucm059315.htm '..but Why?'

b) http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-Emittin.../ucm116534.htm, specifically read #1, under "Consumers should be aware that.." - having the unit, itself, be-safe / reliable, is only 1/2 the equation, here - What also makes this *absolutely illegal* crap 'dangerous' are there's little enforcement against the people that can and will sell them to whomever has the $$. Cuz, if anyone / everyone can up and order / get a surgical-laser / skin-treatment laser, etc, pretty-soon you have 'YOLO's House of Waxing / Botox-Botique (aka, silicone + durabond ) and 'Laser Treatment Spa', out-back behind the 7-11.. OK, maybe if someone's 'dumb-enough to go to a shady-place like that, cuz of $$', well, they 'deserve it'? Sorry, wrong answer. Otherwise, why don't we just call for a free for all in all-aspects of society, and everybody do what everybody see's fit in thier own-eyes and we can all be dead by dawn, ya?

c) Your English is really quite good. Just teasing, but really -

Since you're 'buying laser light show components', then, surely you must-be a manufacturer of either systems, and/or laser-shows, themselves, and so, in going thru your-own Variance-acquisition-process, you well-learned how important it is (..and why..) to know / understand the FDA's 'thinking' underneath the Regs, on why a Medical-product needs to be safe -and- why manufacturers / resellers, need to be responsible enough to NOT be selling on an 'whoever has the $$' sales-channel like eBay. Do we *really* believe those 'we will verify (the buyer's) status as an authorized / *qualified*-purchaser of this equipment before sale'-claims? Pff, A certain International ProDJ we all know and love provides the answer to that question..

Chuck your rocks as you-will, I gotta bug..
    ciao..
    j

PEE-ESS - I thought this was also some good info to post, as 'a reminder'.. http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transpar.../ucm302664.htm
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-07-2013 at 16:50.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...