Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Beauty Lasers" on ebay!!! What?

Default "Beauty Lasers" on ebay!!! What?

Hi there! I'm a newbie and came across this site after some friends and I were investigating available lasers on ebay. We were specifically looking for laser light show components BUT stumbled across this and became curious with questions about it efficacy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281145513983...84.m1438.l2649

Now, this is a MEDICAL laser and aside from the fact this is probably totally illegal to import into the states. The question was posed: "How safe are these lasers to use on anyone?" Regardless of your country of residence, I'd like to get the forum's consensus on the specifications listed and speculate on its accuracies for the price listed. Would it be safe to use and if YOU had a tattoo to remove would you use it? Interesting question, huh? Thanks and looking forward to the feedback!
    Last edited by mike1234; 08-07-2013 at 10:31.

I definitely wouldn't audience scan with that thing.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

1.2 Joules at 4 Hz out of that cooling system and handpiece? No way. Something is very wrong.
    Likely to fail during any treatment. Better buy two, as I can't imagine a Cr:YAG Q-switch working very well at that rep rate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-Q-SWITCH...81145513983%26

If you want a laugh, see the link above. Then cry, as some poor women is going to get some scars from this.

Note, drop ship via Customs as Gift... 1960s or 1970s style laser skin resurfacing, aka 3rd degree burns and wait for the scars to form. No coolant for the skin, no burst of cryogen, no local anesthetic, nothing to excise the dead tissue. Ouch!

Hello.... FDA Medical Enforcement, you watching the forum today? I don't think there is a 401K investigation or approval on this model in your records.

Yes, very illegal, but there are always some untrained cosmeticians just itching to get their hands on "medical" skin resurfacing.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-06-2013 at 01:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Stiffler, good suggestion! A "blinding light show" at best I imagine!

Steve, thank you for the input on this quandary. Yes, I saw this laser link you shared, it appears 10 others are "watching" it on ebay! So, like so many lasers less invasive than this one (ie pointers and show grade laser components) How do they ALL so easily find themselves for sale in a public market if they are not safe or unstable?

I forwarded a link to this thread to a friend of mine who reports being brave enough to receive laser tattoo removal services from a guy he met on craigslist. He pays $50 a session to remove a 3"x4" black ink tattoo. I asked why he would risk using a "technician" from CL using a questionable laser and he said he felt the financial savings outweighed the risks for a trial run at the service. Crazy? YES....but he is on his third treatment and surprisingly impressed by the results. I asked numerous questions about the "portable laser" this technician was using and I suspect a China product like the one listed above. He is going to forward pix of before and after and I requested a pic of the laser being used. There was reported blistering with subsequent peeling with no scarring after 8 weeks and after investigating typical responses to these kinds of treatments this was quite normal. I also asked for laser treatment settings so I could report back to the forum. Either way, would something like "1.2 J at 4 Hz" that Steve suggested accomplish removal of black ink on pale-colored skin? I realize this may be more of a medical verses technical question but it is very interesting. Still, I'm gathering from Steve that he feels the product is unstable:

"1.2 Joules at 4 Hz out of that cooling system and handpiece? No way. Something is very wrong.
    Likely to fail during any treatment. Better buy two, as I can't imagine a Cr:YAG Q-switch working very well at that rep rate."

At the end of the day, if you look at this market, there are TONS of these "portable beauty lasers" floating around the globe and while my friend's isolated results sound typical of the tattoo removal process, what is wrong with a $1500 machine that nets the same results as it's much more expensive competitor in a doctor's office?
    Last edited by mike1234; 08-06-2013 at 11:37.

$1500 for a medical laser sounds really cheap.

Looks like the the Chinese laser manufacturers are expanding from show projectors and pointers to other venues ..
    Probably a lot of hot-melt glue in there holding the optics train together

Here is a video link which shows the inside working components of one of these "portable beauty lasers"...it is narrated by a fella that seemingly repaired a damaged unit. Nevertheless, this is a unit similar to the units in question above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiXNYugGqY

Any thoughts?

Here is a video link which shows the inside working components of one of these "portable beauty lasers"...it is narrated by a fella that seemingly repaired a damaged unit. Nevertheless, this is a unit similar to the units in question above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiXNYugGqY

Any thoughts?

Oh my..... I have no words

lol to dream beamz. I get it, the gentleman in the video is quite a character. What I am trying to understand is the product itself and get some real feedback from folks like yourself who work with lasers to understand what is so sub-par about these units if they are getting results and being used all around the globe. Please take a moment to read my first two posts above and lend me a moment of your expertise. Thanks!