Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaserWorld RG-Y projector modification

Laser Warning LaserWorld RG-Y projector modification

My name is Hunter. I own a FDA varianced laser light show company in Oklahoma City. www.RealBigLasers.com.

I have an old LaserWorld RG-Y. The Green is 800MW and there are (2) 650 red diodes, about 500mw. The red diodes are both very weak..(pictures included)

Do you think it may be the diodes??
    Or do you think it may be the power supply?
    Or maybe something else?

Anyway... I want to replace the red diodes with m-140 445nm diodes. My idea is to replace the (2) 650 diodes and install the m-140 diodes. Then I will have a '4.8W blue green Cyan.

What diodes and extra components do you think would work best for this?

Will I need new mirrors since i am changing the red to blue?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply's.

Hunter Owen
    Owner-
    L.A.S.E.R. ,LLC
    dba Bass Face Productions
    1(405) 414-6936
    RealBigLasers@laserwolf.tv

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-12.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	39466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-13.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	650.7 KB 
ID:	39465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-11.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	39467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-10.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	39468

Are you sure about output power of reds and green?

This is because I had the same RGY-800 projector..... The declared power is absolutely fake.

Looking at your pictures, I can confirm you have the same components installed into my RGY-800 (which doesn't exist anymore, because I have completely disassembled it long times ago...).
    I measured by powermeter each laser source:

- green is TTL and made by Century Laser = 115 mw max
    - red (x2) are 650nm can diode, no more than 110mw each (if overpowered you could have about 135mw each). Obviously both of them are TTL too.... Their life is very short also.

The only decent component inside is the scanner set: 30kpps at 4-5°.
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Steve-

You are right, after further investigation, I found that the Red diodes were rated at '150mw'.

My question... Can I replace these diodes with M-140 445nm Diodes?

Also, from the look of it, BOTH of the red diodes are very weak. Do you think they are BOTH 'out' or do you think they are BOTH having a signal/power issue?

I looked on the side of the DPSS green laser. It says '700mw'... Since it is laserworld.. I would assume it is about 200mw. It's very bright and tight though!

Ultimately, i would love to add about 3-4watts of 445nm blue to this projector... can anybody help a brother out??

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

both red diodes are probably near death.

you can replace them with 445 diodes, but..

1) you will need a different set of dichros
    2) you will need a different set of drivers
    3) if your projector was compliant (kind of doubtful since it was laserworld), it may no longer be due to changes in the wavelength and output power.

c.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWolf View Post
    Steve-

You are right, after further investigation, I found that the Red diodes were rated at '150mw'.

My question... Can I replace these diodes with M-140 445nm Diodes?

Also, from the look of it, BOTH of the red diodes are very weak. Do you think they are BOTH 'out' or do you think they are BOTH having a signal/power issue?

I looked on the side of the DPSS green laser. It says '700mw'... Since it is laserworld.. I would assume it is about 200mw. It's very bright and tight though!

Ultimately, i would love to add about 3-4watts of 445nm blue to this projector... can anybody help a brother out??
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Swamidog-

In response to (3)
    This projector has been setting for about 4-5 years. It was given to me from a local Lighting company that didn't want it... I would like to use it for experimentation and learning for myself. I have experience working with and work on Kvant, RTI, Arctos, X-LASER aka X-CRAP, ABLE and a few others. I just want to use this modification as a learning process for bettering myself with hands on knowledge.

(2)
    Do you have any suggestions or links to what driver I may need?

(1)
    What dichro mirrors would I need?

Thank you for your help!! I will never use this laser for performance. I just want to learn!
    Hunter
    'The early bird gets the laser'

www.RealBigLasers.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you can locate them, i would encourage you to use drlava's flexmod drivers. you can use one driver for multiple diodes of the same type.

i don't know the optical path for your projector. dichros from the casio projectors are a *very* good bargain for the money. if you're looking for very high quality dichros, give a call to onestoplasershop.com and ask for their "high efficiency" dichros.

traditional dichro sets are pass green/reflect red and pass green/reflect blue. if i remember correctly, the casio dichros are pass blue/reflect red, and pass blue/reflect green. this impacts your optical layout. i had to rebuild one of my lumia projectors when i switched dichros.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWolf View Post
    Swamidog-

In response to (3)
    This projector has been setting for about 4-5 years. It was given to me from a local Lighting company that didn't want it... I would like to use it for experimentation and learning for myself. I have experience working with and work on Kvant, RTI, Arctos, X-LASER aka X-CRAP, ABLE and a few others. I just want to use this modification as a learning process for bettering myself with hands on knowledge.

(2)
    Do you have any suggestions or links to what driver I may need?

(1)
    What dichro mirrors would I need?

Thank you for your help!! I will never use this laser for performance. I just want to learn!
    Hunter
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Swamidog-

Thank you so much for your advice! I called one stop laser shop and ordered the Yellow high efficiency mirror and also a blue mirror cube.
    Now.. if you don't mind me asking...

What diodes do I need to order and what parts do I need for them?

Why do I need a flex mod driver? Where does it go? Is there any other drivers out there that will work? i cant seem to find the one you suggested.

On a side note, I took out (1) of the 2 red Diodes. I clipped the wires to get some numbers. (PICTURES INCLUDED) It read about 5.0v on the Red and Black power cable BUT, it tested at 0.0 amps? Why is this? Would this imply that there is something else wrong here?

Also, what are these other two cables? Yellow and Black? I see that they go into a board here (pictures included) I assumed they are just control wires, i tested the output and they read 2.0v and also 0.0 amps.

Hunter-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-14.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	39469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-15.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	39470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-16.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	39471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-17.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	39472

www.RealBigLasers.com

Swamidog is answering excellent way to your answers. You're lucky. He his much more informed than me.

I was thinking... Why you want to become crazy with drivers, focusing lens, collimating lens, anamorphing prisms.... etc. etc.......
    What about to buy a complete red and blue modules directly? And if you choose for TTL modulation (the same you had inside the "crap" RGY-800"), you can have a powerful projector for very small money. As you know, analog modulation is more expansive.

Just a thing about your "survaived" green...
    It gives out not more than 140-150 mw TTL (when new). I can assure it. The label at its side saying 700mw is an authentic bullshit.... As you can see, I had the same your RGY-800 projector (don't take a care about the other module in picture. I was trying to do a sort of refurbishment/upgrade...)

You said right about can red diodes... factory datasheet indicate 125mw max. They can be driven up to 145-150mw, but their life will be shorter (usually after 3-4 month... they die). I mistaken about their wavelenght: are not 650nm but 660nm (I apologize)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test RGY 004.jpg  

my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Steve-

How would I integrate the module into the projector? Are you saying, I could buy a 4w blue module and simply add it where the red was? Would I need any extra parts?

Just a thought... Could I replace the DPSS green with something better too?

I am open to ideas. The projector case is VERY strong and well built. However, as we all know, LaserWorld parts are not so good. I want to add as much power as possible..

Hunter

www.RealBigLasers.com

The reason you need a flexmod driver is because the current that your reds are running at is NOT the same as what the 445nm diodes would need to run at, especially if you are looking for a few watts. In fact, I doubt you would even get any output from them if you just dropped a pair of blues in because the current would be way below the diode threshold. There are other drivers out there, yes but they are probably not as cost effective as the flexmod. Flexmods have a decent track record too. The good thing about the flexmod driver is that you would be getting analog modulation instead of TTL.

Out of curiosity, what are you using this projector for? Would this be for graphics or for beams? The only reason I ask is because 4W of laser light is no joke. Seems like a huge jump from what you have now.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.