Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PL login doesn't remember me

Question PL login doesn't remember me

Hi Spec,

could you please help me with a small problem?

About a week ago I changed my PL login password. The new password works fine and I can login as normal.

The only problem is that it doesn't remember me when I open PL next time even though I checked the "remember me" button.

I could have inadvertently changed another setting with my sausage fingers as I was using my iPhone when I changed it.

This behaviour is present when using;

Safari MacOS
    Safari iOS
    Opera WIN 7
    FireFox Win 7

Any ideas?

Thank
    Kit

It should after you click a forum link. The first page does not show you logged in, when the site refreshes after the first click it should. That is the way it seems to remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    The only problem is that it doesn't remember me when I open PL next time even though I checked the "remember me" button.
    Who are you?
    This space for rent.

Thanks Picasso
    Hmm, weird, that's what I've been doing for the last week, I think but it didn't remember me. I tried what you said just now and it seems to have worked.

I'll report back if it persists.

Cheers

Wayne! It's me old buddy, remember? laser nut friend..... no? ...... Damn! If only I was on Facebook the world would remember! oh what a fool I've been. Now the PL server, What next? My Mum?
    Oh shit Mum's on Facebook too

Still not remembering me.
    I ask spec and find out how to fix it.

Funny i had the same problem today with my ipad, i have not changed a thing, it was ok fri before i went away for a couple of days
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Do you log in on a page in a second instance of your browser? For example, something like: you launch after boot, check the 'activity stream' for new stuff since the day before... See a post you want to respond to, and knowing that when you log in it returns you to general forum view, not the one you might be wanting. Because of that, I keep the 'activity view' open in the first instance. Now, if you have logged in on the new copy and posted, and certain stuff happens in a window you did NOT log in from, the cookie can be overwritten, and the not-logged-in state becomes current for all instances.

To deal with the above, there is only one sure method: Log into PL at the outset, from the first instance you launch. Second best (which I do most often) is open the activity page, or whatever you do instead for first base. When you see some post you want to log in for, do so on a new instance, AND immediately toggle back to the first instance the moment logged-in state is confimed, and refresh that first instance so you see it also agrees that you're logged in. Sounds awkward but it is better than backspacing to a page your browser doesn't want to show you anymore!

If you're talking about STAYING logged in, that depends on your browser's cookies persisting long enough to satisfy you. Lots of things might thwart that, not least that browsers get confused and sometimes you just have to wipe the cookies and start over. So if it screws up, it's always best to wipe the cookies, then experiment from clean starts till you get some kind of behaviour you can live with. (I have my system boot each session with a predefined set of cookies each time, I never make one permanent unless I have damn good reason to do it).

Hi badger. I just tried with Firefox and opera on windows and they are ok but not ios.

I'll ask taggalucci he is good with the under the bonet side of ios and MacOs. Maybe a weird Safari ism.

stay tuned.

Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 08-31-2013 at 06:07.

Hi Doc good thinking. I'll wipe my cookies and see how it goes.

Cheers
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hi Doc good thinking. I'll wipe my cookies and see how it goes.

Cheers
    Kit
    You're welcome. Let me know how it goes if it's anything different. I learned to always suspect cookie trouble first, but the interwebz are complex stuffs and I don't doubt there might be other things to know.