Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red First Contact GB. Any takers?

$25 for one or $14 for two.
    Please PM me with approx shipping to South Africa. Standard international shipping. Thanks!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'd be in for a 14$ bottle to try it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    The difficulty is peeling it off, there are several techniques but requires some practice.
    I'm unsure about how long you need to let it dry out, but that's up for discussion anyway.
    The drying time depends on how much First Contact you apply. I've found that a few hours is usually enough. It can be difficult to remove if it has not dried thoroughly.

I use the brush to hold just enough cleaner to form a small droplet, then i touch the droplet to the optic. With a bit of practice you can keep the brush from touching your optics using the surface tension of the cleaner to drag the droplet across the optic. The brush acts as a reservoir and keeps the droplet fed through capillary action. If your optics are extremely dirty and you drag the brush across your optic you risk dragging all that stuff across the optic as well. This also allows the brush to pick up dust and grime and then introduces it to the bottle when you re-dip the brush. For the vast majority of hobbyist uses this is not going to be a big deal, but it's worth noting if you're going to be cleaning ion laser OC's or if your optics consistently end up looking like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0679.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	39770

First Contact also has spray applicators if you require absolutely pristine cleaner (they have a thinner you can add to make it more suitable for spray applications).

The longer you let it dry, the easier it is to remove. I usually let a tiny bit spill over one edge of the optic. After it has dried, I use a piece of scotch tape, apply it to the edge and fold it over the face of the optic. You can then use a finger nail or a bit of soft plastic to press the tape against the edge to get good adhesion of the tape to the polymer. Lift it up and the polymer layer will peel up off the optic with the tape.

I really like red First Contact. It makes it easy to confirm that you've removed all of the cleaner. This stuff works incredibly well and makes safely cleaning optics very easy.

Other tips from First Contact's page:

"NOT for use on certain plastic (polycarbonate or acrylic) eyeglasses or similar plastic lenses (but Zeon, HDPE, nylons etc are fine).

Some gold and silver mirrors have poor adhesion!

Of course, on one of a kind or high value systems, be sure to try some test samples first!

**Certain coatings are inherently poor adhesion, especially if done without effective substrate preparation. Be careful of gold and silver coatings. That being said, we and our customers have successfully protected and clean lots of gold and silver mirrors and gratings including those on LIGO, the WM Keck Telescope and the Gemini North Silver! We have found no correlation with mirror price and adhesion, in fact, the opposite seems sometimes true! While we routinely clean diffraction gratings, the old adage about gratings still holds-don't touch them unless you have to!**"

I should get a bottle too.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Is there enough to make an order
    leading in trailing technology

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I found mine! The bottle I thought was lost, was naturally right smack dab in the middle tray of my toolbox - probably staring me right in the face. It's the clear variety and I could swear I had bought red from Stanwax. Anyway... so I now have the 45mL bottle I got from you at SELEM and, when the time comes that you've found small bottles with the applicator brush - I'd like 3 please if you're selling just the bottles. Thanks!

You can count me in on the 45mL deal if enough people went that route though I would like them divided into 3 15mL bottles

If that does not happen then you can count me in on 30mL's worth, divided into two 15's

Thanks a lot! this stuff is expensive and there is no cheap way to get smaller quantities.

Can it become contaminated with moisture like acetone becomes? When I think about that or the risk of other types of contamination I feel it would also be nice to put this stuff into an even smaller bottle with the brush that can handle this stuff without melting, now that you have found a supplier that has 15mL bottles do you know if they have smaller sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Is there enough to make an order
    ...sooo where are we with this GB?

Okay, I got a kit with enough for 5 15ml bottles in it! It works out to $20 a piece, plus the cost of bottles, plus shipping. I'll grab some bottles tomorrow and post the cost, then shipping is USPS flat rate to anywhere in the US and I'll PM the one person who wanted international shipping.

I have the First Contact in my hands as of this morning, so ireedz, DZ, polishedball, lulighttec, and Humphry you're all getting one if you still want it. Sorry, Adam, I'll include you on the next order

For those of you waiting on the large bottles, we only need 3 more people! We have 7/10 for the large bottles: Robin, CountFunkula, Chad, hitekvoop, kecked, Adam, and LaserCo.

I'll post up the final price as soon as I get the bottles.

Cheers!
    Last edited by laserlackey; 09-10-2013 at 09:54.
    Neat!

Thanks please on total once figured.
    leading in trailing technology