Thread: pl 520 and stand-by beam suppression

Default pl 520 and stand-by beam suppression

I have the issue that then I activate "stand-by beam suppression" on a pl 520 it seems to need ~100micro seconds to wake up from idle.
    This can be seen on various test-pasterns and graphics. When a white beam goes on from being blanked, the green needs considerable more time to recover than the PL450B and HL63603TG. Making the beam magenta for the first 3 points.
    When sbs is disabled everything works as a charm. ( But to achieve some lineairity, I need to add some bias, which in turn adds an annoying beam when it should be off.)
    Did anybody find a solution for this? (I'd rather not install a shutter)
    Can I remedy this by applying a sub-threshold-bias current ?

Other thing I noticed, lasing threshold is pretty sensitive to temperature.
    Funny, because I didn't noticed it before, and I don't recall having read about it here on the forums.
    Maybe it's because dpss modulates like a wet towel, all red and blue diodes seem to behave perfectly in comparison.
    Since green diodes has the promise of perfect modulation, I may be hyper critical on all modulation characteristics, expecting a ruler-flat response also when I lower the intensity of my projector to 10%.
    I guess I have found another good reason to tec my diodes.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Take a look at the compliance range of your driver on a scope, if you can. I suspect something else is afoot and its tied to the diode electrical characteristics vs the driver transfer function. The PL data sheet says 1 nS risetime.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I see PL 520 datasheet specification for >100MHz, but it says nothing about the waveform or depth of modulation so I can't make any inference of 1ns, only that it should be better than 10ns, and maybe if you're accepting a rough sloping ascent at that. Where does that 1ns figure come from? I got my datasheet from ProPhotonix, an official Osram distributor, and can't find anythign later than their 'preliminary' datasheet. I imagine Osram would see to it that an official distributor had the latest data...
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-01-2013 at 17:35.

what dichro are you using to mix the diodes? I could not find one to work. can you post some images so we can see the modulation quality. I have been waiting for drivers so I never got to see how well the three diodes modulate together. My hope is they are as good as pcaom.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    what dichro are you using to mix the diodes? I could not find one to work. can you post some images so we can see the modulation quality. I have been waiting for drivers so I never got to see how well the three diodes modulate together. My hope is they are as good as pcaom.
    What didn't work for you I used standard OSLS dichros with no issues.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-mini-PJ-build
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    (I'd rather not install a shutter)
    install a shutter