Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh look the syrian army is here!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thank you! As always, thanks again for all you do to maintain this valuable resource you are entrusted with.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomseed View Post
    First of all way to keep the BBS up to date....
    They had themselves some zeroday technologies. I could go into a lot of detail as to what happened and why but there really isn't much of a point.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Yep, same garbage. Whole bunch of people got tagged by this.

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Has anyone informed Herr Spec?
    People called before the scripts I have here did. That was neat.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I don't know if it is a problem with PL or the routing because I am not getting it.
    Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Just showing for none logged in users now.
    Yea, things went full retard for a bit. There was only so much I could do while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by silentgloves View Post
    I saw it for the better part of today. Was irritating! I want to see responses to my thread!
    And now you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Was there this morning for me but gone now. I saved a few screen shots of it in the discussion over on LPF.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f60/lo...ked-85266.html
    +3 Funny and +1 armchair sysadmin syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    Glad there seems to have been no loss to the forum database. That was either luck or due diligence with the backups.

Great job restoring it!

In all, the event serves as a great reminder to watch for security patches...
    Forum is clean as far as I can tell. There should have been zero loss of data. As to security patches for stuff like this: As soon as I get a time machine I'll put preemptive patching on the list of stuff I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I see Syria has now been freed.
    You know... It's rather counter intuitive to use forums as a springboard for politically motivated messages... It pisses off the very people they are trying to make aware of their situation.

All the self promotion didn't help either.

But hey, I sanitized the junk they threw here and added it as a default "you pissed me off" message I can force on "special" users in the future... kinda like keeping the bullet that was shot at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post

You know... It's rather counter intuitive to use forums as a springboard for politically motivated messages... It pisses off the very people they are trying to make aware of their situation.
    Ha ha. I think my message got lost in translation. I meant freed from PL not freed.

I agree entirely Rob, hacking people's web sites to make politically motivated statements isn't good publicity in fact it engenders far more bad feeling than good.

I couldn't even tell if it was pro missiles or anti missiles....not a good job spreading whatever their message was.

Saw it - despised it.
    There was some pretty FU'd crap on there, including WAY too many posts of graphic video clips of retaliations done in the name of the "religion" coming from that part of the world.

Good job cleaning that crap up, Rob!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Clean as a whistle here now. Thanks. While I have sympathy for anyone outraged at direct loss in war, whoever they are, the thing to do seems to be to strengthen the non-combatants so people getting out from under know who their friends are, where they can go to get safe. All the propaganda seems to have one thing in common from either side: pour fuel on the fire. The best thing we can do is live as we usually do, live and let live. Cos all those poor bastards will want something to do when the fire eventually goes out. So we just keep life worth living....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Clean as a whistle here now. Thanks. While I have sympathy for anyone outraged at direct loss in war, whoever they are, the thing to do seems to be to strengthen the non-combatants so people getting out from under know who their friends are, where they can go to get safe. All the propaganda seems to have one thing in common from either side: pour fuel on the fire. The best thing we can do is live as we usually do, live and let live. Cos all those poor bastards will want something to do when the fire eventually goes out. So we just keep life worth living....
    Well said, Doctor!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thankyou. It's especially good to see an ex military pilot recognise the value in that kind of peace. And Buffo, who served on a sub in the Navy, also knows it. Contrary to 'popular opinion' in many nations, it seems to me that many in the US armed services really have a strong sense of this. And that guys like the man in Doctor Strangelove who worried about his water are far and few between. And as a kid I remember that the old men who knew war were usually the most genuinely compassionate ones. So the thing is, can the young brash ones who think they'll live forever learn what the older ones know, but without going through hell first, or putting anyone else through it? I can't answer that, but history does look as if people have tried, with some success. Going to retreat from this now, I try to subdue my opinions on it, mostly. I find quiet watching more useful as I get older.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

"Peace is Our Profession". Wonderful Motto during my childhood of the U.S. Strategic Air Command, which does not exist any more. The US Military leadership is well aware, that the last thing they want to do, is start a war. The service persons I have known and worked with, have almost to a man, had the institutional attitude that war is a last resort. Especially if the persons on the other side are professional soldiers.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-13-2013 at 07:47.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

You would think if they really wanted us to read it they would at least put it in English!