Thread: zulu telephone wire art

Default zulu telephone wire art

I just found something really neat on eBay. I was looking to buy some bulk or scrap multi-line 24AWG solid copper telephone wire and I happened upon this:

Do an eBay search for "zulu telephone wire".

Cool stuff!

BTW does anyone out there have a nice hunk of 25 pair telephone wire?

I use that stuff like crazy when I make LaserBoy DACs.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that's cool.. i really enjoy the melding of modern technology with ethnographic art.

i have a house full of hopi baskets and navajo rugs. some of those telephone wire pieces would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I just found something really neat on eBay. I was looking to buy some bulk or scrap multi-line 24AWG solid copper telephone wire and I happened upon this:

Do an eBay search for "zulu telephone wire".

Cool stuff!

BTW does anyone out there have a nice hunk of 25 pair telephone wire?

I use that stuff like crazy when I make LaserBoy DACs.

James.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I also really like to explore the connection between technology and art. I love the fact that many aspects of electronics are color coded. I think a good eye for artistic integrity applied to the design of some item of technology results in a finished product that is not only easier for others to visually grasp and understand but is also aesthetically attractive.

I think a lot of art went into my recent design of the new LaserBoy Correction Amp PC board.

I consider myself to be an artist before a designer of technology.

http://akrobiz.com/pc/

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have been exploring those themes with some of my own art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	petro-guy-for-pl.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	40074

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I also really like to explore the connection between technology and art. I love the fact that many aspects of electronics are color coded. I think a good eye for artistic integrity applied to the design of some item of technology results in a finished product that is not only easier for others to visually grasp and understand but is also aesthetically attractive.

I think a lot of art went into my recent design of the new LaserBoy Correction Amp PC board.

I consider myself to be an artist before a designer of technology.

http://akrobiz.com/pc/

James.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That's very nice.

I like the juxtaposition of ancient looking tribal art in a stone (age) setting, produced with the very new technology of laser projection and digital photography. But that is clearly art for the sake of art; made using modern technology.

What I'm talking about is art employed to make technology better.

Consider the fact that items of technology or "science gadgets" are created for their function; not for their looks.

But there are a lot of opportunities for a person to call upon artistic inspiration to accomplish the task of converting an idea into a real object.

My contention is that design directions guided by artistic influences can and will lead to a better design, even when examined from a purely technical perspective.

Order is good. Art is a kind of order. Applying the order of art to anything will make it better.

This obviously leads to the question: what is art?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Art = Significant Form

I have a 17-lumia projector gallery opening at the Dow museum of Science and Art on Oct. 5, Midland MI.
    "L is for Laser".

http://mikegouldlaserartist.com

I like your stuff!

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    Art = Significant Form
    That's probably the best two word answer.

Congratulations on the museum exhibit!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials