Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fading Lasers without modulation, optically

If the lasers are polarised you can easily dim them by inserting a polaroid filter into the beam and rotate it with a servo. If the energy is to high expand the beam.
    A pbs takes higher powers but is more difficult to rotate.
    Last edited by -bart-; 09-25-2013 at 08:51.

... I've used polarizing goggles used in 3D-cinema for 'dimming' light by rotating one of the eyepieces against the other ...

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    How about a galvo with a wide mirror and a retro-reflector like in the old XY+blanking scanners?
    Or how about an actuator of the type used as a beam shutter with the a flag of ND filter cut off the strip so that when activated it swings the flag into the path of the beam. By having several (if your optical table was big enough) could you not combine densities by having multiple actuators with different density flags on them and then combining a number in the beam as well as putting them in individually? Also, would this not open the possibility for programmed sequences allowing for many varied densities?

Just an idea and I guess it depends on how stiff the ND filter material is, but maybe it could work.

Edmund's had a linear as well. I don't know if they still do. Seems like they were around $100
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Just out of curiosity, why not modulate? Is it because of the cost? I am going to use modulation in mine with Dave's DMX boards for my 0~5V reference... http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=285

I have already tested these and they work like a charm. I can queue my lumias via DMX.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I have some of these 1/2 wave plates rotated by stepper motor. The parallel plates separate the two polarizations and the waveplate varies the ratio 0-100%. They are from Laserscopes - 532nm. Not sure how they would work for other wavelengths. Of course your beam must be polarized.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11573.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	844.6 KB 
ID:	40110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11574.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	849.0 KB 
ID:	40111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lspol.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	40112

Ummmm.... not sure if this would work but, find an old Martin MAC600 or MAC300 moving light on FleaBay.
    They use an etched glass wheel on a stepper as a frost filter that runs from clear to pretty much fully opaic as the wheel turns.
    Was a pretty crap effect as it dimmed more than softened the beam, hence think it might work here... but it might not give you a full blackout...

Might be worth a go if it's cheap enough
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I have a friend locally who produces high quality photographic filters (ND a speciality). I'll ask for some prices.

What sort of power are we talking here PolishedBall?

1.5-2w

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I have a friend locally who produces high quality photographic filters (ND a speciality). I'll ask for some prices.

What sort of power are we talking here PolishedBall?
    leading in trailing technology

Might have to do some experimenting as not sure what his dyes will take. Worth a blast though.