Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non blanking projector / flicker

Default Non blanking projector / flicker

Cheap Chinese boat anchor doesn't blank, flickers and has bad color mixing. Oh what a waste of $. I won't get into the brand but I would like some advise on where to start on m6 troubleshooting process to repair and or correct issues. Is there any known repair guides, manuals out there? This projector was claimed to be a 1w RGB with sd card. Any direction, help is appreciated.

You get what you pay for.

I would suggest the following changes to bring this up to spec.

1. Drop in a set of DT40 wide scanners
    2. Drop in a GM20 shutter
    3. Drop in a StanWax ILDA input card with safety interlock
    4. Drop in a colour correction board
    5. Drop in a 500mW Laserwave 532nm module
    6. Drop in a corrected 445nm module
    7. Drop in a knife edged pair of 638nm Optnext diodes
    8. Drop in a set of good dichro mounts with decent dichros
    9. Drop in a AR front glass
    10. Upgrade the case cooling and fit filters
    11. If it wont fit in the original case then upgrade the case also
    This space for rent.

This made me laugh so much! Less of an upgrade and more of completely new build! :P

Welcome to PL Wes. Dnar is right though. You have stepped into a hobby that will make you want perfection and it may well bankrupt you. Enjoy... we do

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    You get what you pay for.

I would suggest the following changes to bring this up to spec.

1. Drop in a set of DT40 wide scanners
    2. Drop in a GM20 shutter
    3. Drop in a StanWax ILDA input card with safety interlock
    4. Drop in a colour correction board
    5. Drop in a 500mW Laserwave 532nm module
    6. Drop in a corrected 445nm module
    7. Drop in a knife edged pair of 638nm Optnext diodes
    8. Drop in a set of good dichro mounts with decent dichros
    9. Drop in a AR front glass
    10. Upgrade the case cooling and fit filters
    11. If it wont fit in the original case then upgrade the case also

The simple guide follows:

1. Remove shit parts
    2. Replace with Strawberry jam parts

The issue you have is one of expectations. Your wallet was happy with the price, your eyes on the other hand think your wallet is a tight wad. To achieve good results you have to remove the moths from your wallet.
    This space for rent.

Can I steal that for a forum sig?

Sure thing. ........
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    This made me laugh so much! Less of an upgrade and more of completely new build! :P

Welcome to PL Wes. Dnar is right though. You have stepped into a hobby that will make you want perfection and it may well bankrupt you. Enjoy... we do

Keith
    My Bad Wes: Just realised you have been a member since Febuary and sure I've said hi before :P

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Sure thing. ........
    Ta muchly. I don't usually do sigs anymore but I like that enough to use it for a while.

Oh I see how it is...Well, like many and or most here I don't sh** money each morning. If I did I would buy a legal 3w RGB..but as things go for now I am tinkering with my X brand cheapo non compliant light emmitter until I can sh** money..
    Any other do it yourself practical advise? ( is appreciated)
    Why oh why with all the experience here or any place else, has no one written the DIY guidebook on this "hobby"? A colalaboration? Video's, etc..Huh? I want answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by wes702 View Post
    Oh I see how it is...Well, like many and or most here I don't sh** money each morning. If I did I would buy a legal 3w RGB..but as things go for now I am tinkering with my X brand cheapo non compliant light emmitter until I can sh** money..
    Any other do it yourself practical advise? ( is appreciated)
    Why oh why with all the experience here or any place else, has no one written the DIY guidebook on this "hobby"? A colalaboration? Video's, etc..Huh? I want answers!!
    Well, there is the Big Red Thread. 55 pages of it. Search here, or via Google, for the Holy Grail or Flashlight Fail thread. Following links in and out of that gets you a lot. Parts like good scanners will just cost, no getting away from that, but red and blue lasers can be built. If you can do that well you solve two things: Getting red and blue lasers, and paying for at least some of the other stuff. With green diodes beginning to appear, you may solve all colours, leaving the rest of the system to be paid for, but you have a shot at making the hobby pay its way. If you can buy your most important bits 25 at a time you can get plenty of backups, save on the modest bulk discount, have spares to sell, etc. Save for that, use the time to plan your design, learn stuff, etc...

Edit:
    One other seriously important bit of advice:
    Try to cool your base plate externally, so no airflow has to go through the projector. The earlier you try to figure that out, the less time you will waste, and the less regrets you will have. There IS NO WAY to overstate the importance of this. Let it guide everything else you do. You'll be glad you did, many times, many many times...

More edit: there actually are some videos. They're specific to building diode lasers, but Planters has made some that deal with spatial filtering and other methods that help get good beam quality using parts with low or at least modest cost. Like the Big Red Thread, other useful threads tend to end up getting cross-linked internally. There;s enough clues and phrases in my post now to get you started on the (tangled and complex) trail. And the only way to get lost is to try to take on too much at once. Rest whenever you need, just don't stay still too long if you want to get anywhere. And last but not at all least, Sam's Laser FAQ will help with things like DIY diode drive, diode handling, and may other things which will help, even if not as directly as you might first want. Like some weird game, mark the turnings that look like you might want to use them some time, or visit again.

Even if you end up resorting to the shortcut of money, you'll know more about where best to spend it.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-05-2013 at 08:00.