Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TEXLEM 2014 (Houston Feeler)

John,

The cost for TEXLEM was around $1,500, but that included shirts and about $200, maybe more, that I ate. We were able to provide $700 to Urban 15 for the use of their facility. I also spent quite a bit on show content and hardware upgrades to support same. At least it will be a available for the next TEXLEM.

The biggest concern when planning a LEM, is getting enough folks to pay in advance to cover the expense. We had about 22 people for TEXLEM. I would say that another LEM would either be fewer items provided (such as shirts) and the materials used for the lumia workshop. If we can get more folks to pay in advance early enough, it will make another LEM more likely. It's not reasonable to expect the organizer(s) to eat expenses to make a LEM happen. It would be great to see another TEXLEM happen, but we have to have many people prepay in advance, rather than pay right before the event. After all, expenses don't change if you cannot attend.

I'd like to see how many will commit to another TEXLEM. I have no idea what one near Houston would cost or how many we would need to attend. I would commit if we can keep the cost under $80 per person. Anything more than that, and I think we would have a difficult time getting folks to attend.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Cafeteria at a private school might be a suggestion. Public schools would likely be a no-go. A Grange Hall perhaps if they have such places in your area. Some civic associations may have function spaces. We also have an artsy community here with a small performance hall that isn't always in use but, it's a pretty unique place. You may still find some community theaters though you can check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    John,

The cost for TEXLEM was around $1,500, but that included shirts and about $200, maybe more, that I ate. We were able to provide $700 to Urban 15 for the use of their facility. I also spent quite a bit on show content and hardware upgrades to support same. At least it will be a available for the next TEXLEM.

The biggest concern when planning a LEM, is getting enough folks to pay in advance to cover the expense. We had about 22 people for TEXLEM. I would say that another LEM would either be fewer items provided (such as shirts) and the materials used for the lumia workshop. If we can get more folks to pay in advance early enough, it will make another LEM more likely. It's not reasonable to expect the organizer(s) to eat expenses to make a LEM happen. It would be great to see another TEXLEM happen, but we have to have many people prepay in advance, rather than pay right before the event. After all, expenses don't change if you cannot attend.

I'd like to see how many will commit to another TEXLEM. I have no idea what one near Houston would cost or how many we would need to attend. I would commit if we can keep the cost under $80 per person. Anything more than that, and I think we would have a difficult time getting folks to attend.
    That's not bad at all!
    I book artists on a weekly/monthly basis and pay $2000-$5000 with the HOPE people will show up haha!

Less than $80 sounds more than achievable. Once we get a decent number of people willing to attend we can see how big of a space we need.
    I would also like to see who all would be down to attend to see if it would be worth going through the trouble of
    Organizing.

On that note if timing works out well im sure there will be some new shiny toys for everyone to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Cafeteria at a private school might be a suggestion. Public schools would likely be a no-go. A Grange Hall perhaps if they have such places in your area. Some civic associations may have function spaces. We also have an artsy community here with a small performance hall that isn't always in use but, it's a pretty unique place. You may still find some community theaters though you can check out.
    I know of some spots that would work for sure. But the security of the venue and area concerns me so I will look elsewhere. I would hate for something to happen to everyone's equipment.

I'm going to price a small hall at the George R Brown Convention center to get a rough cost.

I also found a big gymnastics type gym that rents the venue out for events like bingo night n such.

I always have thought a site midway between Houston and Dallas, or Houston and San Antonio. Some place like Fairfield or Columbus. There may not be any other option - like Conover-Newton for SELEM, we likely need to get out of a big city to make this affordable.

I still think there may be potential with VFW halls?
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I can contact some places out of the city.
    I sent a few messages to club owners and friends to see if they have any spaces available for the weekend for less than $1000. Waiting on reply's

This may sound funny...

But I just contacted every laser tag arena in and around town haha... could be interesting

http://www.aerosolwarfare.com/?page_id=1701

Thoughts on this place? They are a bit expensive but I'll wait until I get replies from all other venues before I start to haggle a price.

It is worth a shot...

Oh yeah I thought of something if you have a friend that is a real estate agent sometimes they can hook you up with a deal renting a large commercial space for a week etc... while it is still listed for lease etc it makes them a bit of money (from past experience running other events). I have pondered renting a commercial space for a LEM before but a month to month property and starting utilities probably wouldn't be worth it.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.