Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TEXLEM 2014 (Houston Feeler)

Cool TEXLEM 2014 (Houston Feeler)

Ok guys,

Wanted to make a new thread with a more direct title other than (houston?)

I am volunteering to help organize this event for Houston. I would like, if there is someone in the area, someone that has organized one of these before to lend a hand.

As far as the DJ's and sound system goes, i have that covered. Just let me know how loud you guys want this to be. We can have fun or we can PARTY.
    (I throw club parties/events on a weekly basis)

From reading old threads i figure one of the bigger hotels in houston with a conference/convention room would be our best bet.
    I have a friend in Houston that will start calling hotels tomorrow to get specifics.

I have a corporate account with Hotel Derek near the Galleria (biggest mall in Houston) and can get NICE rooms for $90 a night, we will check there first.

So who is willing to lend me a hand with this?
    What are some of your personal requirements as far as the event itself goes?

Also depending on how "public" we want to make the event. I have a huge promotional network to get the word out.

I prefer non-hotel venues for the lems... Talk to Displacer he is local and helped with TELEM I at Urban 15. They have a really nice new dance floor now and don't want us messing it up so we can't go back (billboard tarp over the floor could have taken care of that problem). A warehouse is just fine if you know people with a commercial building that has a bathroom and access to the power box (worst comes to worst rent a genset).

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Not a problem. I can find something different.

Any reason you don't like hotels?

I'm going to assume that it's due to smoke detectors, as well as hours possible, etc. Nothing like setting off the alarms and loud music to keep the customers happy.

The checklist doesn't have to be too long. Urban 15 was a perfect venue, but is an unknown for future events - maybe with enough $$$ we could do another? We definitely DO NOT want this as a publicized event. Waivers must be signed by all attending. I thought that VFW halls would be a good location, but a few around Houston are quite expensive - I would believe even more than SELEM with fewer options.

We will continue the search...

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    Not a problem. I can find something different.

Any reason you don't like hotels?
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    I'm going to assume that it's due to smoke detectors, as well as hours possible, etc. Nothing like setting off the alarms and loud music to keep the customers happy.

The checklist doesn't have to be too long. Urban 15 was a perfect venue, but is an unknown for future events - maybe with enough $$$ we could do another? We definitely DO NOT want this as a publicized event. Waivers must be signed by all attending. I thought that VFW halls would be a good location, but a few around Houston are quite expensive - I would believe even more than SELEM with fewer options.

We will continue the search...
    You hit the nail on the head. If we want urban 15 again billboard tarp is cheap and thick we could even leave it with them for future protection. I have the glue to bond larger pieces together to make a custom fit.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I'm going to call a few places that do wedding receptions. (Looked a few with the old lady recently that might work well)

I'm also going to check out http://www.houstonconventionctr.com/...loorPlans.aspx as they have several different sections of different sizes.
    They have big events here in the larger room. (Hot import nights, comicon, etc)

what would we like to set a tentative budget at? For venue rental.

What was the cost of TEXLEM 2012?

We can always have fire zones disabled by a firemarshal. I do agree about the loud noise though.

I could try and make this happen at Stereo Live. It's a concert venue so if we did that it would have to be during he week. (Mon-Wednesday) weekend rental cost is over $10,000 for one night.

Any estimated square footage needed? I know high ceilings would be a must.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I think you're going to find many things to be rather cost prohibitive. A hotel or your wedding venues do just that on weekends.... Therefore, if they rent it to you, they need/want comparative revenue. That's the problem I have. I HAVE the venue, the sound, the equipment, etc. But... I can't tie it up for a weekend and risk losing $20,000 to 10-20 laserists. Plus, as mentioned, other guests, loud music fog/haze and security of expensive equipment present problems in many public venues.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Oh, and Texlem venue cost was technically $500 for the weekend with more ultimately given. SELEM I think is in the $1500-$2000 range. You need a lot of people for that. Do the math ahead of time. Say you get 20 people willing to spend $50 ... That means you need a venue willing to take about $800 for the weekend. No easy feat.

(Not trying to curb enthusiasm or burst a bubble... Just pointing out it may not be as easy as one would think. )

I agree and know what you mean. I'll find us a venue I'm good at finding venues haha

I am also wiling to eat some cost seeing how I'm new to this "community"

I'm going to look for a space that doesn't have prior weekend engagements. (Which does throw most wedding/receptions out the window haha)