Thread: 532 DPSS ?

Default 532 DPSS ?

I have a 1W 532 that has an issue, wondering how common this might be, what the cause could be etc. There is the main beam retaining more than 99.9% of the overall power, but to one side about a 1/16 of an inch out there is another very low power beam. I noticed it first as a ghost green image on screen when scanning. It can easily be clipped trimmed off, but wondering if this means it is dying or what the cause may be.

Thanks for any thoughts
    leading in trailing technology

Sounds like an internal reflection maybe. I doubt that it is dying.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Guess no big deal. Most of my DPSS systems (especially the higher power units and 473nm) do have such ghost beams.

I had a bunch of high quality 532nm DPSS single longitudinal mode JDSU lasers with the same problem. The operation wasn't affected by the ghost beam at all.

As others have said, it's no big deal. Not sure of the cause though and would be interested to learn for future reference.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

This is normal, and not a problem. Its a ghost beam from the output side of the output coupler mirror. Everything does this, even HENEs. laser diodes are the exception, but even they may have minor ghosts. It gets worse ie will be ~.396% of output power, if the manufacturer does not apply a anti-reflection coat and/or wedge to the output side of the OC.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

^^^ Thanks Steve, I now understand
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001