Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PLS MiCRO and MiCRO XL Laser Housing Platform

Laser cutting aluminium doesn't work real well. It will leave a lot of dags and what not.. Might Water jet cutting be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    The first order has been submitted, and manufacturing has begun! We decided to use a laser cutter, instead of having the panels punched, for time and cost considerations. (Yo' dawg, we heard you like lasers...)

We went ahead and had a few extra made, beyond what has been ordered, so we'll have some for taking good pictures of.

Cheers,
    LL
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

We'll post some photos of other laser-cut examples we had to work with tomorrow. It turns out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Laser cutting aluminium doesn't work real well. It will leave a lot of dags and what not.. Might Water jet cutting be a better choice?

Dave, laser cutting aluminum works well if you have enough laser power. I have seen some really nice stuff. And in lower volumes it is cheaper than setting up a cnc punch especially if they don't have a d25 already.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Here's an example of the edge quality on .125" 5052. As you can see, it's very clean. There is some little burrs on the lead-in/lead-out, but that's easily taken care of with a small file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131011_094409.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	940.0 KB 
ID:	40416
    Neat!

3/8" aluminum plate, made in the USA at Alcoa, ready to be turned into your laser cases! [edit] not sure why it flipped my image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2172.JPG  

IMG_2172.JPG  

Neat!

Hey, just a suggestion. Next time use mic6 6061 tooling plate. It is already machined front and back flat. Those are going to be a bitch to surface..

.02c

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hey, just a suggestion. Next time use mic6 6061 tooling plate. It is already machined front and back flat. Those are going to be a bitch to surface..
    Yes, using mic6 was taken into consideration, but since we have to put the holes and counterbore on that surface, we couldn't justify the increase in price. Additionally, the mic6 would still have to be touched with a tool, since the outside surfaces will be anodized. It would look odd if only the top and bottom were a different finish quality than the sides.

For those that don't know, I own and operate a machine shop, which I inherited from my dad, who's been a machinist since the 60's (he served as a machinist in the Navy, working on aircraft carriers, mostly). Some of my regular customers include Tektronix, Garmin, FLIR, nLight, and Boeing, to name a few. These laser cases have been designed with as much thought and attention to detail that I put into all of our products. I chose to partner with Jonathan (Platinum) because I saw that same level of detail and thought put into his work. he just needed the help of someone with a machine shop at their disposal.

I have full confidence that you will be pleased with what you see when we get some pictures up here.
    Neat!

Default A few pictures before anodizing...

Here are a few photos I took real quick before these are sent off to the anodizer:

Looking good Jonathan! I hope to see one in person in the near future.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

whats this one weigh roughly?