Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eightonlight and Goldenstar laser projectors?

Default Eightonlight and Goldenstar laser projectors?

EDIT: The way some of the members here have desperately tried to identify my location and nationality for whatever reason they believed was needed for by asking an admin to check my profile logs and researching me by the content of my posts has been very creepy and unnecessary. So bye.
    Last edited by dream; 04-28-2016 at 16:45. Reason: wrong info

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Both companies are standouts among the Asian manufacturing crowd. Each has a "niche" as it relates to PL. Goldenstar has a large assortment of things for sale that are of benefit to the hobbyist - mounts, dichros, cases, scanners, mirrors, electronics, modules etc. They also sell projectors.

Lightspace clearly leans towards projectors with less emphasis on selling various small parts, or cases. The sell their own line of scanners and red and blue modules. The straight up build for build side by side edge on projectors goes to Lightspace. I've not seen a lot in person from Goldenstar but have seen a lot of pictures. I've seen a lot from Lightspace and they make a very impressive projector for the money. Is it quite as "polished" as Kvant? No, but not very far off. Especially when the price ratio is 3:1.

Both have excellent customer service and a good reputation on PL.

I don't think you will find any similar fair comparisons. CR-Tec makes some nice projectors and are an ILDA Corporate Level 1 member but, they seem to have a bit of a mix in products. Much of it looks like cheap DJ junk and some looks more professional and higher quality.

Actually... you might also look at a company called Able Lasers. We've been having a discussion about them in another thread and are looking forward to a review on them soon.

Ok.. you've got me curious. Why do you need a "blue only" projector? Green only I can understand. And a monster blue only I can understand. What's your intended use and power requirements?

Visibility mainly. A majority of people are looking for either two types of projectors... RGB or green. It's rare to find someone who is only looking for blue.

Since the eye see's green much easier than other colors, you can have a much brighter appearing projector with less power and therefore less money. Blue and red are approaching the ends of the visible spectrum so, you need a lot more power for comparable brightness. These figures are not accurate but, as an example:

A blue projector might need to be 3 or 4 watts or more, to equal the perceived brightness of a half watt of green. That's going to be more expensive to purchase AND a lot less safe, with the amount of damage that can be done with that much blue. So a "blue only" projector is sort of a specialty item...that's why I was curious.

Now... don't get me wrong. I've seen a monster blue (meaning lots of power) in person (about 8 -9 watts) and I can understand why someone would want it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vQTBOMNEg

Here is a video showing a couple of what I refer to as monster blues. There was a matched pair brought to SELEM and they were stupid bright at (I think) about 9 watts each. The owners plan was going to start marketing them soon and likely be in the $5k-$6k range. Video still doesn't do it justice.

Humm... if you are going to use it for animations... couple thoughts. Do you have any idea of the projected distance you want to cover between projector and wall/scrim/screen and... any idea of the ambient lighting in the area you're going to use it? While yes, lasers sources regardless of what they are, are bright, just 445 blue projected as graphics will still take a lot to be bright depending on distance.

Edit: Just went back and saw your link to what it is you want to do. That's fine but, just keep in mind that the camera may very well have picked that up probably a lot brighter than what they eye would. Only throwing it out these as experience.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 10-31-2013 at 03:42.

Oh... and one other observation/suggestion. Your links in the original post have 20k scanners. The Goldenstar has options for better scanners. The Serpens might too but, if your main focus is on graphics, that's something you'll want to take into consideration. Both of those are better suited for beams.

Dark and 10 meters should be fine at that power.

Also just sent you a PM.

Smile

Brad;

He wants a single-color projector - for animation work - and he is on a tight budget. With those constraints, the only way he could afford a 1 watt projector is if he went with Blue. (Even a half-watt of green would have been too much.) Completely agree that he needs upgraded scanners for the graphics though.

As for why he wants to use an uninterruptible power supply, that is less clear, but my understanding is that AC power might be scarce where he will be running the projector, and he'd prefer to avoid long extension cord runs. (His laptop will be running off it's own battery.)

Adam