Thread: Before I do it.... a question.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Before I do it.... a question.

I had to replace the green module in a RGB projector. Quite the undertaking in this particular box but, going from a 1 watt Viasho that died and replacing it with a 1 watt DHOM I had laying around. The existing wiring inside the case from the DZ(Stanwax) color correction board to the various modules was not color coded for red and black. It was just old grey ribbon cable. I don't see any printing on the correction board indicating positive or negative coming out. The DHOM does have a modulation leads with red and black for positive and negative so I need to wire those leads to the unmarked grey wires previously going to the Viasho. Am I going to damage anything if I accidentally put positive to negative and negative to positive to test and determine which way they go to send the signal to the driver? I don't "think" so but... better to measure twice and cut once.

Brad if you own a multimeter just connect to the modulation line, you'll get a positive voltage one way and a negative another if you apply signal to the ilda connector. I have a test rig that varies the voltage to the mod lines on the connector, but you could just connect a dac. Just look out for beams and stray beams if ya do it, from the two still connected.

And good going getting in there to play and finding time to play
    leading in trailing technology

It's taken several days and some drilling and tapping but, when I get a couple minutes here or a couple minutes there, I'm trying to get some of this stuff tackled. It's amazing how every time I get a few free moments to do "anything" with lasers, the phone rings or somone is banging at the door. It's like they "know"! Grr...

(Worked like a charm by the way). I SEE GREEN!!!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 10-15-2013 at 09:12.

May be a stupid question but just to be sure...

I have a dead green laser and I want to troubleshot.

The input of diode is DC right ? 0-5v ?

Quote Originally Posted by HKoncept View Post
    May be a stupid question but just to be sure...

I have a dead green laser and I want to troubleshot.

The input of diode is DC right ? 0-5v ?
    For driver modulation that should be the case... The diode lasers all have different voltages and currents to drive them from 2.2v to 8vdc+ Depending on the laser diode. The driver design determines what input voltage you need.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

The modulation line should be as far as I understand. It comes from the DAC often fed by the USB port on your computer which I believe is always 5 volts. The power for the module might not be. I'm not the best one to answer that question though. Someone will probably hop on and confirm that though.