Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Z-5 Analog Abstract Generator

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    So now you're arguing that in order to be professional, you have to do things the hard way? That's beyond stupid. First, this product is not aimed at laser professionals. The pros have long since abandoned analog consoles in favor of more advanced methods to create abstracts. (Digisynth comes to mind...)

Second, even if it were designed to be sold to professionals, adding labels does not in any way detract from the dedication required to master the use of this console.
    I like this and don't think the labels are an issue, but really the labelling should include brail, how else will blind people operate this generator?

But seriously, nice. A cable patch between blocks would be a nice touch, allowing reconfiguration on the fly. I have a friend here in Perth that designs and sells analog synths, I should explore combining his works with lasers.... Food for thought.

Here are some of his creations. "Non-Linear Circuits". I have produced laser shows for/at his performances, totally wicked.

Laserist - build a bridge. Life is short.
    This space for rent.

Sir DZ, I shared your post and project with my analog synth friend, he was impressed and thinks your asking price is very reasonable.

He and I have started our own conversation re producing a laser interface card to match any analog synth with an ILDA projector... Some interesting live show concepts in the brew.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I like this and don't think the labels are an issue, but really the labelling should include brail, how else will blind people operate this generator?
    I like it - after all Beethoven was deaf - of course his instrument of choice didn't have labels either...

But seriously, nice. A cable patch between blocks would be a nice touch, allowing reconfiguration on the fly. I have a friend here in Perth that designs and sells analog synths, I should explore combining his works with lasers.... Food for thought.

Here are some of his creations. "Non-Linear Circuits". I have produced laser shows for/at his performances, totally wicked.

Laserist - build a bridge. Life is short.
    Ah yes, Life is short. I suppose I could sprinkle my posts with emoticons - but the real conflict is I want to use lasers in a planetarium setting as part of a LIVE ABSTRACT fine art performance, and some of the people who disagree with my point of view use them as a representational commercial art. Is one of us superior? Well yes, at least by one measure - the commercial art guys are making more money! We're going to disagree - our perspectives are completely different - as for a bridge - it's already there - but for some there's an invisible barrier.

"So that's what an invisible barrier looks like!" -Time Bandits
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

OK, will you settle for black switches on a black background marked in black and with a light that lights up black when it is on?

BTW I don't think the piano is can fair comparison... It has unique ebony keys that map out the layout. Guitar strings also don't have labels. Neither pianist or guitarist need to look at their surface in order to play.
    This space for rent.

OK, will you settle for black switches on a black background marked in black and with a light that lights up black when it is on?

BTW I don't think the piano is can fair comparison... It has unique ebony keys that map out the layout. Guitar strings also don't have labels. Neither pianist or guitarist need to look at their surface in order to play.
    I'll settle for whatever the guy who built it did or didn't do. I really don't care that much, except when I modify the console at some point the labels that are now obsolete will eat at me a bit... My point was that if you need labels to operate a console you're holding yourself back... Agree, disagree, write them in Klingon, or some version of those really annoying "international" symbols - it's all the same to me.

BTW - the patch panel concept could be cool - especially if the actual patching is via crosspoint analog (or digital) switching so your patch can be saved as a preset and then modified from there. And if the patch is just a ground you can use less expensive connectors and there's less chance of connector noise. One real advantage is it allows single channel signals to be used well as a source in multi channel systems. Or forget wires - just press buttons representing the signal points you want to patch to program the crosspoint logic...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

nice nod to "the restaurant at the end of the universe"

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I'll settle for whatever the guy who built it did or didn't do. I really don't care that much, except when I modify the console at some point the labels that are now obsolete will eat at me a bit... My point was that if you need labels to operate a console you're holding yourself back... Agree, disagree, write them in Klingon, or some version of those really annoying "international" symbols - it's all the same to me.

BTW - the patch panel concept could be cool - especially if the actual patching is via crosspoint analog (or digital) switching so your patch can be saved as a preset and then modified from there. And if the patch is just a ground you can use less expensive connectors and there's less chance of connector noise. One real advantage is it allows single channel signals to be used well as a source in multi channel systems. Or forget wires - just press buttons representing the signal points you want to patch to program the crosspoint logic...
    Have you ever used digisynth?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    YES. It IS cool!
    ...and also in the works!
    ...and also sitting on my desk in front of me!
    ...more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Have you ever used digisynth?

No - I know Chuck pretty well (and respect his work), but he's been really focused on his LED projects since we met several years ago. We did talk briefly last month at GLPA about his interface mods to keep Digisynth technologically current. At the moment all my time is tied up between my actual job and my part of the Laserium reboot (Laserium is also consuming my disposable income - so buying stuff just because it's cool is on hold.) My part in the reboot involves turning the clock back to Laserium before Digital Imagery - I think of myself as the control in the experiment. At some point I'll start plowing new ground, but my highest priority right now is in experimenting with grass roots advertising/marketing that can help planetariums get butts in the seats consistently.

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
    Fuckin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign
    Five Man Electrical Band - 1970 (It's about a 1000 time worse today...)

TY for the sharing DZ-- and for the help freely given to me many times.