Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy New Bose Lifestyle V35 $2000, Bose Lifestyle V25 $1220, Bose VideoWave LCD $2245

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Oh no, I know what your thinking... Your cueing mp3 loops right? In that case go back to plan A and get a Bose system. You won't miss a thing.
    Lol

Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks Doc. The MkIIs look a lot better anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Being a purist, I am disgusted to think you would plug high quality headphones directly into you laptop. Do you know just has shitty the inbuild sound device is? At least use a decent USB or Firewire Audio Interface, preferable one with Class-A headphone amplifier.

I have used and owned Focusright and now Presonus (USB Audiobox).

Oh no, I know what your thinking... Your cueing mp3 loops right? In that case go back to plan A and get a Bose system. You won't miss a thing.
    Yes, need an external audio device. I also try to use flac when I can.
    Thanks for the advice
    <checks ebay>

Any chance of recall on the ear-surround sealed phones detail? If so, please let me know, I ought to look at that carefully when I need to replace. On-ear with HD25's sounds good but always feels a tiny bit insecure to me. Sometimes I like to move fast, and they're not perfect for that. Full surround is far more secure for bass, and long term pressure on ears isn't an issue either. I haven't had full surround phones for at least two decades..

For laptops... Keith, any S/PDIF out? If so, a headphone amp that can use it is well worth having. As far as I know, S/PDIF is extremely common, you could listen a CD in top quality that way even if all you had was a junk CD-ROM drive, so long as it worked at all. A cheap S/PDIF capable phone amp is probably the best way to get cheapness and good quality combined. You used to repair stuff, so this could be ideal. Get a cheap one, then upgrade the opamp(s) to nice Burr Browns or whatever.

Edit: Saw your latest post mentioning FLAC. Also look at WAVpack because it does a very good hybrid mode (2-part files). You can distribute the smaller (lossy) part of the file, and keep the other one for lossless archiving. Best of all, their lossy method does noise shaping but no exotic psychoacoustics. The result is similar to 192 or 256kbps MP3 in its balance of file size versus quality, but without the risk of objectionable artifact noises.

No S/PDIF out unfortunately. I'm planning on getting one of the Sony laptops, so will look for that.

I don't think I'm going to have time to be be modding stuff. Things are about to get busy for us and I've not learn to use LSX yet!

Never heard of WAVpack. I've only recently got back into music though, it being missing for my life for far too long!

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I'm planning on getting one of the Sony laptops...
    What?, no MAC?...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I've only recently got back into music though, it being missing for my life for far too long!
    Interesting.. I was just looking at the 'listening now' thread and posting a bit, but the truth is that while I like that stuff, and a whole lot more, apart from practising bass (so badly I think I ought to be honest and quit), I have listened to a hell of a lot of silence these last few years. Too much music can make me lose track of what I care about most. And usign really good music like wallpaper seems totally wrong to me anyway, so silence can make me figure out what sound I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    What?, no MAC?...
    I always assumed he was running Native Instruments Traktor on a MAC. My vision of a trendy hip techo DJ with his finger on the style pulse just went Poof! What serious DJ runs Windows on a Sony laptop? Not cool, not hip, not in touch with style and lifestyle. Definitely a Bose fan boy... LOL.
    This space for rent.

Haha... I'm also a newly converted MAC Fanboi as well

I would publicly like to thank all those on this forum that persuaded me to part with a hell of a lot of money to buy a 27" iMac. It's worth every penny. Daft thing is that I still need to run some Windoze programs, such as Beyond. I'm using VM Ware's Fusion, it runs Windows better than Windows, Lol

Oh, and I have NI Traktor on it as well

What?, no MAC?...
    Hmm, well, maybe. I have a Mac but the screen is dead and I've not got round to fixing it.

I'm using VM Ware's Fusion, it runs Windows better than Windows, Lol
    Same with WMware, VirtualBox etc. Funny. Shame Microsoft cant do the same natively!
    Oh, and I have NI Traktor on it as well
    Awesome yes?
    This space for rent.