Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how much power do projectors use?

I've run my 5W projector which is pretty heavy on juice thanks to the Dual Green DPSS on a 1500VA Eaton PowerWare for 30mins no problem at all with plenty of juice left. In fact will be doing exactly this again next weekend so can plug the laptop into the UPS & see exactly what its pulling. This is a decent UPS & I trust the output of it a lot more than a cheap genny or inverter.
    Last edited by dilbert; 10-30-2013 at 15:10. Reason: Added extra info

Yes ,I l also think by UPS is expensive too ,when we get the goods ,it also needs to pay more fees from it .

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstarwinni View Post
    Yes ,I l also think by UPS is expensive too ,when we get the goods ,it also needs to pay more fees from it .
    LOL!

Winni, I think something of this conversation has been lost in translation...

They're talking about Uninterruptible Power Supplies... Or using batteries for powering the laser projector.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    LOL!

Winni, I think something of this conversation has been lost in translation...

They're talking about Uninterruptible Power Supplies... Or using batteries for powering the laser projector.
    OMG ,make mistake for my reading now ,sorry ,you are correct .I donot know it is abbreviation word .It should see that I need to learn more english to improve my self well hehe .

I wonder if there is a method to rate laser projection power consumption that could reflect typical beam or graphic shows?

With audio, the accepted method is 1/8th pink noise, which closely resembles typical music with similar crest factor.

I have now tested consumption and plotted temperatures across the optic plate and found some interesting results. In my RGB the Dt30 scanners generate the most heat into the table, followed by the scan amps. With typical QS cues, sheets generate more heat than all other cues. Static shapes such a circles and squares much more so and this is worst case. Dial the scan speed down to 6k and the laser modules generate much more due to the higher duty cycle.

In fact looking at the modulation signals with a scope and you will see that generally the lasers are ON only a small duty cycle, lower as the scan speed is increased. Hot beams took me by surprise, such small duty cycle! Trying to understand why, as the scanners don' t need to spend a lot of time getting to each location....
    This space for rent.

Only measurement will work. Anything else is a statistical base. And that can't happen without a lot of collected measures to start with. Power supply types alone will make a huge difference, and a full system might have several mixed types of PSU.

I don't understand the bit about hot beams and small duty cycle in your last paragraph. I don't understand what you say you're seeing clearly; the phrasing looks ambiguous, but the rest seems related to power. And linear electronics. Basic thing of amps rising as well as the volts that define any large repeated motion in the scan.

PS. Be very wary of 'typical music'. That kind of notion is a trap, less useful than it looks. The day music slaves to fulfill technical expectation, it IS dead.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    PS. Be very wary of 'typical music'. That kind of notion is a trap, less useful than it looks. The day music slaves to fulfill technical expectation, it IS dead.
    That is why they invented pink noise!
    This space for rent.

You didn't answer me when I asked if you were getting to this location by car. It really helps if you can, saves carrying generator, battery, fuel. You don't need heavy cable. I think my earlier post might have got missed or at least misinterpreted. You need a decent ground wire from car chassis to local ground, but after that any old extension cable will do so long as it's safe and you can keep it dry.

Your main need is a fairly well regulated source of current, and you haven't given the scale you're operating on, or the context, so people can only assume you need a UPS because you say so, and maybe there is a better way.

Deep cycle batteries exist in various scales. Yuasa do them, like big alarm panel batteries, but intended for heavy load followed by quick recharge. What ever you do, it's going to be heavy! Lead acid batteries that can stand this kind of use have big plates in them. The only way to avoid that is to use a standard small-plate battery as regulator to soem other source of power, basically a generator. Now you could agonise over the engineering for weeks. Or you could take the car..... Even a small motorbike might be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    That is why they invented pink noise!
    Well, only because it sort of matches the reduction in harmonic intensity toward HF as with harmonic series patterns in most natural sounds (especially in aggregate, like wind and water noise). But you might have noticed we are in an age of very un-natural music sources and EQ'd sound balances. Even the now rightly unfashionable 'high string' sound broke the rules, and probably a few tweeters in its time. Pretty much the only thing a technical demand can win on, is the one that says: don't ask for a number greater than the highest available to express the momentary value. i.e. no clipping. Even there, some sounds allow a relaxed view on this too..

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstarwinni View Post
    OMG ,make mistake for my reading now ,sorry ,you are correct .I donot know it is abbreviation word .It should see that I need to learn more english to improve my self well hehe .
    Hehe, don't worry Winni - I get the 'wrong end of the stick' a lot and I'm a native English speaker!