Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted. Hologram of a ground glass plate.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Wanted. Hologram of a ground glass plate.

For various evil purposes I'd like a small transmission hologram of a fine ground glass plate. The plate should be about 1/2 cm from the emulsion. I'd like it shot with 633 or stabilized 532.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    For various evil purposes I'd like a small transmission hologram of a fine ground glass plate. The plate should be about 1/2 cm from the emulsion. I'd like it shot with 633 or stabilized 532.

Steve
    Pepper's Ghost of Pepper's Ghost? That might be evil enough for Halloween. Anyway, I think Jem might be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Anyway, I think Jem might be able to do this.
    Sadly not to the tolerances that Steve would want. This is a job for Eidetic (Bob Hess) who is much more capable than i'll ever be. Or, failing that...

Steve, do you have a Facebook account?... If so, look here http://www.facebook.com/groups/holography There's a good quantity of people on the group who could produce exactly what you want.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

What size for the hologram and the diffuser? Are Bragg effects important? What wavelength will you be using it at? Are polarization effects important? Is the shape of the diffuser important? Is there a reason you mentioned ground glass, or will any diffuser work? Is high diffraction efficiency important? How soon do you need it? What's the budget?
    Last edited by Eidetic; 11-01-2013 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    What size for the hologram and the diffuser? Are Bragg effects important? What wavelength will you be using it at? Are polarization effects important? Is the shape of the diffuser important? Is there a reason you mentioned ground glass, or will any diffuser work? Is high diffraction efficiency important? How soon do you need it? What's the budget?
    ^^^ Lol...

Thanks Bob. I knew this was waaay outside anything I could do, thanks for stepping in
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

A simple transmission hologram of a ground glass plate or 3M scotchlite tape would do. This is a for a curiosity of mine, it supposedly forms a frequency selective reflector. Again, this is just for personal amusement. May be a way to make a very precise but not very efficient dichro, if the plate was tilted at 45' during exposure. I'd just like a 90' incident glass plate hologram of small size. Budget is a few tens of dollars, polarization is indeterminate but would like vertical. No hurry, red or green, but preferably at a known wavelength, not a diode.

Steve

Can you send me a reference that describes what you're thinking of? With a dichroic reflector, one wavelength transmits and a different one reflects. A reflection hologram can do that very well, with >90% efficiency. It's just another way to make a Bragg reflector.

Angles are always measured from the normal to the surface. Do you really mean "90' incident" (as with evanescent wave illumination), or do you mean a normal incidence illumination beam?

A blazed grating made by recording a surface relief transmission hologram may what you're thinking of, but I don't get why the diffuser.

Let me throw my hat into the ring for this project, too. I have the only functioning research grade holo lab in the city of Chicago, and have experience making HOE's in a variety of styles and media.

Like Bob, I would like to know what exactly you need as far as geometry.

Check out my web site at nlutie.com/ewesly

PM me c/o this forum for details.
    I know what I want and I know how to get it
    I want to destroy passersby! - Sex Pistols

Oop's, Sorry Ed. I forgot that you were a member here as well

Eidetic, I do not have a paper to reference. All I have is a forum post on LCD design.

Normal incidence would be fine. However I suspect it needs to be shot with a upcollimated beam, so say 2-3 mm or more active area.

Steve