Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond EMUlaser

Default Beyond EMUlaser

Has anyone tried the EMUlaser function in Beyond yet?

Keen to know how useful this is.

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394
    This space for rent.

Not tried it dnar, but am starting to work with video/graphics projectors. You are right about the blacks, the brighter the output, the lighter your black will be. This problem becomes less of one the more you spend on your projector.

Keith

My local hackerspace recently scored a 4000 lumen Narco beast. I will try it out and let you know have it goes for crowd scanning.
    This space for rent.

DLP projectors have a better black than the LCD's ones.
    with the LCD's projector you get a brighter image if you compeers it to the same amount of ansilumes as a DLP projector.
    But you will always have this annoying grey glow. Even when no image is sent to the projector you get this grey light

Hi guys,

We recently rated two separate types of video projectors with use with BEYOND EmuLaser. Both were home theater class projectors, and both (supposedly) 2500 lumen. The most important thing with this feature is how black the blacks are, not how bright the image is. After the testing the Epson was the winner (I forget the number, something like 5080). We made a 30 minute video showing how to set it up, how to test projectors, etc. and also how to use this either by itself or along with lasers. We're still editing the video which will wind up to be around 30 minutes. I do have a private YouTube video showing around 3 minutes of results and I can send the link privately to those interested. Please contact me in the usual way (not PL private messaging system since I don't get to PL very much these days).

Bill

My questions is how does it scale to larger venues ? I assume it'd just be primarily for smaller rooms with not a lot of lighting (for beam shows anyhow). Anyone have a rough estimate of what would 2500 lumens compare to in mW of laser ?

It'd be interesting to see how a large barco or christie lites projector w/ a super long throw lens would compare.. Mind you at that point lasers are much more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    My questions is how does it scale to larger venues ? I assume it'd just be primarily for smaller rooms with not a lot of lighting (for beam shows anyhow). Anyone have a rough estimate of what would 2500 lumens compare to in mW of laser ?
    I hope to answer this question very soon...
    This space for rent.

Finally moved my qm2000 to a new computer with an extra video card. I've been itching to try this for some time. The only video projectors I have are a NEC NP40; DLP 2200 lumen with 1500:1 contrast and a NEC NP3151W; LCD 4000 lumen with a crap 500:1 contrast. As expected the smaller DLP was way better. Its hard to say how projector lumens compare to watts... Maybe the NP40 would be close to a 500mW laser. Hard to say, really, as it depends on the frame projected. Any kind of pencil beam or fan look really weak. However, sheets cones, tunnels look pretty good. The more light you put out the better the effect. I even think pangolin may want to make the beam width go higher than 5 pixels because the beam size at aperture is going to be the same anyway. It seems the thicker the lines the brighter the tunnel effects look. I don't really care how thick the lines are on the wall.

I can see all kinds of really cool effects using video projectors. Next, I will try to get my hands on a my buddies 15K christie!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02714.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	816.7 KB 
ID:	41078
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02716.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	725.0 KB 
ID:	41079

So the higher contact was better correct? Any test around 7000 to 1 or 5000 to 1 ?

I think you need something like 200,000:1 to 350,000:1
    Quote Originally Posted by b52productions View Post
    So the higher contact was better correct? Any test around 7000 to 1 or 5000 to 1 ?