Thread: ...To the Goldenstar!!!

Default ...To the Goldenstar!!!

Welp, I finally decided to take the plunge... After Winni was nice enough to answer the myriad of questions I threw at here, I am grabbing this one here:

http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/sw600...5s4ojpk6d9sro4

Yes, it's two steps up from the most basic of models for this type... That being said, the case IS being outfitted with an SD card slot and digital display! So once I master the system, I will probably try playing around with the other methods of porting animations over...

So hopefully this gets here soon. Shipping was a bit less expensive than what the website quoted me; still no extra charge to put an SD card reader ON the case!
    Time was said to be about a week; they're using DHL which means I have to have it sent to my work (all I have is a P.O. Box).

All in all, around $315... It was worth it to me to spend a few more dollars and get a few grades up in laser power!!

ILDA projectors with 638 red don't get much cheaper. Please do share photos of the internals and projected ILDA test pattern when you receive this. Also keen to know beam size and divergence.
    This space for rent.

I think you'll be happy with that one. In your budget range there aren't too many good options, but I think this is one of the better ones. Definitely should be a big step up from a Spencer's toy laser.

And if down the road you do want the added flexibility of computer control, the option is there. Same with faster scanners or higher powered and/or analog laser modules, the case is big enough and a standard design that upgrading a bit down the road is a viable option. And standard / available parts in the event you ever need to repair something out of warranty.

Also keen to know beam size and divergence.
    To my knowledge there's not much for beam correction in the lower cost 638's, but for bedroom use with short throw distances, shouldn't be too bad. Definitely a much brighter red than the usual 658nm found in lower cost projectors, so imo very much a worthwhile compromise. A set of cylindrical lenses can generally be added with relative ease if looking to tighten up that red down the road. (By contrast can't do anything to improve the brightness of 658nm other than to replace it...)

To the OP, in looking at the models, the 600b by comparison would have a tighter red just as it appears to be using one of the 120mW 638nm diodes (single mode ?) but less balanced and overall brightness due to the smaller green and overpowered blue. So it's a matter of figuring out the best compromise for your needs. For smaller distances the 300mW red shouldn't be too fat, but if so there are ways to improve it with a pair of cylindrical lenses placed in front of the output of the red module. And 300mW of red will definitely help with the colour balance. So with such a tight budget it's always going to be a matter of finding the best compromise for your needs. If graphics are more your thing, consider the lower powered tighter beam, or if you like beam shows, the higher powered red will better suit you. If you don't mind tinkering a bit and spending another $50 down the road you can tighten up the higher powered red and get the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by m0f; 11-12-2013 at 21:26.

Yeah, actually, a post is COMING about the Spencer mark 3... Yes, I said it, THREE... MAJOR differences, and this projector was apparently assembled in December of 2012... Weird differences, one of the things very noticeable is that the SD slot will take EVERY card I've thrown at it so far; this includes two PNY 2gig cards, a 2g Sandisk MICRO SD in an SD card adapter, and even some 4gig Emtec's! What's surprising is the way this projector handles multiple files in a program list; there seems to be some glitches when going from .ild file to .ild file! I HAVE found a workaround for this, but it's not as smooth sailing as it should be. Colors are awesome however... More on that later...

Beam size and divergence... Have NO idea how to measure either, remember I'm kinda new at all this. I just hope this new laser can handle ild format 0 files, if not we're off to do some convertin'! I'm the kinda guy that kinda goes middle of the road on things i buy: I'm not gonna buy the cheapest thing available but I definitely can't always afford top shelf... So I usually go in the middle... Projectors and I have had a rocky relationship; this is my 4th Spencer projector in about a year, but the new one's holding up fine (quirks and all). I swapped the old one out a few days ago; wish I hadn't now. The older model is definitely handling files better; I think the projector builders figured out people were utilizing the SD card reader for more than it was intended; they put the sticker RIGHT over one of the screws on the back cover! I think someone said the Spencer laser barely hit what was it 8, 10 or 12k? 20K will probably be enough for now. Computer control, I'm going to have to figure all that out later, as well as what kind of software I will need to synch the laser up to the computer (probably some of these "freeware" proggies I have will have some kinda laser controller access)... Chomping at the bit for it to get here!!

Anyone else own a laser from Goldenstar? Just curious what and how they are for some of you...