Thread: Laserwave 500 mW OEM V-S custom

Default Laserwave 500 mW OEM V-S custom

Here is my mini review of the custom OEM V-S I just received from Laserwave. This module was custom made with a reduced deck to provide a beam height of 24.8mm to match my blue and red modules, and to replace the failed 300mW MGL from CNI.

Preface

I purchased full quoted price for this module and I am not paid to write this review. As with my professional product reviews, this review is non-biased and presents the facts as I observe them. I do not take any measured to deliberately skew opinions or to promote/degrade the supplier in any way, I simply tell it like it is. I hope this review is received by Laserwave as constructive and would hope they use this feedback to improve their products.

Review start

BEWARE: The supplied users manual contains a wiring error in the photo on page 5, the + and - supply inputs are shown reversed. I have informed Laserwave of this error and I would expect this to be corrected immediately. The driver connector block is correctly marked "+5V" and "GND" and the pre-fitted input wires are also correctly fitted, red for +v and black for GND. Another manual error is the photo on page 4, it shows the red TTL- input as TTL+...

Negotiation, ordering and payment all straight forward, both Bridge and Eric are very easy to deal with and in fact they went out of their way to meet my requirements and to also expedite shipping, which took just 4 days from Beijing to Perth. 5/5 thumbs up.

The module was well packed and suffered no damage during transport.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	As packed.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	40950

The laser module and driver are provided pre-wired with connections via screw blocks and a 2 pin removable header. The driver provides inputs for both Analog and TTL modulation and short connector looms are provided for both, using very flexible silicon insulated wires.

Name:	Module and PSU.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	40951

The driver is mounted to an anodised aluminum heatsink block via M3 spacers. Quality appears ok, although the 3 x thru-hole power resistors are fitted kinda roughly at angles and the hand soldering could be better. A pair of TO-220 transistors (or FETs?) are mounted to the PCB underside and little provision for thermal expansion has been provided. Ideally the transistor legs should provide a Z or S fold to allow for some thermal expansion, or better still be soft wired using flexible wires with heatshrink protection over the joints. Both transistors are isolated from the mounting block.

Name:	Driver top.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	40952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver side.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	40953

The driver bottom side finish is quite good, being very smooth and flat (it's a pity the laser module did not get similar attention...), although a small amount of burring is present around the open ended mounting slots. Laserwave should really ensure all edges are debured BEFORE anodising.

Name:	Driver bottom.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	40954

The bottom surface of the laser module is a big disappointment. The finish is not only full of machining marks but also scratches that have occurred after machining. The open ended mounting slots each present with large burs that will interfere with the mating surface and I must address this before fitting. Checking with a known straight edge, the deck is at least flat from what I can tell, it just looks a mess and will benefit from a gentle application of elbow grease with fine wet/dry paper over a glass plate to tidy things up and ensure a more amicable thermal mating with the host optical board. Laserwave - I am calling you out on to the carpet here for a stern talking to! This aspect of your product has huge potential for improvement!

Name:	Module bottom.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	40955

The module is glued together and I must say the application of glue is, well, agricultural! Not only that the top of the module is covered in this glue on the top cover (finger printed) however the camera can't really make this out. From an appearance and presentation perspective, this looks very poor.

Name:	Module side.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	40956

Another disappointing aspect to this design is the cable exit position, which is directly adjacent to the right rear mounting slot. I will be forced to push the wiring aside in order to install this mounting bolt and I am sure Laswerwave could reposition the wiring exit towards the center of the rear, closer to the thermistor wiring...

Name:	Module back.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	40957

Power Test

I tested this unit using my old power meter (not calibrated, although I do know it's within 10% accuracy) to get an idea of output power and stability. The module and driver are not bolted to a heatsink, rather they are stood off the bench with small wooden dowels and thermal sensors attached to both. The LPM head was shrouded with a box to ensure no errors are introduced due to my home ducted air conditioning. The module was powered from a LAB supply set to 5.00V, modulation was 5V TTL and a low speed 80mm fan was positioned to cool both module and driver.

Name:	Test Setup.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	40959

LPM power, module temperature and driver temperature are logged, although I removed driver temperature from the graph in the interest of clarity.

Name:	As Shipped Test Results.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	40958

Output power was pretty impressive from the very start and I note that stability in the first 30 minutes was not as good as it was for the final hour. Output swung by +/-50mW in the first 10-15 minutes and finally settled to a stable average of 699mW. The following averages were recorded in the final 5, 10 and 20 minutes of the test:

5 minute average: 703mW
    10 minute average: 702mW
    20 minute average: 697mW

Not bad for a module ordered as 500mW. Unfortunately I do not have access to "decent" IR filters at present, otherwise I would have also checked power levels with a filter fitted to check for IR present at the aperture.

The module peaked at 745mW within the first 10 minutes of operation. Output remained fairly stable with a module base temperature ranging from 25c through to 33c, so I am happy with the thermal capability of this design. As I regulate my projector base plate at 27c I do not expect any issues.

At full CW the module current consumption @ 5.00V started at 2 amps, and following 1.5 hours continuous use peaked at 2.5 amps.

I will check beam profile, size and divergence next, stay tuned for part two of my review, which will include modulation characteristics, my summary and conclusions.
    Last edited by dnar; 11-20-2013 at 23:51.
    This space for rent.

Beam specs

Published specs are beam at aperture <3mm, divergence full angle <1.5mrad.

The following shots are taken through my 532nm safety goggles, in an effort to see the beam clearly (I could not turn down the power via analog modulation, for reasons that I will cover below). The ruler glow is due to this being an FR4 fibreglass PCB ruler.

Measured beam at aperture measures 2.5 to 3mm. Lets call it 3mm.

Name:	Beam at Aperture.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	40960

At 14 meters it's 6mm and nice and round TEM00.

Name:	Beam at 14M.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	40961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beam at 14M Profile.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	40962

Divergence = 0.214 mrad. Nice...

Modulation - TTL

With no modulation signals connected, the laser lases... Not ideal, but common with Chinese lasers.

TTL modulation is active positive, that is 0V = no output, 5V = output.

Modulation - Analog
    Ok, so initially analog modulation was not working for me, then thanks to Dave helping out on Facebook IM he pointed out the hidden un-documented switch that selects Analog or TTL modulation.... Thanks Dave I owe you another beer. Laserwave, your manual does not mention this hidden switch and may I suggest you pay me to write you a decent manual!!!!

Name:	Modulation Setup.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	40963

Modulation looks pretty good on the bench, I'll wait until this module is fitted to a projector and report back with the findings later. I had to tweak the DZ colour correction board heavily with my old CNI MGL-III-532 module, so I am hoping this will perform much better.

Name:	Modulation Graph.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	40964

Summary and Closing Comments

Overall I can't complain about the service or the performance of this module. I think it represents very good value for money and bang for buck.

The poor (read incomplete and erroneous) users manual really needs to be re-written.

A number of finish issues let this module down, and these are trivial issues that can be corrected in production for practically no costs. The module wiring needs to be moved also, and again this should not incur any additional cost. I leave my final performance review to later once I have run this module in a projector.

Overall, good value, good performance, let down by poor attention to detail in the execution.
    Last edited by dnar; 11-21-2013 at 02:57.
    This space for rent.

Hi Dnar,
    Thanks for your reviews.
    Sorry for our Manual, you had give us 3 point of our manual wrong writing, great thanks, I owe you many beer, we will rewrite it soon.
    waiting for your projector pictures and review.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Hi Bridge,

Thanks, I will enjoy beer with you next time I am in China, around end Jan, early-Feb.

I spent the day replacing the old CNI with the Laserwave, required drilling and tapping and while at it I moved the GM20 shutter driver and chassis fan controller boards and neatened up the wiring. I also removed the mains switching via Stanwax ILDA board, as all modules have time delay start and the shutter offers sufficient protection without need to also shutdown the laser PSU.

Spent the night improving my beam corrected 445nm, and replaced the anamorphic optics with new ones received months ago (I chipped one of the originals by clamping it down too tight). Also re-twigged the knife edged red module and managed much tighter and brighter beam profile. Line up all modules, full rework through the colour balance and DZ colour correction board (this whole thing took all day and night!).

All I can say about the result is wow. The Laserwave beam is tight, and a great match with the tight Optnext 638nm pair, the corrected 445nm is now the "problem child" yet not too bad. White is white! Nice crisp white lines and beams. Modulation of this LW 532nm is frikin awesome, much much better than the CNI. No more "pink" whites from the start, the LW kicks in hard from cold start and maintains great stability and modulation.

A few late night pics of the reworked projector:

Name:	DSC01299.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	40967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01300.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	40968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01302.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	40969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01303.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	40970

Before anyone asks, the GM20 actuator arm is Dave's custom light weight arm.

No projected image shots, I am stuffed for the night. If you want to see this in real life, bring a beer.

I would recommend one of these modules to anyone looking for good performance at a reasonable price point. Hopefully LW will improve the machining and other aspects I have noted, but even as is these are workable and just require a tidyup with file and fine wet/dry paper.
    Last edited by dnar; 11-22-2013 at 07:12.
    This space for rent.

Hi Dnar,
    I am surprise you still working, I thought your place should be around 3:00 PM.
    Great, I wish meeting you in real world soon, Jan or Feb, look like soon, will you be Beijing?
    Aha, one more beer, I really want to see your projector in real life.
    Yes, thanks for all of your kindly advise, we will keeping in mind and wish do better in future.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    Hi Dnar,
    I am surprise you still working, I thought your place should be around 3:00 PM.
    Great, I wish meeting you in real world soon, Jan or Feb, look like soon, will you be Beijing?
    Aha, one more beer, I really want to see your projector in real life.
    Yes, thanks for all of your kindly advise, we will keeping in mind and wish do better in future.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects.

I may well visit Beijing, I will be working in Ningbo next year, 2 weeks on, 2 off back in Australia until at least July.

Once I get back on my feet financially, I will be seeking more modules to upgrade my satellite projectors and maybe build more (the laser disease has a grip again).

If we do finally arrange an Australian LEM, you should come down to attend. We will look after you and make sure your well fed and injected with coherent joy. Perhaps you can visit Perth too, and see one of my shows. I have a show next Tuesday titled "NoizeMaschin!" featuring my beam shows (titled "Laser of Doom by 0ptic Nerve") and also my laser harp is making it's first public appearance in this show, we will be triggering visuals, sparks, high voltage effects etc. via the harp. Total chaos and mayhem. And if I can get things tested and sussed out this weekend I will also be using the Beyond "EMUlaser" in this show with a 4500 lumen projector.
    Last edited by dnar; 11-22-2013 at 07:55.
    This space for rent.

Great review, Dnar. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the emulaser. What pj did you pick up for the job? Will you be using it solely for below the horizon crowd-scanning? Really interested in your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects.

I may well visit Beijing, I will be working in Ningbo next year, 2 weeks on, 2 off back in Australia until at least July.

Once I get back on my feet financially, I will be seeking more modules to upgrade my satellite projectors and maybe build more (the laser disease has a grip again).

If we do finally arrange an Australian LEM, you should come down to attend. We will look after you and make sure your well fed and injected with coherent joy. Perhaps you can visit Perth too, and see one of my shows. I have a show next Tuesday titled "NoizeMaschin!" featuring my beam shows (titled "Laser of Doom by 0ptic Nerve") and also my laser harp is making it's first public appearance in this show, we will be triggering visuals, sparks, high voltage effects etc. via the harp. Total chaos and mayhem. And if I can get things tested and sussed out this weekend I will also be using the Beyond "EMUlaser" in this show with a 4500 lumen projector.
    Stealing this for my signature... hahah

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    Great review, Dnar. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the emulaser. What pj did you pick up for the job? Will you be using it solely for below the horizon crowd-scanning? Really interested in your findings.
    Not sure, I am using something the venue scored recently, it's a Barco. Yet to see it, yet to play with EMUlaser.
    This space for rent.