Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Next FLEM on March 1st, 2014

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Regrettably "Duh" is only 5 characters so, I'm forced to type the rest of the sentance.

OK, so we've got Brad for sure. Also, Mark (Imagelight) has his ticket booked. Anyone else from the northeast?

DZ will be there for sure, and Aaron (Allthatwhichis) said he would be able to come as well. I've also contacted Fred (Astroguy), and he is pretty sure he can make it.

Countfunkula said he would be able to come, and so did Lazerjock. (BTW, I'll be bringing my new quad-copter with first-person video on the controller so we can play with that!)

Haven't heard anything from Frank (Flecom) yet... Displaser was a "maybe" the last time I checked. Also, Jeff (RGB-gas) was thinking of attending, but he couldn't be sure until we got closer.

DJMatt wants to come, but he may not be able to get the time off from work. Likewise, JD3 has to check his schedule to see if he can make it.

Anyone else thinking about making the trip? It's going to be a great time, I promise!

Adam

Looking forward to it!

Airfare looks fairly cheap. I'm tossing around the idea as I've needed a reason to go back home again, plus I've got family up in Panama City.

So with setup aside, this is a one-day event, right? If there was a second, or even third day, I'd undoubtedly be in.

Well, if I'd be able to meet with someone for a ride from airport to event center, then surely I'd be in for the trip.

Will toss this around for a day or two before I solidify a decision.

On Friday we normally start setting up around 4 PM. Usually by 6:30 or so we're all done, so we go out for dinner. Then we come back to the venue and geek out all night (usually til at least midnight.) Saturday we start at 9 in the morning and run til midnight again. So it's pretty close to a 2 day event. (OK, day and a half anyway.)

Also, given the small size of the venue, everything is happening in the same place, so it's not like SELEM where you can miss something if you're not in the right place when it happens. Plus because it's small, it takes a lot less time to set things up and tear them down.

Check out some of the videos on Youtube (search for "FLEM Laser") from past events to get an idea as to what I mean.

Where would you be flying in from? Brad and Marc will be coming in from Delaware. They're actually planning to arrive a day early so they can check out Universal Studios... Might want to hook up with them. (I might be able to join them at Universal, actually. I haven't been there in about 4 years or so, and I could definitely go for a couple rides...)

Adam

PS: I called Frank last night, and he's pretty sure he can make it.
    Last edited by buffo; 12-27-2013 at 04:41.

looked at my schedule for Feb and I am free that weekend... have the fiddy but no fluid yet... should order some...

Frank: If you want to travel light, Countfunkula has a neutron hazer he was planning to bring, and he's local (Orlando). I know you'll be loaded down with your large projector and the two mobolaser rigs...

Your call dude.

Adam

PS: Did you get my text this morning with my address? (Forgot to send it last night - sorry.)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    They're actually planning to arrive a day early so they can check out Universal Studios... Might want to hook up with them. (I might be able to join them at Universal, actually. I haven't been there in about 4 years or so, and I could definitely go for a couple rides...)
    That would be cool! I don't know that Mark is going to do that as he's looking to visit family in the area but my plan is Disney on Thursday night for dinner at The Brown Derby then Fantasmic! Folllowed by hanging out at Downtown Disney until the wee hours. Then drive to a hotel/motel near Universal and plan to be on their doorstep when they open on Friday and head straight for the "World of Harry Potter" deal. I anticipate heading to Tavares by about 2-2:30pm.

~B

I don't suppose there's anyone that can bring a rotary phase converter?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    my plan is Disney on Thursday night for dinner at The Brown Derby then Fantasmic!
    I saw the Fantasmic show at the Disney Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney MGM Studios) back in 2008. It was OK I guess, but I was expecting more. I enjoyed the Blue Man Group show (across from the City Walk near Universal Studios) a lot more though.

Then drive to a hotel/motel near Universal and plan to be on their doorstep when they open on Friday and head straight for the "World of Harry Potter" deal.
    Most of the Harry Potter stuff is just old attractions from part of the old "Lost Continent" theme area. When Harry Potter got really popular, they re-themed all the medieval stuff to be like Harry Potter and created a new area. The main attraction (the old Dueling Dragons twin-coaster) was renamed as the "Dragon Challenge". Then, after a few high-profile accidents involving loose objects from passengers on one train hitting passengers on the other train, they stopped the practice of launching the two trains together so they would "duel" by approaching very closely to each other.

The other Harry Potter coaster is also a re-themed ride. They call it the Flight of the Hippogriff now, but it used to be the Ride of the unicorn, or something. It was a pretty tame coaster (not unlike a mine-train coaster), but it had some cool scenery and some close encounters with trees and bushes and stuff.

The only new item is the Hogwarts Castle, which has a bunch of anamatronic stuff in it, plus several shops from the movie and some props and other dodads. I haven't seen it since they opened with the Harry Potter theme, but I hear they did a good job with the theme...

The old Jurassic Park stuff from the Lost Continent is still there, but it's now a separate area from the Harry Potter Wizarding world. Truthfully though, none of the Jurassic Park rides were worth a damned anyway. The Pteradon flyer was a total waste, and the line moves at a snails pace. The River Adventure was OK, but it's your typical boat ride with anamatronic dinosaurs...

All that being said, if you go to Universal Studio's Island of Adventure, once you're finished checking out the Harry Potter stuff you absolutely MUST ride the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. It's located on the Marvel Superhero island, and it's a DAMNED cool coaster. You'll love it. Also, the Spider-man ride is pretty good, and the Doctor Doom freefall tower is always a fun ride. The line moves pretty quick too.

I anticipate heading to Tavares by about 2-2:30pm.
    You're going to have to haul ass through the park if you want to hit everything and still make it to Tavares by 2:30. It's a solid hour, and maybe 1:15, from Universal to Tavares.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I don't suppose there's anyone that can bring a rotary phase converter?
    Matt has one, but as it weighs around 400 lbs I don't know that he'd be willing to bring it, even assuming he can make it.

Adam