Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, Looks like I got booted on LPF.

Yeah that all started when members, who will not be named here, but are in this thread, started pulling members off LPF to go to PhotonForums. Which was just basically a bitch box to talk about people, including me, from LPF. Ironically Lasersbee, and I were the first people asked by the admin to help mod it, but we turned it down. The place was a joke, and doomed to fail. I think they had maybe 10 active members, LOL. Chris only made the other forum to compete with LPF because he didnt like they way it was run. Avery caught members "recruiting" people off his forum to join PF, so he banned mentioning other forums on LPF. The only complaint about PL I ever heard was that a lot of you guys put down LPF as a joke. No one ever had anything bad to say about PL, except Pat (EF).

Edit: Steve I looked at your account and it doesnt say you're banned. What kind of Log In message are you getting?
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 12-06-2013 at 02:21.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I will not feed the troll.

You're right Len, the first sentence was a poke at you, I'm sorry, but the rest was true.

Len I used to like you. You were quiet, honest, and helpful. Then over time you started to put up this persona to heighten your character in the laser cyber world. And that just turns me off. A good example is you said a few times here that you where a Mod on a laser forum. In reality that position over there was a joke. Jerry, and I both turned it down because we knew the reality of the job, which was basically a spam janitor for a sinking forum. Thats not much to brag about Len.

I still think you're a good man, but I cant pretend to like the persona you emulate. I like real people. I think you should always be proud of who you are, and not change that for anyone. You go waaaay out of your way to get the crowd to like you. Which is silly, because people already liked the genuine you. You didnt have to change anything.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Most people here don't give a furry rat's behind about the history of LPF and this is going pretty far off topic, but the restriction on advertising for other forums is older than that

It goes all the way back to the early split between Ave and the mods he had before "The Wild West Days"
    It began with the Laser Enthusiasts forum
    The technology for filtering and catching references has just gotten better

In any event, the basic reason for this thread was some sort of glitch and a misunderstanding of that glitch

Steve, if anything "weird" happens again, just PM or email me
    You are in the same group with Sam.
    I would kick an arse for you as well

Peace,
    dave

Sorry Dave, I thought the topic was LPF in general. People had other questions. It is an open discussion.

You're right it does go back to LE, when he blocked the web address, and banned the mods. But Avery didnt start banning people again for posting links to other laser sites till Chris' site went up. http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/le...ned-75465.html There wasnt a no zero tolerance till that crap hit the fan. Before that you could post any links except LE without worrying about getting banned.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Sorry Dave, I thought the topic was LPF in general. People had other questions. It is an open discussion.

You're right it does go back to LE, when he blocked the web address, and banned the mods. But Avery didnt start banning people again for posting links to other laser sites till Chris' site went up. http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/le...ned-75465.html There wasnt a no zero tolerance till that crap hit the fan. Before that you could post any links except LE without worrying about getting banned.
    No worries. I just treat this forum a bit more "professionally" than I do LPF

Peace,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by daguin View Post
    No worries. I just treat this forum a bit more "professionally" than I do LPF

Peace,
    dave

Perhaps if you treated that place as professionally, the destructive (but obviously entertaining) trolling "bait & ban" policy that causes all the drama there wouldn't have happened, and serious minded people in the industry wouldn't have such a short fuse regarding the place.

I'll second that. I've been thinking about that a bit. If LPF let people post PL linkage, a lot of the heat would die down. PL gets lots of LPF linkage. It's no big deal. I think some of the best sellers of stuff on PL were active on LPF before they came here. While LPF's tendency to post huge threads dealing with the unwrapping of a neatly packaged commercial laser pointer, the way certain flashlight forums also do it, it's different here. It's not snobbery, it's just that most people here have done that, and nice packages aren't so entertaining after a while. We want to cut to the chase.

Also, keeping the SNR down helps keep the professionals around more. Given that we usually do better if they will share their advice, we need that. LPF will benefit from it too. This is why I was shocked about the notion that they'd ban Sam. That's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Perhaps if you treated that place as professionally, the destructive (but obviously entertaining) trolling "bait & ban" policy that causes all the drama there wouldn't have happened, and serious minded people in the industry wouldn't have such a short fuse regarding the place.
    Different house different rules

If every place was just like PL, there would be no need for PL

Peace,
    dave

**EDIT** Sam was not banned that I can find. This "rumor" arose from a simple statement here that **MAYBE** Steve was mistaken for him and that Sam had made some negative comments about pointers

You have to remember that the majority of new comers to LPF are juveniles with shallow pockets. They see a KlipKay, or a popping balloon video, and then do a search for laser pointer, and LPF comes to the top. You cant expect professionalism to run a basically kindergarten forum. And I say that with love, because there are some great kids who did rise to the level of this forum. Bloompyle/SoulFeast for an example, and there are many others too. LPF is a great place to get younger people into photons. It also provides the reinforcement of laser safety. It is what it is, a stepping stone to being a laser enthusiast. Also a lot of great info comes out of there that has more than benefited this forum. You should be thankful its there.