Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: NELEM II

Eric, don't worry about the food--I've got you covered. Just the fact you are coming with all that equipment is enough! I'm just making sure the infrastructure is up to spec for the show. Last year it was just Eric, Krazer and me and a few MIT students--we spent most of our time trying to find a place to setup. But it was a blast, none the less. I learned an immense amount just by observing Eric's rigs, and I built a new 15 watt rig for christmas last year based on his designs. This year I'm in the process of building my third rig, which I'll have on display at the meet (partially built). Let me just say it is nothing you have ever seen before. It is going to be amazing to have at least 7 high-power lasers arrayed around a terminated venue. So food and drink at 6, laser party as soon as the sun goes down. It will be the start of a great tradition!

What do you think about smoke? I know there will be hazers and fog machines, but this is outside. Would a supply of some smoke based pyrotechnics be a good idea?

About the equipment, I will be bringing one projector with one of the 506 based scanning systems installed. This should be very similar to the systems that Norty has tested.

With this much power, one concern I have is the projector positioning. These are heavy and will need stable support and easy access, but will have to be well above the viewers or in front of them. I assume all the projectors will be in one location? I know LOBO wouldn't do it that way, but keeping all the equipment and more importantly the beams safe ( limited access) will be more complicated with multiple projection points. Maybe you have thought about this.

I have one Jem/Martin 24/7 professional smoke machine with 2 liters of long lasting smoke. I know Andrew is bringing two of his machines. I'll be supplying 2 very large and stable 2X4 and 3/4 inch plywood shelves--the top shelf is 8 feet tall. I can add plywood to the bottom of the shelves with supports to make them more stable, or we can rig them up in an "L" for even more stability. I have a several A-frame ladders, one six foot tall, the other two 10 feet tall, all with sturdy plywood bases on the top for laser rigs. As to the pyro--well now you have come to the right guy. I have on hand 15 pyro racks for the 1.9" mortar shells and two racks for 3" shells--something like this...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_2263.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	43235. Soooo, if you want to bring down some smoke bombs and/or pyro for the finale from the Live Free or Die State, by all means lets do it.

Lets talk about those shelves. If all the projectors are mounted on the top 8' level and the scanning is limited to rise from there this could work. This will probably weigh about 300+ pounds depending on the size of your projectors. Super stable, into the ground or broad footings would be a good idea. I would avoid cables due to the risk of tripping. If the whether is threatening, but not down right raining, some cover/awning/top might be nice to have ready. If the conditions go pear shaped then into the arena, right?

You've seen three of my projectors. I now have 4 of similar size, Andrew's two, 15W greens will probably be smaller and then there are is your one operating projector. I assume the one in progress will remain at ground level. This is one area that it would really help to know who else might be coming and with what. One option might be to build an additional shelf to the same design as the other two when it becomes clearer that it might be needed. Besides the height, what are the other dimensions of the shelf?

There is some construction going on at my place and this gave me a pretty extreme idea. What about renting a lift? I know. I know... but 20+ feet up, super stable (no one is going to knock this over) and easy to access for set up. Just thinking.

Non electrical smoke? I'll handle that.

The shelves are at my hangar. I'll pop over this weekend and take measurements. Andrew came over last night to scope out the venue--he can supply a bunch of equipment, power cabling, hazers, fans and the two lasers. The biggest concerns were having enough amps to drive the hazers and the laser equipment, so I'm going to do even more work this weekend to supply about 100 amps out there. He also liked the fact that the venue is essentially cut off by a heavy forest on all three sides and buildings on the laser side--so with little wind we can get a pretty decent amount of smoke. He will bring all his stuff on Friday and help set up--and it would be great if we had a practice run on Friday night to make sure nothing blows up. I also have to start the fire for the pig roast that afternoon as the pig need to go onto the coals around midnight on Friday. A Lift?? Might as well go on the roof of the indoor--very shallow pitch and 20 feet in the air. Thanks for handling the pyro.

Sounds good about Andrew. Its nice to see someone with considerable experience adding to this. When I mentioned the pyro to my sons...oh dear. Anyway, do you think the detour to see Andrew's Boston location on Friday night will need to be rethought if the set up needs to be worked on that same night?

The roof might actually be a good idea depending on the obvious considerations of weight, access, pitch and not falling off. I only bring up this whole "where to put the lasers" because of the significant power and the need to keep people far enough from the beams that they don't do anything stupid. Andrew's input might be useful here.

Hello,

What are the dates for this event?

Is there room for one more?

ED

Well his gig does not start till ten--I don't know if I can make it as I'm tending the fire--unless my brother-in-law is around. So we have two options for lasers on the roof. They are metal roofs, low pitch, I could easily attach a level shelf to the one on the large building--the smaller building to the left will have horses in it--although for the party they will most likely be moved (they are my wife's horses), so we could set up on top the smaller building. That's only ten feet high and next to the power, although the beams will be slightly off center. Here is a picture on the venue with what I had in mind.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser plan.pdf 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	43256

Dates are June 13,14,15.,with the main event saturday night June 14. Plenty of room for more lasers. If you are in Carver, MA, you are 1.5 hours away.

There is room for many more people and lasers as well, but that's gravy. There will be plenty of power, but as Jeremy Clarkson said "MOOOORRRR POWWWWER!!!". You can't be too rich, too thin or have too much______.

June 13 Afternoon- Sailing on the Charles out of the MIT Yacht Club -Free, but split the cost of the pizza.
    June 13 Evening- Either a visit to the Boston club where Andrew provides the LDJ service or to Rick's to set up the lasers, TBD.
    June 14 Day- More laser set up @ Ricks along with the transition to a barbeque that starts at 6PM
    June 14 Evening- Lasers and...
    June 15 Clean up