Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NELEM II

Default Projector placement option

Regarding projector placement, what if we make a truss "goal post" with 16' of box truss and 2 crank up lifts. I can supply all that stuff. The lifts go from 6' (working height) up to 11' if needed.

Rick, can you place some plywood down on the dirt to make a level/stable base for the lifts to live on and a table or 2 near by for controls?

The only catch is the projectors need to either clamp on with theatrical lighting hardware, or they could be ratchet strapped to sit on top of the truss, if you are OK with that approach.

Either way, Rick has an amazing space to throw this party and it will be really, really, cool!

The truss sounds good. My projectors are VERY heavy and more suited to a bench top and so the shelves might be best for them, but if your greens would work with the truss and as a result you could elevate them to a second level, I think this would enhance the display. The same control table could be used for both. If other projectors arrive (or Rick's) and they might work best from one or the other support that would probably provide the most flexibility.

The site is pretty flat, but I'll provide the plywood floor, the shelves and tables. My projector can certainly go up the truss. Where can I get the clamps?

Rick,
    Can you give an estimate of the distance from the projection location to the termination screen? Also, would the projectors be at the closest point from the screen and the distance increase to the left and to the right and about what kind of angle could the projection occur. I'm trying to zero in on the display. If the aspect ratio is significant then there might be an argument for tiling the screen with multiple projectors as opposed to simple overlap and distortion.

Hi Eric,
    It's 200 feet from the end of the outdoor to the screen which is going to be 90 X 50 feet, or however high I can climb the trees. The outdoor is very flat, so we can essentially place the projectors any which way you want, center, off to one side, ect. The screen is free floating at the bottom and weighted with metal pipe, that way it can float with the wind and not place too much pressure on the wire cable holding it up. If there is no wind, we can angle it any which way, but is going to be dependent on conditions. Just finished bringing out 60 amp service to the site--hope it is enought....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlets.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	43299

The exact dimensions of the termination screen is 85 feet by 40 feet. Still alive after climbing the trees.

40 feet hmmm... It would be good to get it up a few feet higher. Couldn't you climb up there AGAIN and try? Wow! If we set back about 170 feet then that's almost 30 degrees wide. Perfect! We need more lasers.

I got it up to 45 feet on one tree, but I ran out of branches for the other, also I had to clear off a bunch of poison ivy of the second tree. The screen will not be perfectly perpendicular to the arena --its off ~15 degrees in on the right side, so the main projection lasers will have to be centered a little to the left, closer to the smaller barn and closer to the power. Next weekend, I'll make the screen and put it up for a test run with my 15 watt rig.

Eric, I'm completing the screen and getting the shelves ready for the meet this weekend. What are the dimensions of your largest laser rig, so that I can modify the shelves so that it can fit.
    Thanks.

Rick,

First, the weekend after next. Right?

24" square x 9" tall
    24" x 12" x 9" tall times 2
    18" x 12" x 9" tall