Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NELEM II

I have a quest room available, and a lot more room if necessary (big house). Nothing fancy mind you--it is a farm after all. I'm planning on inviting a bunch of friends for pig roast and laser show--so it will be well attended. I'm going to be bringing more power to the site--at least 50 amps so we have plenty of juice to run the show. I also have some tall plywood and 2X4 shelving--very sturdy and 8 feet tall, very much like what Eric has in his loft. I'm also planning to rig a 100X50 foot screen made of tyvek house wrap at the end of the outdoor ring to project onto. I've done this before at other parties, and it work out great. Very simple. Now we have to think of how to daisy chain all the lasers together. I have a 25 foot cable for my laser, and I also have USB extenders and plenty of cat5 cable. I also have lots of extension cables, but more will be appreciated. I also have a professional smoke machine, and I know Andrew will bring a couple of his machines. I have done smoke outside before and it is tricky, prevailing wind and all, but we will play it by ear. Started digging the pig pit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pigpit.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	43127

This is all extremely generous of you Rick. Sounds like a great time. Thank you.

I have a 100' 3 outlet commercial extension cord I can bring. I think its rated 15A+. Its been stolen twice, but I'm sure it will be safe at your house.

Are we bringing girlfriends/wives? Either way is good for me.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I am intending to bring friends. All are technically inclined, but not everyone is a laser person.

Bring everyone! Bring food and sides. The pig will be @150 pounds so there will be plenty to go around.

Just talked with my brother-in-law about the pig--120 pounds confirmed. So that part is taken care of.

Awesome Rick, thank you so much. Do you need us to chip in some $$$?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Well, the pig is 120 lbs, split down the middle with the head on-@3 bucks a pound. It will be delivered fresh, which is great as I don't have a large enough refrigerator to defrost it. I'm going to need a bunch of ice, paper goods and such and I'm getting at least one keg of beer from Newburyport brewing. I'm going to scrounge up some folding tables, but I have very few chairs, so people will have to eat and party standing up. I started putting in the extra electric line to provide 60 amp service to the site. That will be done this weekend, and then I'll move on to the screen--at least 90 X 30 foot--dependant on how high I can climb the trees. I did make a flyer, which I emailed to friends and family. Feel free to pass it on to other laser people in the area who might want to attend who do not regularly visit this site.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laserparty.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	951.4 KB 
ID:	43206

Good to know about the chairs. We can bring our camping chairs. I'm sure others have them too. If they dont you can buy cheap ones at Walfart for under $10. They always come in handy.

We dont drink so I'll bring a couple of cases of soda/water, and a cooler.

I wish we new the number of people coming. I dont know the amount of side dish food to cook. I guess if everyone brought 2 sides there will be enough to go around. I'm thinking of making a crock of either baked beans, or chili, and some brownies. Should I bring some paper bowls, and spoons? I'll bring some BBQ sauce too. If others are bringing food it would be a good idea to post what your making so we can have a variety without having too much of one thing.

I'll pass the flyer around.

I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute much to the food etc. My transportation will be loaded with people and projectors and equipment. The number of people attending would help a lot and based on the lack of postings here, I expect that there will not be a meaningful # from this forum. That's OK, so let's see; 4-5 of mine, Tech with one or two, Rick with what, say 5-6? Andrew with 2-4. So, maybe 20 if a couple of others show up. That will work even if it is a little low.

This is not an attempt to imitate SELEM. When MIT can be mixed in it is exciting to the technically inclined in a unique way. The outdoor activities including the sailing and the barbeque are refreshing and can attract a different audience. The outdoor venue with these powerful (terminated) lasers will be unusual as well. I know that if I was aware of this opportunity several years ago I would have jumped at the chance. So We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute much to the food etc.
    Pick up a couple of apple pies from your local store. You dont need to bring coolers of food. A single market bag can fit anywhere.

This is going to be great. I'm sure it will be the number 2 highlight of my year. Roast pig, keg beer, good people, and a laser light show that could dwarf what most cities put on for celebrations. Hell ya! I didnt even know they had one last year. I've been waiting for this opportunity for almost 5 years.

Do you have some activities Rick, like horse shoes? (Pun intended)

I know the laser show starts at 9. What time are you expecting people to show up?