Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ChamSys MIDI/DMX ---> LSX/EasyLaseII?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Let me have a look. I have a clone of the Enttec Pro (the DMX King) so I guess I could just install MagicQ and see if I can get it to talk to LSX. Who knows, maybe I like it more than Freestyler!

I've been messing around here; these menus seem relevant -- http://i.imgur.com/U1tNtVg.jpg
    Just in case you needed MagicQ tuts: http://www.chamsys.co.uk/tutorial

upvote for Google Drive folder, hope this happens.
    SMPTE, got it.

If you just want to control your DAC via Chamsys DMX then create a fixture profile for it (if there isn't one already, or send Chamsys the DMX chart and ask them to make it). There is already one for the Moncha.NET card in the current hed file.
    If LSX can be set up to look like a DMX device, and assigned an address, then you can technically plug your Chamsys DMX output into your computer and have it run like any other fixture, even if the DAC itself doesn't support DMX directly.
    Chamsys only supports midi through their own dedicated midi interface (which also does SMPTE, its not only timecode... ), so to get midi out of MagicQ, you will need their interface.

However, I am curious why you want to use a lighting desk, which will offer limited functionality as far as control is concerned, to control software such as LSX?
    If you just want some knobs and faders to map to LSX to give some hands on control, then it will be far cheaper to just buy a midi interface (have you checked the price of the Chamsys midi box??) such as the Novation Remote Zero and plug that into LSX separately.
    Chamsys midi output from cues is not all that straightforward, and limited in functionality, and you might take a while writing the correct midi string code to achieve the desired results.

@Colouredmirrorball - as of MagicQ v1.5.4.0 Chamsys removed support for any DMX device that isn't the Enttec pro, MagicDMX or one of their own wings. I have archived versions of MagicQ for PC, but you need to be aware that you'll be stuck in time a bit.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Hmmm... not so interesting for me then. I think I'm going to remove it since I don't like the user interface and Freestyler does everything I want anyway. It could be my aging laptop, but it appears much slower than Freestyler and LSX. Looks like it's really designed for their consoles and not so much for usage on a computer.

If it's true what norty says... the search ends here.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    If you just want to control your DAC via Chamsys DMX then create a fixture profile for it (if there isn't one already, or send Chamsys the DMX chart and ask them to make it). There is already one for the Moncha.NET card in the current hed file.
    If LSX can be set up to look like a DMX device, and assigned an address, then you can technically plug your Chamsys DMX output into your computer and have it run like any other fixture, even if the DAC itself doesn't support DMX directly.
    Chamsys only supports midi through their own dedicated midi interface (which also does SMPTE, its not only timecode... ), so to get midi out of MagicQ, you will need their interface.

However, I am curious why you want to use a lighting desk, which will offer limited functionality as far as control is concerned, to control software such as LSX?
    If you just want some knobs and faders to map to LSX to give some hands on control, then it will be far cheaper to just buy a midi interface (have you checked the price of the Chamsys midi box??) such as the Novation Remote Zero and plug that into LSX separately.
    Chamsys midi output from cues is not all that straightforward, and limited in functionality, and you might take a while writing the correct midi string code to achieve the desired results.

@Colouredmirrorball - as of MagicQ v1.5.4.0 Chamsys removed support for any DMX device that isn't the Enttec pro, MagicDMX or one of their own wings. I have archived versions of MagicQ for PC, but you need to be aware that you'll be stuck in time a bit.

yeah the Chamsys unit arrived faster than it took me to finish building the rest of the laser system. I'm just now trying to make a reasonable choice while this beautiful piece of hardware stares at me.
    would this be their own dedicated midi interface?: http://www.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx

thanks, do you have any recommendations for midi interfaces besides the Novation? I might have to go through the buy/sell/trade threads..

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Hmmm... not so interesting for me then. I think I'm going to remove it since I don't like the user interface and Freestyler does everything I want anyway. It could be my aging laptop, but it appears much slower than Freestyler and LSX. Looks like it's really designed for their consoles and not so much for usage on a computer.

If it's true what norty says... the search ends here.
    thanks for your valiant efforts!

Chamsys' midi interface is the one you linked to in post #9
    MagicDMX is a USB to DMX interface, but if you have a wing already, you don't need one. Essentially, everyone was using Enttec interfaces, so Chamsys produced a slightly cheaper version (~£70) or a 5 hour time limited version (~£12) and then closed support for the non-Pro interfaces like the Enttec OpenDMX devices. Given that they give away for free a very well featured desk, I don't hold it against them.

I think you need to decide what you need from a midi interface, then buy the appropriate one. Novations are popular because of the mix of faders and knobs. APC style controllers are popular for cue launching style of control. I'm not sure what LSX live controls are like, but a whole load of faders and rotary knobs are never going to be out of place.

@colouredmirrorball - MagicQ will run on very lightweight hardware if you're not using the media server or visualiser. I use a single core Atom micro PC to run mine, which is fixed to the back of one of my touchscreens.
    you are right though, that it is a lighting console that happens to run on a computer, rather than being a dedicated bit of computer software. this is why it doesn't really come into its own unless to add tactile devices like touch screens and wings to it. As far as lighting desks go, it is still a massively cheap way to get a decent desk, without spending decent desk money. My whole setup with PC wing, 2x 15" touchscreens and PC cost about £1200. but its not for everyone, especially if you are expecting a traditional Windows/OSX style program.
    Frikkin Lasers

Yeah I have a lot of crap open at the moment. My processor can handle it without problem but I don't have a lot of RAM.

Nnasire: if you really only want to control the laser, then your best bet is indeed to get rid of your controller and get a dedicated MIDI/OSC controller instead. The Novation Zero, APC40 and OhmRGB are great choices. I use a Behringer BCF2000 but that was more of a budget controller. Works fine though, just feels a bit cheap :P And it's all knobs, you need to select cues on the screen. Others had good luck using an iPad to select cues over OSC, maybe that's a good option too? But I agree, lots of knobs and faders are a plus.
    The last option is if there is some way to send DMX data to another program that can translate it to MIDI or OSC and send it to LSX. Maybe that's even possible in Processing... but that would involve a bit too much work :P

Thanks norty303, for all your input. Saved me about 2 days worth of reading.
    I just want to make sure we're not going to have to go through this process again.. hopefully LSX will recognize these?
    http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_alias8.php
    http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpd26#overview
    leaning towards the Alias8..

Looking forward to sharing my shows!

They should work fine...

then your best bet is indeed to get rid of your controller
    Why? I'm guessing he still needs to control his lights somehow, and I can't think of many better ways of doing it than with what he already owns.
    Frikkin Lasers