Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobolazer (lil g beam) question

Default Mobolazer (lil g beam) question

Just a quick question.

On the lil G beam, should the factory 5mw green laser stay on the entire time -- and the mirrors deflect it, or does the cpu modulate the laser when the mirrors are in position?

From the manual flecom posted I assume it's 8 channels and no extra channel for laser control?

---[rambling below]---------------------------------

I'm hacking on two units. One has no laser output, and I figured out what was wrong with actuators (ground lead soldered across them all lifted off of one, bad solder job from factory.)

Second unit has slight hint of green laser output but the DMX RX light doesn't come on. I dropped a 2nd level IC on top of the first but still no go, scope is in storage so I can't see if it's being held high/low on output. Will socket it next time I bust out the Hakko.

So curious what the operation is. Going to modify them quite a bit.

Both of mine have scrubbed chips, and one of them has set screws for X axis on turrets and 2nd one doesn't. I like the set screws.

-----[ trade offer below ]-------------

I also got a SC-100 scan controller analog modulation jibbie jank (but no scan head.) Up for trades, especially for 4 single mirror turrets or something.

-----[ end of trade offer ]-------------

-----[ potentially useful info for others below]----------

Chips in case someone hits one with scrubbed ICs:
    U7 - SN74HCT245N
    U2 - SN74HCT773N
    U6 - CD4040BE
    U5 - 74LS245N
    U1 - SN75719 (DMX-512 level converter)
    U3 - TEMIC P-098C31-16 (CPU)

Also there is a masked rom for program storage and some IC for laser diode current limiting or whatever.

Good to see I'm not the only one who likes these old Mobolazers!

The green diode stays on all the time and the actuators pick off the beam to direct it to the corresponding output turret. The only time the diode is not on is when the TTL modulation input is used with the GScan head. Even if the DMX signal was not present/not working, the LM317T regulator should be powered up whenever the g-beam is powered, and so it provide current to the diode even without the DMX light.

I posted a schematic I drew of the RG Beam about a year ago with chip #s and lots of details. The RG beam is almost identical to the G beam just with a few extras added, so the schematic should help you out. If you can't find it searching PL, let me know and I'll dig up a copy to send to you.

The RG beam has channels for control of both the red & green lasers, but the g-beam does not. The G-beam only decodes 8 dmx channels, but the rg beam decodes 10 or 12 channels.

I would think the diode is shot if it emits some dim light, or check the current adjust potentiometer near the Lm317 regulator.

Good luck getting it up and running. Post some pictures and updates!
    Eric in New Orleans

Hey thanks for the info!

Unit #1 works minus laser, that's okay I plan to shove 600mw+ blue into both of them.

Unit #2, the DMX512 data activity LED never comes on (the emission LED does.) I replaced the line driver chip that is first in line to get nuked when someone plugs it into a PA system, but still no activity. Will have to find logic probe or oscope probe and see if there is activity on the data/address bus between the CPU and ROM chip.

There is a lot of flux and stuff around on the board. I think it might of been in a flooded building but not wet, smells a bit mildewy.

I kind of want to put a keyswitch on the unit, when it's changed to "off" there is a ~4mw aiming diode. When it's on it's high powered diode. This way it's possible to do full setup then turn it over to high power. That means taking a power hit with a dichro but oh well.

Old thread but...Did you ever get #2 working? What was wrong with the DMX? Did it work in standalone mode playing the built-in chases w/o DMX?

I like your idea for the aiming diode and might try to implement in my 1W "B-Beams" but I don't know if I can fit the extra stuff. It's pretty cramped with the 1W 445, heatsink and extra cooling fan I installed.

Any pics of your build?
    Eric in New Orleans

I did fix it! I can't remember what the issue was, maybe the RS485 line receiver IC. The standard 6 leg chip you find everywhere.

I run them with 5v switcher bricks and one of mine drops out a lot. When I turn up the analog pot that drives the flexmod sometimes it will cut out and I have to reboot it. But the other one is fine. Not sure what the deal is on that.

I'll dig them out soon and shoot some pictures. I was thinking about putting it all up for sale, but then I got to thinking I would probably want to remove the diodes from the units because I would feel bad if people were doing bad things with it. Maybe keep one of them units and sell two.

I only modified 2. The green laser I was going to mount into the 3rd has a heatsink that is tied to the + side of the driver, and didn't have the room to insulate it really. Was going to revisit it. But then picked up a pair of Pluto IIs and well, got distracted.

The turrets keep coming unglued from the plastic bases and that worries me with high powered static beams.

Look forward to the pictures.

I have the same problem with the turrets coming unglued. I tried something different a few days ago and hope it works better. I cleaned all the glue off one that came apart. Then I took some VHB tape (like the stuff used to mount the Pangolin Safety Scan lens mount) and wrapped a very thin piece around the plastic lip. I held the plastic part to the metal part overnight with a spring clamp and it seems to be rock solid now. I'll see how it holds up after several adjustments when in use. Hopefully this solves it because I've tried all kinds of glues and silicon, etc.
    Eric in New Orleans

Default I know this is an old thread but had mobolazer questions

I picked up a Lil green from Selem this year and plan on putting a 4 watt RGB in it. There is no room inside the actual case so I am thinking about mounting it on and optic plate and attaching the plate to the bottom of the unit. this will also add some stability if you want to have it sit upright. Hanging it from a yoke will still not be a problem either. I have not measured it yet but I will try to attach a plate that matches its length then mount the 4 watt RGB and drivers to the plate and put a black metal box over it drill a hole in the front plate of the lil green for the beam and put an mm1 inside to hit the existing mirror that sends it to the actuators and splitters.

My question is does anyone know if the beam splitters are glass on the actuators or are they plastic? I think my turrets came from an M10 as they are all glass and I have some nice diffraction gratings I just hope it can handle 4watts.

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    Look forward to the pictures.

I have the same problem with the turrets coming unglued. I tried something different a few days ago and hope it works better. I cleaned all the glue off one that came apart. Then I took some VHB tape (like the stuff used to mount the Pangolin Safety Scan lens mount) and wrapped a very thin piece around the plastic lip. I held the plastic part to the metal part overnight with a spring clamp and it seems to be rock solid now. I'll see how it holds up after several adjustments when in use. Hopefully this solves it because I've tried all kinds of glues and silicon, etc.
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:
    https://dreamcasterlasershows.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    I picked up a Lil green from Selem this year and plan on putting a 4 watt RGB in it.
    My question is does anyone know if the beam splitters are glass on the actuators or are they plastic? I think my turrets came from an M10 as they are all glass and I have some nice diffraction gratings I just hope it can handle 4watts.
    They're glass. I once fibered 3W of green into a Lil' G beam and the optics didn't seem to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    I picked up a Lil green from Selem this year and plan on putting a 4 watt RGB in it. There is no room inside the actual case .....
    I also picked up one of the Mobolazers at SELEM. It had a weak little red and green module, so I replaced it with a half watt RGB module, which was a tight fit but damn it looks great in my office! I added a little TTL DMX board to be able to turn the lasers on/off individually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5453.JPG  

IMG_5454.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I also picked up one of the Mobolazers at SELEM. It had a weak little red and green module, so I replaced it with a half watt RGB module, which was a tight fit but damn it looks great in my office! I added a little TTL DMX board to be able to turn the lasers on/off individually.
    Looks great nice job shoehorning that in!
    leading in trailing technology