Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Turbotrack not here yet due to airline snafu. Should be here late tonight.
    Waddaya wasting time posting here for, you could've built some amps by now!

Height to the centre of the Y galvo looks to be about 27mm (I've got the galvo out of the block currently so its a bit of an estimate)
    X height is hard to estimate where it hits the actual mirror is because of the tilt.

I've decided to drill and tap the mount holes, so its in bits at the moment.

Nearly wasn't able to remove the galvos due to imperial size hex bolts. I've emailed Bill already to suggest that metric fixings/sizes might be more appropriate for a global market (just my opinion, I expect it'll be divided on the forum too!). Out of interest, where else still uses imperial units for engineering, or is it restricted to certain industries?

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, Swami post forces my edit to new post....

edit - The 2 larger plain holes in the bottom of the block are almost exactly 3.3mm diameter which means no drilling required to run an M4x0.7 tap in there Perfect.
    Last edited by norty303; 01-04-2014 at 05:25.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Airline located Turbotrack. It will be within 7 miles of home tomorrow. Right in a predicted major storm with -8 F predicted temps.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

As far as I can determine the US is the only place to routinely use imperial threads... I hate UNC threads. It could be worse, could be BA threads!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Waddaya wasting time posting here for, you could've built some amps by now!

Height to the centre of the Y galvo looks to be about 27mm (I've got the galvo out of the block currently so its a bit of an estimate)
    X height is hard to estimate where it hits the actual mirror is because of the tilt.

I've decided to drill and tap the mount holes, so its in bits at the moment.

Nearly wasn't able to remove the galvos due to imperial size hex bolts. I've emailed Bill already to suggest that metric fixings/sizes might be more appropriate for a global market (just my opinion, I expect it'll be divided on the forum too!). Out of interest, where else still uses imperial units for engineering, or is it restricted to certain industries?

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, Swami post forces my edit to new post....
    This space for rent.

Ok, have spent most of the afternoon refitting the 506's and amps into the projector.

Took a little longer to sort the block mounting holes than i thought (always harder/slower to do holes, tapping, etc in an already built projector, trying to keep swarf out of electronics, PSU's, etc!), and then once running I had a few issues with orientation of Y axis, and subsequent issues with scanfail safe zone being inverted, which has necessitated getting the soldering iron out, but essentially nothing that isn't to with my setup and how it all works together, and nothing to do with the 506's! Oh, and some realignment work after a summer of work.... Always something

Oh, and I also had some image quality issues (bendy lines on LaserMedia pattern, small Z kinks that existed regardless of size) which I traced back to having both grounds connected to the feedback pins on each amp. Lifted one of the grounds, everything nice and straight again! So scanfail related again.... ho-hum

I'll post up some pics of them running and 'in situ' a bit later, but first impressions are MY GOD THEY GO WIDE!!! And the mirrors are superb, no spillage out the back for a start. And with very little fuss too, a bit of noise but no squealing or anything.

I thought i had them REALLY wide (100% X and Y in projector settings) and then realised the zone was corrected down to less than 50%!

My scanners are 190cm from the wall, and I had the LaserMedia pattern at 180cm wide at 30k with very little distortion. I make that over 50 degrees. That was with the main size settings at 75%. 100% with speed dropped to 25k was similar quality. I simply couldn't get much of it in the frame for a shot though, and a bend in the wall meant i couldn't measure the width.

Remember, these are the big mirrors, as you'll see from the pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1904.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	41666 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1887.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	41667

Name:	IMG_1888.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	41668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1889.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	41669

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	41670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1907.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	41671
    Frikkin Lasers

Pic 5 of 6... is your little girl color with her toes???? lol, gotta love kids!

That scan angle is insane, especially with the size of those mirrors!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

How big are the mirrors in mm x mm?

The large mirror is about 20x7mm. The small is about 10x6mm. The 6mm is a bit of an estimate as I can't get calipers or a rule in there now.
    They seem quite a lot thicker than the DT mirrors too, but again, can't get a caliper on it now I'm afraid.
    Bill will hopefully stop by at some point and he can give the exact dimensions.

Man, my daughter was soooo bored with me this afternoon - I did throw her out of the room whilst I saw testing though. Good eyes absolom
    Frikkin Lasers

They are impressive Norty! Very wide indeed. Do you know if anything compares to these or is it a Pangolin first?

Keith

Well there are the DT40Wide and the WideMoves but I've never seen either of them, or their claims of width. Certainly the DT40W has a similar shaped long mirror, but I don't think it can accept beams as large as these.
    As Bill said in his post on the other thread, I think these are set to 60 degrees full angle.
    Frikkin Lasers

Thanks Norty. I've just got some CT6800s but keeping an eye on other potential options along the way. I will probably start building shortly after finishing my first proper build as I'm sure there will be plenty of room for improvement.

Keith