Page 81 of 88 FirstFirst ... 71777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    there was a thread earlier about some versions of 506's not working ideally with kvant amps. that makes me less than confident on the ebay approach.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    there was a thread earlier about some versions of 506's not working ideally with kvant amps. that makes me less than confident on the ebay approach.
    Aha yes, kvant receives a slightly special version of the C506 that is not compatible with most other amplifiers (and the kvant amps can't drive most C506s "in the wild") This might be what you are referring to. On the datasheet, there is a column for an alternative coil configuration called the AW50 which kvant receives, and very few others, if any, receive. This is also the version the Mach mini will ship with, although the Mach mini will also be compatible with the standard configuration of course.

Anyways... for anyone who has had trouble driving their C506 scanners, please feel free to contact me personally whether by PM on here, email at ryan@pangolin.com, or at the office number. Once the Mach mini is released, I will personally make sure each and every person who has had problems is taken care of for their troubles, and are 100% satisfied, you can hold me to that.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

hi ryan,

yes.. and here's bill post about it: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...164#post318164

and i do agree with him about dt40 vs. pt.

i think we'll all be a lot happier when 506's have "official" amps and we're getting the best performance possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Aha yes, kvant receives a slightly special version of the C506 that is not compatible with most other amplifiers (and the kvant amps can't drive most C506s "in the wild") This might be what you are referring to. On the datasheet, there is a column for an alternative coil configuration called the AW50 which kvant receives, and very few others, if any, receive. This is also the version the Mach mini will ship with, although the Mach mini will also be compatible with the standard configuration of course.

Anyways... for anyone who has had trouble driving their C506 scanners, please feel free to contact me personally whether by PM on here, email at ryan@pangolin.com, or at the office number. Once the Mach mini is released, I will personally make sure each and every person who has had problems is taken care of for their troubles, and are 100% satisfied, you can hold me to that.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ed's working on a special project for us, using those Saturn 5s.

I'm not super-familiar with the PL nickname "Andy-Con". The "problem" with PL is that people can somewhat hide behind nicknames. There are those who sign their real name to every post, and those who don't... So it's not easy for me to know if Andy-Con is a kind of "hater" (someone who would never even buy anything from Pangolin regardless of what it is) or someone who has a legitimate complaint. Moreover, since I don't know who Andy-Con is, I can't tell if we have had ANY discussion about this, outside of these most recent comments on PL.

Look folks, some people have legitimate gripes. Pangolin is not a perfect company. But some people just take every single opportunity to complain and run up their "number of posts" counter, as a way of patting themselves on the back.

If someone discussed Saturns with me personally, and then laid their money down and haven't received them yet (I am not aware of anyone in this category), then they've got a legitimate gripe. But if someone has never even inquired with Pangolin as to delivery dates, options, or anything else, then their just posting to pat themselves on the back. Sorry folks but that's how I feel...

In any event, the fact of the matter is that we ship somewhere around 1000 C506 every month. Some people have come by our office and seen us making them by hand. While it's true that we don't deliver an amp for these from Pangolin right now, but there are options, including Steven Roberts, X-Laser and others selling them here. So C506 should basically be highly available, with mirror sets for beam diameters from 3mm all the way up to 10mm (or 100mm in Tom's language...)

On the Saturns, I'd use the terminology "early production". Nevertheless, we've shipped to Kvant, then to Disney, then to people who have laid their money down. Money talks and bullshit walks... If you want something, don't piss and moan about it, place a purchase order!

Another thing that "talks" is being a friend to Pangolin, and another thing that "walks" is being a hater... For example Master PJ will receive his Saturns next week. (Other PL members too, who tend to read more than they write.) Swammi is on the short-list too, but we're waiting on a deliverable from him ;-)

So aside from the Disneys of the world, we're delivering to individuals now. We'll start delivering production quantities to projector manufacturers once we've developed a stock of systems from which deliveries can be made immediately.

Anyway, if someone wants something from Pangolin, what's really required is that they pick up the phone, get into a dialog, and then lay their money down. As I've said many times, complaining accomplishes nothing positive!

William Benner

Bill I'm andy, been on this forum a long time, attended every single UK LEM. everyone knows me and who I am.

I have nothing against pangolin, I'm not a hater. I think pangolin make the best DAC's money can buy and own two fb3's. as I said I also own a set of 506's.

I just wish you would sell a complete product - scanners with matching amps
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the note. Although you've given some additional information (and I appreciate it) I still don't know who you are, although I am sure all of the UK guys do ;-) One day I'll have to get to a UKLEM. I've attended every PL event, and every Laser Freak event, but so far none in UK.

Your wish is echoed by many others, not the least of which is Planters, who has said the same thing privately and publicly. And we'll get there... For the Saturns we do ship a complete system, but so far not for the Compact. In fact, we're working on a very cool little amp for that, and hired a guy to complete it. Unfortunately for us (but fortunately for the fellow), he got a job offer from NASA and chose to leave Pangolin for it. (Heck, I would have too... ;-) ) In the mean time, I hope the other offerings satisfy at least some of the people.

By the way, we have a number of uncommitted Saturn 5 scanners sitting in the office. If someone can write to me privately and tell me why they deserve them -- what they'd do with them, how Pangolin (and they) would benefit, etc. I'd be willing to ship them so experiments could be done and we could all learn something... The Saturn 5 is really made for larger apertures, although our initial idea years ago was to use it for 3mm.

I just tested Saturn 5 with our highest impedance (slowest) coil configuration with 8mm mirrors. (What we call 8mm is what other people might call something much much larger, who knows maybe even 80mm...) Performance surprised me so I made a video which can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIKEsM1BBE

The Mach DSP amp is a single-ended amp -- not an H-bridge. We did that for simplicity, and also to keep heat down. (I'll let Planters tell you stories about amps with H-bridge...) The projector runs at only 24 volts. Scan angle could be wider if I wanted to throw more voltage at it (such as 30V or so).

Bill

Default My last post was not about "free scanners" ;-)

Hi folks,

Since I made my last post, a few people have responded that -- sure, they could use the Saturn 5 for this or that, but so far nothing really inspirational or unusual. So far the applications don't even involve large beams, and the result would be only to answer questions to which we already know the answers, such as: "Is scanner A better than scanner B" (yes); and "will the Saturn 5 really go faster even with larger mirrors" (yes). What I am hoping is that someone has an idea, or a project that could really benefit, and in fact really can't work without this. The discovery that we can get this kind of performance from these kind of mirrors is an interesting discovery, but so far this is only a technology demonstration.

With the results of the 8mm being as good as they are, I am going to to ahead and mount a pair of our 10mm mirrors and see how that works out. I'm also going to use a Saturn 5 with a different coil configuration. The 10mm mirrors might actually be double the inertia -- easily 50% more anyway, so we'll see what could be done.

Bill

not a plea for free scanners, but just casually wondering if they had been tested with any industrial laser marking systems. one of my to-do list items is to build a galvo based laser engraver to complement my cnc laser cutter. could they handle heavier mirrors for co2 or yag?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi folks,

Since I made my last post, a few people have responded that -- sure, they could use the Saturn 5 for this or that, but so far nothing really inspirational or unusual. The result would be only to answer questions to which we already know the answers, such as: "Is scanner A better than scanner B" (yes); and "will the Saturn 5 really go faster even with larger mirrors" (yes). What I am hoping is that someone has an idea, or a project that could really benefit, and in fact really can't work without this. The discovery that we can get this kind of performance from these kind of mirrors is an interesting discovery, but so far this is only a technology demonstration.

With the results of the 8mm being as good as they are, I am going to to ahead and mount a pair of our 10mm mirrors and see how that works out. I'm also going to use a Saturn 5 with a different coil configuration. The 10mm mirrors might actually be double the inertia -- easily 50% more anyway, so we'll see what could be done.

Bill

if pangolin want to fund an entire project id happily build a 10w 637nm red monster with big beams to run with Saturn 5 (providing they come with amps ;-) )

60-70 diodes has got to be a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi folks,

Since I made my last post, a few people have responded that -- sure, they could use the Saturn 5 for this or that, but so far nothing really inspirational or unusual. So far the applications don't even involve large beams, and the result would be only to answer questions to which we already know the answers, such as: "Is scanner A better than scanner B" (yes); and "will the Saturn 5 really go faster even with larger mirrors" (yes). What I am hoping is that someone has an idea, or a project that could really benefit, and in fact really can't work without this. The discovery that we can get this kind of performance from these kind of mirrors is an interesting discovery, but so far this is only a technology demonstration.

Bill
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat