Thread: ..speaking of 'laser pointers'...

Default ..speaking of 'laser pointers'...

..anyone here try one of these? First I've seen of 'em.. http://www.celluon.com/products.php ..then again, I've usually got my head stuck-up two Co's *'s and often miss 'new-stuff' for awhile... are they already 'old news'? Pretty cool, in any-case..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I think they've been around for a few Years.

I'm not sure I would like a keyboard that didn't click when you pressed the buttons. I suppose you could project it on to some bubble wrap

Keith

Default Yes! I saw one ----

dlsi_jon,

I just saw one at a Brookstone in an Airport a couple weeks ago. It was * amazing * how accurate the scan was of the projected keyboard! There was no flicker! I researched the companey a bit but could not find any information on the type of scanner they used, obviously that is their competetive secret. Maybe its not a scanner at all, perhaps some tricky optics? I searched PL when I returned from the trip and could not find anyone talking about it and figured I used poor keywords in the search.

The salesperson said they are all on backorder and won't be available until the middle of January....

IF it does use a scanner it really makes a fella wonder how they get such a high scan rate....

Does anyone have any knowledge about the type of technology used to project that keypad image ?

-Jason

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i would guess it's an HOE, not a scanner. i don't think they have any moving parts inside.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    dlsi_jon,

I just saw one at a Brookstone in an Airport a couple weeks ago. It was * amazing * how accurate the scan was of the projected keyboard! There was no flicker! I researched the companey a bit but could not find any information on the type of scanner they used, obviously that is their competetive secret. Maybe its not a scanner at all, perhaps some tricky optics? I searched PL when I returned from the trip and could not find anyone talking about it and figured I used poor keywords in the search.

The salesperson said they are all on backorder and won't be available until the middle of January....

IF it does use a scanner it really makes a fella wonder how they get such a high scan rate....

Does anyone have any knowledge about the type of technology used to project that keypad image ?

-Jason
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Swamidog, forgive my ignorance....what is a HOE?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

They've been on some TV commercials recently. Does look pretty cool. Small and easy to steal though. And sure as heck won't make me a better typist. I'm still hunt and peck at best.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

we're all photonic ho's..

HOE is a holographic optical element.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hologra...ptical_element

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Swamidog, forgive my ignorance....what is a HOE?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

@ Jason, ayep, Swami called-it.. similar (albeit less-complex..) elements can be found even in those 'super-cheapo' Chi-pointers, with those 'interchangeable-caps' - ya know, the ones that project stars or rabbits or smileys or even simple-words, 'LOL', etc, ie: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ne...617d6b-349.php etc.. and there's even some pretty far-out Dev going on with 'HOE-based / related' research, ie: http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/e...ake-food-safer ...pretty-cool / kinda-creepy at the same time..

..Anyhoo, ya, I guess I missed the bus on this one.. Still, I can't see it being much use for, say, an iPad (..why??) but.. sure would be helpful for the annoyingly-tiny iPhone / other phone keypads... And, like those 'Microvision Show-WX' nano-pj's, it's a pretty-cool 'Bondian' piece of kit to tote-around / use on a flight, etc.. Good conversation-starter / nerd-chick magnet, at least..

..I think it could also be pretty badass to have, say, a 'laser-HOE'd APC-40', so you could, uh, 'control your laser-projector with your laser-projected controller'..

..Now, who's gonna be the first to RE / hack one and put a 520 in it for better daylite-vis?..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Them theere devices is ooold hat! I bought one nine years ago. =)
    It was an uber cool toy and still is a waay cool toy today. =)
    Will there be three phase!!!!

The device used in the Canesta virtual keyboard is a DOE (diffractive optical element), not a HOE. I made a prototype HOE for them in 2003 when it was in development, but the DOE was cheaper to produce in large numbers.