Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Ilda view tool

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I especially like the idea of the Amiga-inspired painter...could be fun!
    I Loved my Amigas when used regularly...alas...no room to have them out and up...yet! The Amiga 1000 with Live Framegrabber and a camera at a rave! Would Still be great today! When I get my personal Lasarium completed! Watch Out!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Well, I never owned an Amiga, that frame editor tool is based on this post: http://hamoid.tumblr.com/post/653839...ogram-inspired but "Amiga-inspired" has a better ring than "Tumblr inspired" :P
    (By the way, The_Doctor, there is a link there that explains how this was done in Processing in case you want to know more)

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Well Processing has been around for a while and shows up as the first result in Google :P

To each their own. You have your reasons for C, I have my reasons for Processing. Yes, my program is a bit memory intensive, but in times where everybody has four gigs of ram, does it matter?
    Again, Processing is very simple to use. They use it sometimes in elementary schools to get children in touch with programming. It lowers the bar for people to get into programming. I hope people will expand on my program (though maybe not on this release, might want to clean up my code a bit), and I think that's going to be much less likely if I had done it in C.
    By which you know I didn't look. There was a time when I would have, like a shot. To me, though I hated C, it was always the core, the fastest way short of assembler which is very CPU specific, while C isn't. Once I finally cut to that particular chase, I stayed. Too late for me to change now. C will outlive me too. Got to say though, 4GB of RAM is a lot! I have 1GB, and a lot of that is spare, used as a RAM disk for temp stores that I want erased at shutdown.

Remember that mobile devices usually have many more restrictions. At some point I think you'll want to explore those, and embedded stuff, or Raspberry Pi or whatever fits. (That Pi is also used in education now, running a basic Linux kernel and compiler, or perhaps code is compiled externally first). The reason for my angle on this is this: For years I saw the big development stuff, and failed to get into it, it always looked like huge occupied territory to me. That's a big psychological barrier to me. It was only when I found a very minimal compiler and learned to code things in small text files that could do the kinds of magic I'd beleived for years required the big stuff, that I got some real liberation. It's too damn good not to share. Most people never realise it because they get into the usual big development-suite accesses, all the library code. That last bit I need to look at actually, no point trying to reinvent every wheel, but the reality for me was that only when I build most of my wheels do I actually build much of anything. I may add wxWidgets to C code if I ever figure out how. I think it is wise to work out a final choice as early as possible, rather than get caught in an upgrade cycle, to prevent being at the mercy of other developers. Pick something futureproof. Not easy, but long-term past establishment is a good guide. C is still widely used. C++ even more so. I don't think the language will be your main obstacle to sharing development, but the raw code size. If the project gets big, uses many files, that will be the toughest barrier. Even from a compiler's point of view, if it can all sit in one file, the output code is usually faster, more reliable and compact too. I don't know if 'Processing' resolves all that but it's worth looking into before making a long-term decision.

I just noticed, among other things, that when exporting to Ilda V0, blanking isn't correct... So here's an update that fixes that!
    More importantly, I restructured a bit of the source code and added a lot more comments, so anyone who cares to add more functionability should have it easier.

Changelog for version 1.0.1:
    -Fixed nullpointererror when selecting an invalid file to import (ild and palette image)
    -Fixed palette colour n° 256 not being exported (they said max 255! D: )
    -Improved Easter egg a little bit (has anyone found it yet?)
    -Fixed "Show information" not remaining active when going to another tab
    -Ilda V0 blanking fixed (woops!)
    -When entering palette editor tab, colour sliders now get the value of the first colour instead of white
    -When loading in an ilda file, the text informs you about the number of Ilda headers found which is a more accurate description

Attachment 41715
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 01-07-2014 at 13:06.

Thanks for developing and posting this, cmb!

Although I have a few other ILDA viewing and manipulation tools, your lightweight tool is especially helpful for watching point counts in long ILDA animations and for looking at 3d frames quickly from any angle. I like seeing the blanking points too, as it makes overly-complicated frames obvious.

Again, thanks for sharing!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    Thank you for the gift!
    Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Thanks for developing and posting this, cmb!

Although I have a few other ILDA viewing and manipulation tools, your lightweight tool is especially helpful for watching point counts in long ILDA animations and for looking at 3d frames quickly from any angle. I like seeing the blanking points too, as it makes overly-complicated frames obvious.

Again, thanks for sharing!

-David
    You're welcome, glad you liked it

How do i get this to run? I double click the IldaViewer.Bat file and it opens a CommandPrompt Window which closes almost instanstly

I got it to open i had wrong java installed lol but when it opens it comes up with errors
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ildaerror.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	41716

Ah, I guess this is what The_Doctor was talking about :P

Looks like you also need to upgrade the drivers of your graphics card. What video card do you have? Go to the manufacturer's website and install upgraded drivers.

If that doesn't work, try this: if you have Processing installed, you can try to change the renderer and recompile. To do this, rename the "source" folder to IldaViewer and copy the data folder into it. In this folder you can now open IldaViewer.pde in Processing. Search for this line: size(600, 600, OPENGL); and replace it by size(600, 600, P3D); . Before you can compile it, you need to install the libraries PeasyCam and ControlP5, which you can easily do by going to Sketch >> Import libraries >> Add libraries... and download and install the two libraries.

Hope this solves the problem!