Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect MIDI Controller ? Help us design it !

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Not handy, but Google will work with this one if you do this:
    "pocket electronics" AND doepfer
    Dieter Doepfer does all sorts of good stuff. This one is likely the cheapest and most versatile way to go.

If you want more controls you can use a MIDI merge device. Don't try to splice two outputs directly because messages will crash that way.

If you are making a switch-heavy controller you might use a keyboard scanner to do it. Later, the code that receives all the MIDI signals will direct note messages as switch signals.

One neat thing about Pocket Electronics is that you can use a pot, or a 'rotary encoder' which puts out digital pulses, and has no start or end position. That might be useful.
    Thanks for the tip. I visited his page and found the solution ideal for One-Off controllers as the examples show.
    Yet I feel the LIVID D.I.Y modules offer easier integration and are more like the units we are thinking of, with color feedback led's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Before you get in too deep, be aware that every context for MIDI control usually ends up at some point with this consideration of the 'perfect' MIDI controller.

There is only really one answer: One that can create any MIDI message at the user's will with little effort. Peavey's PC1600X is probably the best ever created, but it would be lousy to use in the dark as a laser controller.

So you have one of two effective choices:
    1. Make a single slab of purely virtual controls.
    2. Use a cheap and efficient MIDI ADC board and let people design panels.

The first is taken by the likes of Apple and Samsung. Don't go there. You will not be able to compete. The second is why I mentioned Doepfer's Pocket Electronics. Your most cost-effective way to do business may be to get just 5 different panels worked out according to as much user input as you can get, and find a cheap way to get them cut and marked with control labels, and to find bulk sources of the best deals on decent pots and switches you can get. If you agonise over one ideal form you will lose.
    You got a valid point here.
    I cannot reveal my thoughts on this yet as I have a design in mind that might be both revolutionary as well as simple at the same time.
    Best things in life are simple

I can say that what you mention here is high on the list...configurability !

I have been keeping an eye out for a used OhmRGB for a while (I guess people like keeping hold of them).

I have zero experience with midi controllers, so can't really tell what I would want - other than plenty of buttons, sliders and pots. I am only guessing here, based on the variables I am currently putting into LSX which would be awesome to be able to control live.

There are a lot of potential variables and scales at which I would like to change them. It would be great to have fast and slow rate change for some options too. Not sure if this could be done with midi but imagine with LSX's flexibility it would not be too hard.

Keith

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Hmmm... I prefer hardware instead of a touch screen, as you can use it without looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post

In your case you may want to add a pot for each of the variables you need to create your abstracts. As I know very little about abstracts but I do know Pangolin can use 3 generators to create them, you may want to have 3 pots you can assign a generator to and be able to adjust the generator variable for your effect.

So in short, you would need at least 3 knobs for the variables, 1 switch to turn them on or of , so 3 switches and probably a master fader as well.
    Feel free to correct me where I am off here.
    This is not quite correct. An oscillator typically has three options: amplitude, frequency and phase offset. That's three parameters per oscillator. If what you are saying is correct, Pangolin is limited to three oscillators, so that means you need to control nine parameters for full control. In LSX, where creating an oscillator is as simple as typing in a sine wave expression, this number can be higher.

I use a controller with 32 rotary encoders, which allows me to control sufficient parameters simultaneously in LSX. However, for some things I'd like faders more, as it is difficult to turn a variable fully open or down in one movement...

Here's a list of controls that IMO should be added:

-Master intensity (fader)
    -Master size (fader)
    -Master position (joystick or faders)
    -Master rotation (guess three rotary encoders are good enough, one for each axis)
    -Master rotation speed (fader for each axis)
    -Master playback speed (fader)
    -Tap sync button

-R, G and B buttons and/or faders for global colour control
    -R, G, B and I frequency knobs/faders/encoders
    -R, G, B and I modulation amplitude knobs/faders/encoders

I don't have experience with multi-projector setups, but I imagine people could use things like chase control, individual rotation offset, ... thoughts?

-Cue selection: amount of buttons up for discussion (or maybe touchscreen?)
    -Page selection

-Oscillator: 9 knobs

I know it's unrealistic...

Edit: why MIDI? Why not OSC?
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 01-07-2014 at 16:03.

Physical controls are a must have. Touch screens have their place but are easily beaten by tactile controls.
    Proper click switches like on a Chamsys wing or Chamtech PM console, not rubber membrane.
    Full tri colour LEDs on EVERYTHING! This is one of the biggest failings of the current crop of controllers like APC.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

My most used physical control is animation speed. Been thinking of making my own controller for a while and including joysticks for rotation etc.
    This space for rent.

Www.ucapps.de

All that is needed and more!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Its a shame this board was retired.... Expandable too.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/9108
    This space for rent.

OLED buttons

hey I can dream right?

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    OLED buttons

hey I can dream right?
    I looked at using these before, ends up way too expensive once the button count gets over about 4!
    This space for rent.