Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M9x.05 spiral-flute bottoming taps

Default M9x.05 spiral-flute bottoming taps

So, here's my dilemma: I need to get a couple of these made, and they're $131.90 a piece in qty. 2, but if I buy 6 they jump down to $46.20 each. I know I'm not the only one who uses these taps, and I've found that they're hard to come by. I bought two on Amazon a while back, but they're not spiral flute OR bottoming, which makes tapping holes for lenses quite difficult.

Is there anyone out there who would want one or two of these? I just can't bring myself to buy 2 when the price for 6 is essentially the same.
    Neat!

spiral? put me down for 1 maybe 2

good call
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Is there a reason you can get a $15 'normal' tap and grind off the taper? I ran into the same issue as you and decided the added cost wasn't worth getting a 'real' tap, but I may be interested in getting one if you can get the $50 price as long as it is a decent quality tap.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Is there a reason you can get a $15 'normal' tap and grind off the taper? I ran into the same issue as you and decided the added cost wasn't worth getting a 'real' tap, but I may be interested in getting one if you can get the $50 price as long as it is a decent quality tap.
    You could grind the taper off, but the problem of chips is the big deal here. A spiral fluted tap will pull the chips up, like a drill, instead of pushing them in front of the tap. Additionally, you have to have a pretty good grinder, one with a carbide wheel and a collet, in order not to muck up the trueness of the taper which could break taps with this fine of a thread pitch.

The taps are from North American Tool out of Illinois. I have dozens of custom taps that I use for rigid tapping in the mill. The quality is very good.

There's a 24-hour lead time, plus shipping to Oregon via UPS, then shipping to wherever you're located, so delivery time is likely < 2 weeks, unless you happen to be in the UK :P
    Neat!

These will be perfect for my tapmatic tapping head
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Put me down for one please.

Do we know if it's HSS, or any fancy carbide or TiN coated?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Put me down for one please.

Do we know if it's HSS, or any fancy carbide or TiN coated?
    Okay, that makes 3 people, I'll put the order in today.

I had them quoted in HSS because my application is aluminum, copper, and brass, all of which play nicely with HSS. I didn't want to bother with coating, since these are being custom-ground, adding a coating would just double the price :/

[EDIT] Just called and placed the order, they'll be finished on Monday then UPS 3-day to my location. I should be sending them your way on Thursday. Please PM or email me your address and PayPal email, and I'll calculate shipping and send you a payment request via PP. Cost is $46.20 plus your choice of shipping method from 97302 (please let me know in the email, otherwise it'll come FedEx). andrew@elmridgemfg.com
    Last edited by laserlackey; 01-17-2014 at 08:39.
    Neat!

you can post mine and dans together to me.

any option to have the shank on mine ground down to 7mm?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    I had them quoted in HSS because my application is aluminum, copper, and brass, all of which play nicely with HSS. I didn't want to bother with coating, since these are being custom-ground, adding a coating would just double the price :/
    No problem - I just thought to ask; I plan on keeping mine sharp for a long time.
    Can I increase my order to 2 please?
    As per Con's post... can you package mine and his order together please? Three taps in total if possible.
    Could you let me know what the postage would be on that? Standard USPS international will do; 100% no rush here.

Thanks again for your efforts.
    Regards,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    No problem - I just thought to ask; I plan on keeping mine sharp for a long time.
    Can I increase my order to 2 please?
    As per Con's post... can you package mine and his order together please? Three taps in total if possible.
    Could you let me know what the postage would be on that? Standard USPS international will do; 100% no rush here.

Thanks again for your efforts.
    Regards,
    Dan
    Certainly. Email me your address and I'll get you a price straight away. andrew@elmridgemfg.com
    Neat!