Thread: Help with 100mW 593.5nm PSU-H-OEM driver

Default Help with 100mW 593.5nm PSU-H-OEM driver

I posted this on the photonlexicon Facebook page but got no replies.

So I bought a 100mW CNI 593.5nm laser recently with a mismatched driver. The laser strobed and only output 1mW I assumed it was dead.
    Long story short the laser works fine but the driver is the issue.

The laser head needs 2 amps Minimum anything below that I get 1 mW at 2 amps it spikes to 34mW. I achieved this by running the TEC’s on the driver and the diode on my bench power supply.

I am getting choppy output current and I can’t seem to get the driver to go above 855mA (I have diode current Pot turned all the way up). As shows in this video.

I also discovered the output for the TEC looks the same way on the scope but only when there is a load on the diode output. Without a load on the diode the xTal TEC output is smooth. However removing the load on the xtal TEC does not smooth out the diode current.

The The driver Is a PSU-H-OEM like on this page http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/MGL-F-593.5.pdf The laser head has same plug as one on PDF But is a smaller laser head.(like the head Laserglow sells )
    Here are some Pics of the driver

My 3 questions are does anyone know what the problem is on this driver is ?

does anyone know how to get the current up to 2 amps?

Or worst case does anyone have a working driver i can buy. My budgets only $70. ?

Update
    Bad news So The new PSU for this laser Arrived and I put the new PSU under the driver and hooked it all up. I turned it on and smoked the filter cap right by the diode output Connector on the board Turns out I had one of the pairs of voltage +and - mixed up and killed the driver with reverse current.
    I replaced the bad cap but its no good something else died. Probably all the SMD transistors

Updated 5/12/14

The guy I sent it to replaced all the large Components and The IC's and it still does not work. He said he would have to check the tiny resistors now. EEEK

But just in case I am looking for any power supply that would run this head. It needs to run 2 TEc's and a diode and a few amps Not sure the exact power ill try to figure than out and get back but its a few watts of pump power.
    Last edited by Lazerman121; 05-12-2014 at 10:46.
    Lasers
    •405nm violet(blue-ray) laser-eBay I fixed it ya
    •473nm 10mW LSR473NL series blue laser module www.lasever.com review
    •488nm 5mW Novalux Protera DPSS Laboratory Unit
    •532nm 5mW green laser www.elitelasers.com
    •650nm 5mW red

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Does the chop frequency match the TEC PWM frequency or is the 5V psu going into crowbar and restarting? What is the period of the "chop" measured on the scope in milliseconds or seconds? You have a scope so those should be easy questions to answer.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Does the chop frequency match the TEC PWM frequency or is the 5V psu going into crowbar and restarting? What is the period of the "chop" measured on the scope in milliseconds or seconds? You have a scope so those should be easy questions to answer.

Steve
    Actually i meant to bump this thread. I got it fixed. Turns out the PSU under the driver was dropping to 9 volts under load. with a true 12 volt PSU everything works fine.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Bad news So The new PSU for this laser Arrived and I put the new PSU under the driver and hooked it all up. I turned it on and smoked the filter cap right by the diode output Connector on the board Turns out I had one of the pairs of voltage +and - mixed up and killed the driver with reverse current.
    I replaced the bad cap but its no good something else died. Probably all the SMD transistors
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerman121 View Post
    That sucks :/ , Will you try and fix the driver or locate a new driver board ? . Even a simple laser diode driver and 2 decent TEC drivers would work well .

I sent it to a member on LPF for attempted repair Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    CNI Quoted $800 for a new driver EEEK.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Update The guy I sent it to replaced all the large Components and The IC's and it still does not work. He said he would have to check the tiny resistors now. EEEK

But just in case I am looking for any power supply that would run this head. It needs to run 2 TEc's and a diode and a few amps Not sure the exact power ill try to figure than out and get back but its a few watts of pump power.

Edit : Im adding this to the Original post.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red