Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Software, New Ideas.

Well I've just reported Admin, lets see how long it takes him to respond.

Jim

Running a bit slow today... yea, got the reported notification in email, pretty neat and i'm glad to see i got the settings right for that feature.

Talking

I guess it needs to be a bigger button...

I guess it needs to be a bigger button...
    You just need new glasses

Jim

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    You just need new glasses

Jim
    I need new batterys for my old glasses...

Battery operated glasses.
    Cool!
    Are they X-ray specs or do you have laserpointers mounted on them?

I'll order a battery for you when I send for one for my LaserCheck, I dont think you should need to throw away glasses just for the sake of a $10 battery.

Jim

Not quite sure if this is the right place...... But.......

How about a 'Sticky' thread or sub section that can act as a Glossary of common terms of items used in lasers and projectors etc.

Things such as Dichro's, Galvo's, Nanometers, Diffraction Gratings, Pump Diodes, Beamsplitters, Polarisation, Tem00, Wavelength, KTP, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that I personally don't know what all the above are ;-)...

However, I do think this would be an invaluable rescource for any newcomers who would be able to look in one single thread for an explanation of all the common language that is sometimes taken for granted by those who have been in this game for a long while. Some of the common achronyms used are particularly difficult to find reference to.

There could even be a section that lists each individual item used in Lasers/Projectors and where people have purchased them from, what they paid for them and what the part numbers are, this would be Fantastic for newcomers like me

How about it folks....Admin...... ANYONE ????????

Cheers

Jem

Thumbs up

That's a great idea Jem!

Spec had talked about starting a laser-related Wiki, but I don't know how far that project got... Might be time to look into that again.

As far as the terms you mentioned, it's a great start. I'm certain there are posts in the archives already that could be used to form the basis of a wiki (or a FAQ, for that matter).

whatcha think, Spec?

Adam

Any more thoughts on my previous thread regarding a 'Wiki' style glossary of terms yet ????

It must get quite frustrating for everyone answering some of the same old questions time and time again when newbies arrive on the forum. It's even more frustrating for newbies having to search through old posts trying to find the bits they want. O.K., you can do searches, but quite often what you're trying to find is out of context.

I realise a 'Wiki' can be a lot of work, so how about we just start a sub section called something like 'common terms used on this forum'. Everyone can then have a bit of input.

A new thread can be started for each 'term' and after the initial posting (which would contain a brief description) everyone can then add their bit to enhance the initial thread by posting their replies.

This way we should be able to build up a really useful 'library' of terms.

What do you think????

Perhaps when we have a load of 'terms' we can then edit the best bits out and start a proper 'Wiki'. That way it shouldn't be quite as much work to get it going.

Can a Moderator perhaps add a new sub section so we can at least try to get this going????

Cheers

Jem