Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to the world of Lasers with ~$700 Budget. Suggestions and Opinions please!

I do not plan on making money on this. I want to work professional events, meet people, and have a grand time learning new lasers and software. I make enough money with freelance video editing and working as a O.S. Manager. I go to concerts way more than any other 18 year old that I know so I witness professional lasers almost weekly. I just would like to be in control you know
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Go back and read/reply to that now that I've edited it. What about your music skills? For Techno if you can count to 16 and recognize patterns, you have a chance. For other types of music, it takes a bit more skill. Control may fall more and more to the lighting director these days, thanks to DMX and Open Show Control.

Do put some of that money your making in the bank long term. Lesson to be learned from a former pro laserist: It took me years to get a job in lasers that more then pays the bills. Put some money away for a rainy day. Also consider college.

I still work with laboratory lasers and I help my friend keep his show company running, and growing when possible.

If your attending concerts, you probably need a lot more then a watt and a half projector. (I'm not even going to get into the whole Quickshow vs LSX debate, each have their uses in live performance.)

Having a small projector does help to practice with, if you intend to work for some one part time. If you just want to control, see If there is a market for your services and just invest in better control systems (like two of them) and less in the projector. Hint: You have to bill at least two and a half, maybe three times, your event costs to make a profit. Probably more then that to achieve growth.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-22-2014 at 16:06.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Currently going to Columbia College of Hollywood, all tuition paid. I have also started a Roth IRA

"Can you play an instrument or sing?"
    Drum for 8 years, piano for 2.
    "Can you do line drawings freehand?"
    I have done many drawings with rulers and stuff. Could you explain the need of this? (I don't doubt you, I just want to know )

"Use 3D Studio Max or similar?"
    3 Years experience with Cinema 4D

"Do you like board and component level electronics work?"
    I don't have much personal experience with it but like I said, my fulltime job is a systems operations manager. I can learn quickly

"Do you understand what a business plan is?, what a incidental cost is?, what a sunk cost is? Do you have a market now, or a way of marketing your services?"
    I am very familiar with those terms as I am a freelance video editor (young but professional)
    http://AnthonyGarciaProductions.com (site WIP)

And about you being in Ohio, I'm willing to buy LSX from you if you are selling

I have quite a good amount of experience with private DJing. This may sound naive but I listen to so much house and techno music, I think I have the idea of how and when to do lasers

I reeeeeeaaaallllly appreciate the time you are putting into welcoming me into the Laser world. Thanks!
    -

Bands like Logos, and converting a Logo freehand into laser is tricky. The autoscanning software does not always produce the optimum result, and one must freehand edit. There are physical limits to how the galvanometers can scan, and images often need some hand editing. Thus drawing skills are important.

Cin 4D is a good start.

LSX is sold at Innolasers. My good friend Dr Lava. You'll want a LSX-RIYA or LSX-Etherdream package. You'll also want a Laser-cam license.

Ok, You get the basics of business and are going to school. That means you are allowed to waste or manage your money. This is a low profit money pit, usually a huge loss, like owning any boat larger then a canoe. You've been warned.

Steve

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    I see that you are 818, Im in Los Angeles too. I know this may sound strange but is there anyway I can meet up and physically check out your lasers?
    Sure! All I need from you are two things: #1, You will need to do the 'homework', outlined here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...276#post283276 ....This way, when we meet-up / chat, you are not just standing there looking at me, 'blinking'.. #2, If you want to 'physically check our our lasers', I'll just need to see a valid Visa Black or AmEx Centurion, first as you'll be handling equipment to the value of your-budget... plus two-more zeros.. +_+ ..When people say 'kiss your wallet / retirement-plan goodbye'.. they mean it...

TtyL8r...
    j

PS - If you show-up in a GT3, Testarossa, Countach, Veyron or Vanquish, I *am* going to slap you.. ;D jk..
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I will gladly be doing my homework! (I have "trained" people how to edit videos when in reality I spent 3 hours replaying everything that they were suppose to watch before coming to me.)
    By check out I meant watch you control either at your house or at an event, and maybe control them myself. not check out like a book. I handle $35,000 cameras every week but I still wouldnt trust myself witha technology that I don't have any physical experience with.

My number is 661-753-4442. Please feel free to call or text at any time.
    -

I already was planning on getting etherdream and lsx basic from innolasers. I was just wondering if you had them and wanted to sell used.

Thanks for the explanation!
    -

I know your from the "privacy is dead generation", but you might want to pull your personal data, phone number, and company name from the threads. :-) This will matter much later in life.
    We can find you via pm.

Jon may seem crazy in how he speaks, in fact he is "El Gringo Loco", but I'd go for a visit to his shop. It has a long, long, (cough... Laserium) history. His staff will put his leash and collar on before you come. It is a very historical place, and his older staff are, well, 25+ year veterans.

He has this obsession, as do I, of filing the federal laser safety paperwork and having the insurance, which most people ignore, to their peril. We hate lawyers, and fear fines and prosecutors, as it should be.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-22-2014 at 16:50.

I agree with that privacy is dead thing xD Me and a lot of my friends rarely care if someone knows my number.
    Im sure Jon and I are going to get along just fine
    -

Lightbulb

I will gladly be doing my homework! (I have "trained" people how to edit videos when in reality I spent 3 hours replaying everything that they were suppose to watch before coming to me.)
    Kid, I like ya already. (..and yes, I can call you 'kid' cause you're my eldest Son's age.. ..Promise I won't call you 'son' tho, that's way-too 1950s..

By check out I meant watch you control either at your house or at an event, and maybe..
    Right now, there's not much on the slate that's 'cakewalk-enough' that I could let you shadow on till April, (..and *Thank God* 'cause I've got *so* much ketchin-up to do in the shop.. But, if you can squiggle away from school for a weekend / drive up to Oaklandia, we run this: http://www.chabotspace.org/laserium.htm ..where you'll see stuff (...amongst-other great 'classic' laser-show fx / techniques..) like this: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...022#post280022 ...performed Live, by a seasoned 'Laserist'.. But, you'll notice I 'snipped' your post at "maybe", cuz 'maybe you can play a show' ain't no-way gonna happen 'on yer first date', sorry... Once you see what's involved, you'll understand 'why'.. (..*slight* learning-curve ahead..

..Then, when you've got the time to travel-there, Go see an even *more* masterful Live-performer, here: http://www.slsc.org/laserium ..with an even cooler / fuller 'toolbox'..

Later still, as others have said, GET TO A 'LEM'.. *great* way to meet other laser-peeps, see really well-done 'DIY' projectors / explore / try-out other 'DAC's / compare software pros / cons, etc, etc..all with people far-less cranky than me.. ..a HUGE boost in 'education', LEMS can be a veritable 'laser show mini-course' in (typically..) a $100.-or-less 'package' (+travel, hotel, etc..) Well-worth the effort / time.. There's even-one, 'right up the coast a bit' in OR, comin up soon: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ruary-2nd-2014

..And, even though it's on the 'other side of the US / in August, keep your thread-eyes peeled for posts on the Grandaddy of US-LEMs, "SELEM 2014"..Great time, TONS of PJs / lasers / scan-offs / training / .edu, etc.. And they always have a great T-Shirt..

Gotta bug, L8r..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...