Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new to the world of Lasers with ~$700 Budget. Suggestions and Opinions please!

Question Brand new to the world of Lasers with ~$700 Budget. Suggestions and Opinions please!

I have been interested in getting into lasers for a while, after spending a few nights of lurking on these boards and chatting in the IRC I am ready to leap in!

LASERS
    I was told by someone in IRC to check out http://www.goldenstarlaser.com
    He lived in Czech Republic so the shipping was fie for him, but I am in Los Angeles and I was wondering if I could find something like http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/drgb1500-p-466.html
    without the shipping cost (around 150)

DAC
    I was told to look at EtherDream with LSX as software. I haven't done too much research into other products, but both of those are priced well and look to suit me. My only question is, will LSX Lite be too little for me and is there a way to upgrade to basic or pro for a reduced cost when I get more lasers.

Please please please give me some suggestions and critique as I am new to this and want to get started ASAP. My end goal of getting lasers is to do pricate DJ parties or possibly professional some day. I'm only 18.\

Thanks guys!
    -Anthony
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Spend the money on finding the right girl, or something to make your life better. You'll be better off long term. This is a addictive money pit hobby. You've been warned.

Seriously, No one will stock the projector in the US, but you might find a used one on the boards here.

You will end up spending the shipping either way. Andrew allows upgrades on LSX.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

there is an upgrade path from any version of LSX to higher versions.

if you're curious as to what you can do with LSX and an etherdream DAC, check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/swamidog

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    I have been interested in getting into lasers for a while, after spending a few nights of lurking on these boards and chatting in the IRC I am ready to leap in!

LASERS
    I was told by someone in IRC to check out http://www.goldenstarlaser.com
    He lived in Czech Republic so the shipping was fie for him, but I am in Los Angeles and I was wondering if I could find something like http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/drgb1500-p-466.html
    without the shipping cost (around 150)

DAC
    I was told to look at EtherDream with LSX as software. I haven't done too much research into other products, but both of those are priced well and look to suit me. My only question is, will LSX Lite be too little for me and is there a way to upgrade to basic or pro for a reduced cost when I get more lasers.

Please please please give me some suggestions and critique as I am new to this and want to get started ASAP. My end goal of getting lasers is to do pricate DJ parties or possibly professional some day. I'm only 18.\

Thanks guys!
    -Anthony
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Spend the money on finding the right girl, or something to make your life better. You'll be better off long term. This is a addictive money pit hobby. You've been warned.

Seriously, No one will stock the projector in the US, but you might find a used one on the boards here.

You will end up spending the shipping either way. Andrew allows upgrades on LSX.

Steve
    Any suggestions for a particular laser or company?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help!
    -

DAC
    My only question is, will LSX Lite be too little for me and is there a way to upgrade to basic or pro for a reduced cost when I get more lasers.
    IMO not likely with one laser. When you want the more robust drawing program for easier 3D modeling, the games, additional target zones, additional projectors, etc. the incremental cost of upgrading versus paying for a higher version now is negligible. By then you will also want better lasers, scanners, more lasers, etc. . .

. . Perhaps Mixed Gas is right . . Just sink you cash on women and avoid this hobby altogether.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Just sink you cash on women and avoid this hobby altogether.

David
    Currently, I am an operational systems supervisor during the day, and a freelance video editor at night. Im use to looking at screens all day by myself
    -

Lightbulb

Hi Anthony, Welcome to PL..

...I am new to this and want to get started ASAP. My end goal of getting lasers is to do pricate DJ parties...
    Well, here's the deal.. It's (at first..) going to sound like I'm 'pissing in yer punch' but.. Really, I'd just like to - from the get-go - help you become aware of the *correct path*, and then we can discuss / I can recommend how to 'best move you forward' based on your goals, etc.. But, first, PLEASE READ the links, from here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/wiki/in...fety_Overviews -

..*in particular* the 'PDF' at the end.. Simple, clear, and - still - pretty-complete overview of 'the Regs' / why's / wherefore's.. Yes, some of that info is 'dated', (addresses, bell-bottoms, etc.) but much of the 'base-Regs info' / safety principals / rationales are still the same / valid..

..For the most-current 'what's required to do shows' - in public - (..and Yes, a 'private party' with DJ'ing, etc, *is* considered a 'public show', from a safety / best-practices standpoint..) see here: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-Emittin.../ucm118907.htm - ..then, 'let's chat'.. 818.358.8716, late-evenings (after 11pm..) are best..

Cheers..
    j

PS - DON'T buy an ILLEGAL Chinsese projector, just DON'T.. a) it's starting off on the 'wrong foot', b) the 'CDRH' is stepping-up customs-enforcement / seizures, and you very-well might end up 'flushing your $$' (..and No, the 'Chijector' Co's don't 'refund' you if yer shizz get's seized / returned / destroyed..) c) Your CDRH 'Variance' (once you are at that point.. which is *supposed to be* at the beginning, before 'Biz', in this country.. will not get approved, if you're using Illegal / non-Compliant systems..

..It's also generally not a good idea to get on the 'I (obviously) don't know what I am doing'-side of the Federal Gov, since you / your Co. will need them / your Variance, when, ie: waay-down the road, in the future, when you are an International Pro-DJ and blazing-above, say, 80K people out at Coachella and need FAA-approval for your show.. They WILL require a valid-Variance, and you cannot 'pass Go' with them, with a '...Huh??'.

There are US-based Co.s that offer *Certified* (both Legal, and Compliant..) Projectors, and going that route will save you potential liability, and wasting your time. Yes, there *is* One or two Chijector Co.s (ABLE Laser, Neo-Neon, iirc, etc..) that does-have some models 'certified', but.. This is one of the things we can 'discuss'...It's not only 'up-front Price' you need to consider..

ie: WHEN something breaks on your 'entry-level pj'.. Do you want to HAVE to be dealing with some guy, who barely-speaks English, only thru email, on the other side of the planet / deal with (another round..) of International shipping-risks? (..PS, I'm not knocking any-ONE Co, in-particular, just saying, in-general, of 'dealing w/ import Co's..) OR, would you rather deal with someone that a) knows the product, b) knows the 'Regs' / safety-issues with 'mods' or upgrades, etc, c) Understands English d) is (possibly) even willing / able to help you with a 'cross-rental' / surrogate-system, while you wait for your's to be fixed? You quickly begin to see how it can be 'pay now, or pay, later'.. Just some food for thought..

PPS - AVOID 'LASERWORLD' SHYTE AT ALL COSTS. True, the 'other-Co lines' they BOUGHT (really, no 'credit to them'.. ) like RTi's and SwissLase, ARE very-high quality, and some-models, even US-Certified.. BUT - at the $$-level you are talking.. Avoid them like the bubonic-plague (imho.. The 'RTi's / Swisslase' models (new) will be *much* higher than $700. Jus sayin'..
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-22-2014 at 15:45. Reason: ps / pps
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I see that you are 818, Im in Los Angeles too. I know this may sound strange but is there anyway I can meet up and physically check out your lasers?
    -

Welcome Anthony

Look up 'LEM' on the forum (Laser Enthusiast Meeting). This is THE best way of getting into lasers.

I'm pretty new to all this - went to my first UKLEM last year and was blown away! Learnt a ton of stuff too - so much so that I went to DutchLEM this weekend and learnt a shed-load there too, plus met some really great people and had a great laugh at the bar until 4.30 in the morning

I have 2 more LEMs planned for this year - UKLEM and ShowLEM (both in uk).

This weekend I got to play with Beyond software rigged up to 4x home-built 5Watt RGB projectors, I tested my LSX abstract shows on a home built single mode setup with awesome beam specs and scanners.

If you can make it to a LEM before you buy anything, you will save a lot of money and have a great time
    [edit] and meet some great people! [/edit]

Keith

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You may hit friction in the Kali scene asking for a tagalong. The idea is if they let you ride along they just created a possible competitor. There are a few hobbyists and semi-pros out that way that may be more friendly. There is one pro company that may be friendly, and your already talking to him in the post below. He needs to translate and explain what he is saying a bit, as he is speaking in industry jargon. This is why a LEM is a good idea.

Chapter two of Laser-FX The Light Show Handbook: which is no longer in publication.

I quote:

Can you make money doing lasers?

NO.

End chapter two.

What L. Michael Roberts (no relation) intended in that chapter is that some times the laser is a small part of the picture.

These days you often need a lot more gear then just one projector. You also need the social connections to get work, and you need "musicality". Can you play an instrument or sing? Can you do line drawings freehand? Use 3D Studio Max or similar? Do you like board and component level electronics work?

You have to invest money to make money. One in seven small businesses fail. This is often a low profit margin gig for the huge amount of time you must invest. Hence my point that a good girl can be a lifelong friend and more worthy of your time. Do you understand what a business plan is?, what a incidental cost is?, what a sunk cost is? Do you have a market now, or a way of marketing your services?

The ride along is the right idea. Just achieving it, in your local area may be, um, interesting.... I'm in Ohio, so a little far away to show you the software. I assemble my own gear, so I can't recommend anything right now.

Not too many Californians hang out on PL who actually do shows. A lot of them do read it, but few post.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-22-2014 at 15:49. Reason: Can you play a
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...