Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: New red laser diode from Oclaro

In post #21 Dave lists the emitter at 40um x 2 um. I believe this is very close to the size of the emitter in the G71 and the beam quality of this diode is substantially better than the beam from the P73. Once DTR has some more samples it will be important to see if the power round-over of this diode is higher than the G71. Even passively cooled these Mitsu diodes will run all day @ 900mA. They are very conservatively rated. I am hoping the Oclaro diodes will deliver G71 beam quality with at least P73 power, but we'll see.

Thanks for that, Eric. I missed Dave's post.

Interesting... Like you, I'd be happy if they did indeed produce P73 power (or better) with G71 beam quality.

One thing that bothers me though is that the datasheet specifies 700 mw only with active cooling (below 30 degrees C). Without the active cooling, they only rate the diode at 500 mw. Historically, the Mitsubishi diodes have behaved similarly (you can get more power out of them if you keep them cool), but to the best of my knowledge they (Mitsubishi) never published this on the datasheet.

So I'm wondering if Oclaro just decided to be a little less conservative when they wrote the datasheet for these new diodes to make them appear to be superior to the Mitsubishi diodes?

Adam

[QUOTE][So I'm wondering if Oclaro just decided to be a little less conservative when they wrote the datasheet for these new diodes to make them appear to be superior to the Mitsubishi diodes?/QUOTE]

That's my point as well. The power round-over and the max before LED combined with the near field diameter and divergence with a typical lens such as the Optima ( a good data base) will answer my questions.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you don't want to wait, it looks like they're available here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oclaro-HL631...item20e2cfbc0c
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks for the link Chris.

Hmm... I'm tempted, as the price is even lower than what DTR quoted. But I think I'll wait just the same. To be honest, I really need to finish a couple other projects first before I start building my reds.

Adam

I will wait till next week as a couple of dollars to support a regular contributor is a no-brainier. What I can't wait for is some test results. If I didn't intend to test these myself then I wouldn't buy any until someone DID test them. If they are no more powerful than the G71 then why pay more, upgrade/build around these? If the beam is the same as the P73 then ditto. The manufacturer intends to release a 1W version in less than a year and so if these don't quite justify the investment then the next version might. There is definitely an intention to increase power in the red band for display purposes.

From my perspective the shot DTR posted said enough. Even if they can only be run as hard as the 73, they do so with a smaller stripe, so the power density can be made greater. That'll do me until the next ones come along. I have to make these new builds anyway so I'll just take what's best at the time, which look to be the new Oclaro diodes. And who knows what will shake out in testing
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if you don't want to wait, it looks like they're available here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oclaro-HL631...item20e2cfbc0c
    It is a preorder. They don't have them in stock either They are just willing to presell them. I have watched the handling time go down by a day every day for the last week on that listing which matches when I am expecting mine. Must be getting them from the same place.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

good catch!

i'd rather buy from you, any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    It is a preorder. They don't have them in stock either They are just willing to presell them. I have watched the handling time go down by a day every day for the last week on that listing which matches when I am expecting mine. Must be getting them from the same place.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i'd rather buy from you, any day of the week.
    Seconded!

Adam