Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DMX control with QS or LSX?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    By the way, we support both Enttec and DMX King. It's the same thing and we found that it's possible to load firmware from one into the other with no problem! (seems like someone copied someone else...)

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That should be possible.

Bill
    Well, so it is. Although I haven't connected it all up and tried it yet, I've re-studied the capabilities in Quickshow, and I stand corrected. Still learning, that's why I'm here!

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    what does this mean?
    DMX King supplied us with updated firmware for their board. We loaded it and tested it. Then, just out of curiosity we used their app and loaded the same firmware into the ENTTEC and it worked. I can say the same thing vice-versa. (And by the way, we have new firmware for the ENTTEC that works better... ) I was surprised by all of this, and it was Aaron in our office who discovered it.

To me it means that the one design is a copy of the other design. But as I understand it (and I don't know all of the history so I may very well misunderstand it), ENTTEC has an open-source project too as well as these "paid" products. It could be that the open-source project came first, and the paid one came later, making it very easy to duplicate since all of the schematics, firmware, etc. etc. and so on were already public.

Bill

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cool. thanks for the clarification. as a tech person, i'm always interested in how code propagates.

DMX King supplied us with updated firmware for their board. We loaded it and tested it. Then, just out of curiosity we used their app and loaded the same firmware into the ENTTEC and it worked. I can say the same thing vice-versa. (And by the way, we have new firmware for the ENTTEC that works better... ) I was surprised by all of this, and it was Aaron in our office who discovered it.

To me it means that the one design is a copy of the other design. But as I understand it (and I don't know all of the history so I may very well misunderstand it), ENTTEC has an open-source project too as well as these "paid" products. It could be that the open-source project came first, and the paid one came later, making it very easy to duplicate since all of the schematics, firmware, etc. etc. and so on were already public.

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    cool. thanks for the clarification. as a tech person, i'm always interested in how code propagates.
    Yes, well, me too, but being somewhat of a misanthrope, I am often disappointed by this. After all, sometimes the guy doing the copying has either better marketing or worst ethics (or both), and never acknowledges the original person whom they copied.

For example, I am always disappointed when customers are amazed by some of the features our competitors have (but who have no access to Pangolin software) and believe the competitor must have come up with the idea themselves. This is even worst (for me) at trade shows, when these customers come to our tradeshow booth and say something like "AHA you have that **too**????". Yes, we have it "too" and in fact, we're the guys who invented it!! But such is the way of the world...

For decades I always wondered what Steve Jobs and the Mac users were complaining about. Microsoft Windows had features, and the Mac had them **too**. It wasn't until I got a Mac myself and then started looking into the history that I discovered that "yes, we have it too, and in fact we're the guys who invented it" really started with Apple. (Or at least those are the guys who commercialized it, since the very very very first was actually people at Xerox PARC, or were they???)

I do wish that there was greater awareness of exactly who came up with what first. I was always frustrated when competitors touted "new features" and never acknowledged where they got the ideas for those "new features". Eventually we started patenting things, if, for no other reason, to establish an undeniable public record of exactly who thought of what, and when...

Bill

Just excavated this thread and think the initial question is still unanswered. Maybe needs a little update. Which present dmx controllers are supported by LSX ? Got an Medialas hyperport pro with integrated DMX port, but couldn`t manage to get it working with LSX. Do I need a special .dll library or in addition an extra Enttec interface ?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

LSX isn't particularly good at DMX. You're better off using another program for DMX and sync it with LSX over MIDI timecode.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    LSX isn't particularly good at DMX. You're better off using another program for DMX and sync it with LSX over MIDI timecode.
    Hallo en bedankt voor je goed YouTube tutorials ...

That`s just what i´m trying to avoid: add new soft- and hardware. I only got an RGB stage light ad want to add some ambient light or strobe effects to my home disco. No complex light editing in mind.
    Last edited by LightFox; 01-06-2017 at 05:33.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I think your info is dated, my friend. I have been using DMX controlled with LSX a lot lately and find it to be spot-on. I have an Entec Pro device and a DMX King device and they both work equally well. (Note that the cheap Entec Lite device is NOT supported and won't work.)

I am currently controlling over a hundred channels very reliably. The signal response is fast and stable. Sure, it is not as elegant or easy for DMX control when you have lots of DMX devices, but its more than adequate for controlling lumia devices, ILDA switchers, DMX foggers and so forth.

Lightfox: As I recall, LSX should detect your device as soon as it is connected and associate it with the first timeline. Be sure not to check the 'use DAC controller' because that tries to use the DAC's DMX control, if any, instead of the Entec/DMX King device that you have attached.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 01-06-2017 at 07:02.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I never got my DMX King to work but it's been a while (and several LSX versions) since I tried.

LSX' DMX implementation is a bit cumbersome as you need to place an event for every channel and every change in configuration (but you can use expressions which is cool). Still better than Chamsys' MagicQ of course. Especially for small setups.